1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I need some quick help about a Comoy

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dbt13, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbt13

dbt13 Active Member

My wife and I are visiting the in-laws today and tomorrow and while her and her sister went Christmas shopping, I found a little tobacco shop. This shop had a few Comoy Black Corals (made in Italy) for $45.

Does anyone know anything about the Comoys being made today? Are they good for the price?

I ask because my wife wants to get me a pipe for Christmas and since we're trying to stick to a tight budget this year I've been making a list of a few affordable pipes for her.

2. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I didn't know there was such a thing as an Italian Comoy. If it looks like it's drilled properly, I don't see anything wrong with giving it a shot. You should also consider a Savinelli Baronet. I've never smoked one, but there's folks on here who like them pretty well, and they're about the same price and style as a Black Coral. A Peterson Kapet is a decently safe bet as well.

dbt13 likes this.
  3. dbt13

dbt13 Active Member

Thanks!

4. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

Speaking from experience I'd pass on those new Comoys, unfortunately, you almost always get what you pay for. Spend the $50 on a estate, pre-Cadogan GBD, you will be much better served.

dbt13 and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  5. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

dbt13 likes this.
  6. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

Pre-Cadogan Comoys are treasures of the pipe world, unfortunately this is not one of those.

dbt13 likes this.
  7. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

True.

dbt13 likes this.
  8. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

If you watch Ebay, pre-Cadogan Comoys are available, but will take some work. The high grades, Blue Riband, the Straight Grains get all the attention (deservedly so) and bring bigger bucks.

Both of these are pre-Cadogan pipes have the drilled, three step "C" logo and smoke wonderfully
    This Patina was $23:
    [​IMG]

And this Old Bruyere $17:
    [​IMG]

WrightwoodJohn and dbt13 like this.
  9. dbt13

dbt13 Active Member

Thanks for all the info!

10. mattia76

mattia76 Member

Those Italian-made Comoy's were a partnership with the Lorenzo company of Italy. Both companies had better days in the pre-1980's.

dbt13 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.