1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I need help finding who made this pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Raffxr7, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I came across a briar pipe labeled as "Radiator / Air Cooled / Italy" It has a gold R logo on the stem, I believe it is plated and not solid. This is not a Kirsten Radiator, or at least is not any that I have identified, and looks nothing like one. Countless hours spent googling for any trace of information led me to one person who had seen one of these in person... and had no idea what it was either. I pointed out the damage to the (my) pipe to the flea market owner, she said she was going to throw it out if it was not functional. I offered a dollar for it, and became the new owner. I couldn't let something so unique slip through my fingers. If anyone can direct me to find who made this, the approximate age, or anything at all about this pipe, please pass the information on!

I attached a copper band to repair a crack in the shank. There is other damage, but I am not yet skilled enough to repair the rest.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAo/OnNJpI-fJ1U/w497-h373/Radiator+Pipe.jpg

2. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Looks like a pipe I have called "The Doodler". Is there a star on the stem? Not identical to mine but mine has holes in the same places.

3. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

The stem just has a gold (plated or solid, I haven't determined which) "R" on it, where a logo normally goes. I've only seen one reference to this type of pipe online, well-two now - I've been so stumped by it that I have a love/hate relationship with it now lol. Thanks for your response!

4. phinz

phinz Active Member

What does the R look like?

5. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Capitalized, sans serif font, the outer corners of the letter touch the edges of a circle that is aprox. 1.5 mm thick, the entire emblem is rotated just shy of 45 degrees if the pipe were oriented to be laid down with the bowl facing up. The stem is a saddle style and uses a brass washer between it and the briar. I just found my camera so I can post pictures that aren't blurry, but I have to find the card reader first... The bowl was much more red before I touched it up with beeswax (and cleaned off a thick layer of grime.)

6. phinz

phinz Active Member

Raffxr7 likes this.
  7. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Wow! It looks to be a Roverart or a Plymouth, if it wasn't for this headache I could probably tell the difference between them. The R has the rounded top incorporated with the encircling, leaving no room between the two. The Y in Italy closely matches the Plymouth. I have heard that a Peterson is a good pipe, which would explain why this example was so heavily used... and why it has actual gold on the emblem. Now to sort out the car brand on a search engine so I can find more information :D Thank you so much!

phinz likes this.
  8. phinz

phinz Active Member

No problem! Good luck on sorting out a "Plymouth Radiator Pipe" search that yields anything tobacco related. :p:

9. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

It's suppose to be a peterson second pipe, if I can find what peterson called it-I can get some information... I hope

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.