1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I now own a briar pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by s1mp13m4n, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n Member

I am rather new to pipe smoking and have been smoking a MM corn cob pipe to learn with. Through this forum I was sent three very nice briar pipes, for which I am very thankful and also excited. I am looking forward to learning how to care for and maintain these pipes, while also enjoying smoking them. I am reading up on how to break in a briar pipe as this is new to me. I am open to any advice or links you can give me to care for, clean, break in, and enjoy these new to me pipes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

They're beautiful pipes. Unfortunately, as first responder, I'm not the person to ask how to take care of them. My next thread was going to be about how much a negligent pipe can expect from his bad habits. Good luck and listen to the experts. I don't think you can do too much damage if you don't follow the letter of the law though. These are some beauties that deserve respect rather than my knockabouts.

Cheers,
    WK

3. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

If you've been "cobbing" then you already have the basic idea.
    Take your time, have fun, and don't try to learn everything at once.

I've gotten into a routine where I clean each pipe after each smoke. Some say that's good, some say it's overkill. I do it because I have the time to do it, plus I tend to be a little anal when it comes to taking care of my stuff. Put together something that works for you. Take your time and enjoy the ride. :cheers:

4. WillH

WillH Active Member

Paul,

Are those pipes new - as in unsmoked? If they have been smoked you're home free and they shouldn't need much breaking in - if any! Just load and go!

Looks like you made a nice haul - enjoy!

will

5. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n Member

All three pipes are clean inside with no black or cake in them at all. I am excited. I am also use to a filtered pipe so this will also be new to me. I also want to give credit where credit is due, the pipes came from Sasquatch.

6. WillH

WillH Active Member

Well, in that case it all yours. Personally I HATE TO BREAK IN A NEW PIPE!

IMO, proper breaking in a new pipe is critical for future enjoyment. It's must be done and it must be done properly. The worst part - it takes patients. Don't rush the process. Each pipe is different. I never had a pipe break-in with less that 20-30 smokes. It usually takes more like 60-100 smokes. That's why Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) would hire someone to do it!

Here's my suggestions - I'm sure there are others. Do what you want - my process works.

Wipe the inside of the bowl with 151 pure alcohol - it must be clean inside. Let the pipe set for a day and dry out.

Before your first smoke apply a little moisture to the interior of the bowl with your finger and load the pipe with a ball of good burly tobacco. Smoke the pipe to the very bottom - relight and tamp as required. Leaving unsmoked tobacco at the bottom of the bowl insures a sour pipe - don't do it. If you smell and taste wood - SLOW DOWN USE LIGHT PUFFS. Wipe the pipe bowls interior with a wad of paper towel after each smoke. This ensures a hard cake. Try not to tamp too much as this usually burns the heel of the pipe by forcing a wad of red hot tobacco into the bottom of the bowl.

Your pipe is broken-in when you can smoke it start to finish without fussing with it. Constant relights and constant tamping. If you set the pipe aside for a few minutes and it doesn't go out, and just a quick puff starts it smoking again, it's done. When all this happens the pipe is keeping a constant temperature within the bowl. ALL PIPES ARE DIFFERENT. Some pipes demand a thick coating (cake) of carbon and some perform best with a light cake. Listen to the pipe! It will let you know what is best. It's all about the briar.

I would NOT smoke the pipe more than once every two/three days until broken-in.

Will

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

If you opt for english/oriental/balkan tobacco (latakia content), keep one of your pipes exclusively for those blends; maybe keep your cobs for aromatics.

8. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

9. pottsy

pottsy Member

If they came from Sas, check them for polar bear turds. Those Canadians are real practical jokers. :whistle:

10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Just smoke them slow, sips rather than puffs, keep them cool but "warm". Cake will come! Don't try to build a cake, ever watch a pot of water you're trying to boil...............?

Looks like you have a nice variety of sizes and shapes, CONGRATZ!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

11. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n Member

LOL on the PAD, but lack of money saves me from that. :) OK more questions, why do some say you need multiple pipes and you smoke burley in one, areomatic in another, and english in another? Would using one pipe for them all change or mix the flavors of the tobacco thus you never get the true taste of what you are smoking? How do I know if I am puffing too much or the pipe is too hot? Is there a way to keep tobacco from being sucked into the mouth? Remember I am use to a filtered corn cob. :) Now lets say I enjoyed a bowl in pipe A, how long must I wait to use that same briar pipe again?

12. Puff The Magic

Having dedicated pipes for general blend types maximizes the experience(s) of the toby you currently have in the bowl and minimizes the prior smokes "tainting" or "ghosting" deconstructively.

The extreme situation is having a particular pipe dedicated to a particular toby/blend. Maximizes everything good about that toby.

Pipe will remain comfortable or comfortably warm without getting too hot to touch. Rule of thumb is if it's too hot to hold up against your cheek, then it's too hot. Back off, stop puffing/sipping and let the pipe cool. If it goes out, no biggie! Light her up again later! It's ok!

If you take a look at the MM Cob geometry, you'll notice the draft hole (hole in bowl end of shank) is huge, that allows smaller toby chunks to travel! Don't worry about not having a filter in your briarz. They really don't need them. Just smoke 'em! Smoke them slowly and you won't have any problems.

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

13. Puff The Magic

Each pipe is different. Some need more dry time, some less. Different toby smoked in the same pipe may generate more or less moisture as it's burned. So I use as "Puff's Rule" is if I can still smell the moisture (it'll be strong) then I let the pipe rest longer. If it smells sort of clean or doesn't have a strong damp smell, I feel "she's in the batter's box"!

So, not only is each pipe different, what you smoked in the pipe (if different) may influence dry/rest time.

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

14. s1mp13m4n

s1mp13m4n Member

Thank you all for the help. Time to go and enjoy a pipe and stop asking questions. :)

15. Puff The Magic

Ask away! But do smoke AND enjoy your smokez as much as you can. Knowing how to and what to helps you enjoy that much better. So, don't be affraid to ask.

If I can help, I will.

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

That top pipe looks comfy .There isnt any suffering as far as pipe smoking goes , well unless yer smoking mix 79 or Exclusiv sherry and cherry ,listen to these guys and even if ya dont .. youll get it . Wellcome to the world of briars

17. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

Nice pipes, you already have already surpassed my pipe collection. :goodjob:

All of the above advice is good. I will add this, when done with a bowl I will break up the ash, put my thumb over the hole and shake it up to coat the inside of the bowl with ash. I find this helps the get a cake started, and evenly. Last, just take your time and enjoy smoking the pipe, that is what it is all about anyway.

18. Smoke 80

Smoke 80 Member

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I don't want it to die either because there is good information in here. For me, it might already be too late. I didn't do any of this. Not for lack of being warned, it's a patience thing. I was fresh off of not smoking cigarettes and I didn't have time for drying rum and alcohol and honey. I dove right in. Plus, asking around, I heard to just "smoke it". To break it in, you just smoke it. You don't want burning sugars (honey), alcohol could prematurely dry the wood, stripping the wood of it's natural oils which prevent it from flaring through.

I want to understand this carbon layer process but I'm starting to believe this is more baptism ritual than a process by which to ensure a better smoking pipe. From what I gather, the carbon "cake" process is advisable to have so that you have a pipe which will require less relighting, less tamps? Better flavor?

I can totally understand not leaving a wet dottle in the bottom of the pipe. That makes sense to be that you wouldn't want a moisture around wood. It's the cake that I want to understand better. Someone's tag line around here is "The cake is a lie" and I want to understand that too.

I've read that you don't want to get your pipe too hot. There have been times when my pipe is so hot to the touch that I have to put it down or hold it only by the stem. I've read that if you can't hold it on your face for 10 seconds, you're smoking it too fast. I haven't noticed the cake acting as a thermal barrier between the briar wood and the burning tobacco at all. It seems to be the same heat as it ever was.

I've been told to NEVER scrape anything. Bring it in, and free of charge, the not-so-local tobacconist will ream the inside of the bowl to an uniform width of a dime around the bowl, but scraping or an any way disturbing the cake was ill-advised.

Is there some science behind this or can this be classified more as personal preference ritual..?

19. WillH

WillH Active Member

Enjoy!

Will

20. Puff The Magic

Yeah! What WillH said! Don't get too hyped up on what you hear/read. WillH speaks the truth and my experiences echo what he wrote.

Smoke to the bottom! A meer and I guess a clay are the only pipes that are forgiving for "not smoking to the end of the bowl". I don't have any experience with clay but I believe clay smokes similar to meer.

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.