I only like the pretty pipes.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by martin, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AkBuba

AkBuba Member

I'm new to this stuff, so I stipulate that my opinion is worth just what you are paying for it...
    however, in guns, knives, furniture, seems like wood and metal items, I look very carefully at the quality/performance first. But the look/feel is VERY important... so even if one of these items functions great, but is ugly as the boss's daughter, I will pass. I find I will use one that looks better much more. There are areas where this doesn't apply, for instance, if i'm hunting out of a boat, my rifle is going to get beat to crap, so i'm only concerned about function. Is there a time where this is an issue with pipes?

sorringowl likes this.

2. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

This reminds me of what my great-uncle (a Browning man) used to say to my grandpa (a Mossberg man). He'd say, "Son a Mossberg shotgun is like a fat girlfriend. She works the same. You just don't want to take her out in public." I wonder why someone hasn't applied that line to pipes, yet?

AkBuba likes this.
  3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Amen

The whole package is important to me. Shape, craftsmanship, coloring, stemwork, weight, engineering, and feel- both in my hand and clenched. There are varying degrees of each, that range from acceptance to admiration, but as a combined effort "speak to me" before a purchase.

Nate likes this.
  4. 40yrs2L8

40yrs2L8 Member

My first and only pipe I have (for the moment) wasnt bought for looks but by how it felt in my hand. Its light and has a sanblasted finish so I dont have to worry about it getting banged up. There are alot of pretty polished up beauties out there that Id like to own, but from what I've learned on here Id be just as happy with a MM if it smoked well. As for my Carolina Briar, I know little about how different pipes smoke so I had to go with the sales guys opinion on it but I havent had an un satisfying smoke so far... a lil tounge bite but that was my fault. I never blame the equipment its just the operator...

5. Baccy Bert

Baccy Bert Member

I like rugged, practical and simple pipes. If it feels comfortable clenching and in my hand I'm happy. Cobs are very uncommon over here so It probably attracts more looks than my briars but I love how they look. To me they are an age old way of smoking tobacco that has barely changed over the years. If i could get them with the straight all-wood stem I would. I'm not really up to date with what shapes and finishes are in vogue, but a cob is always in fashion when I smoke. As for grains, I'm no too fussed. I am yet to own a rusticated pipe but they look great.Shapes? Nothing fancy for me, a straight billiard, prince or bulldog would be my ideal pipes. Dublin and Acorn shapes are also pretty nice. However, funnily enough, because of their appearance, I will never smoke a meer or calabash. Keep it simple IMO :puffy:

Skrymr likes this.
  6. sorringowl

sorringowl Emoticonally challenged

If pipes are like women, than, I like my pipes really pretty, but with something just a little off (say, like a really pretty girl with a chipped tooth) and, ones who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty. To me, that's perfection.

I have an Ardor Meteora bent ball with a chip on the upper button (actually, part of the upper button is missing) that I got for a song on ePay. Thought of making a new stem for it but, that just didn't feel right. So, I just put a rubber bitty on the stem and now I have a super fancy pipe that I can take on a fancy night out or just to go fishing. Hmm...now that I think about it...that's how I like my women too... I like a girl that's pretty, and cleans up nice, but also likes to go camping.

I think all of my favorite pipes are like that. Some of my other favorites are a big, rusticated Cavicchi bent brandy (with a pinhole on the upper stem--I love that pipe), and an old Brebbia 6002 bent billiard with a ebonite stem that oxidizes even if you look at it too much (which I only smoke Old Dog out of--cause it's an old dog). All of these, to me, look beautiful (although they're all very rustic), and all of these feel good in the hand and mouth and, most importantly, smoke like a dream.

These, and a few, select others, are all part of my California Natural Disaster Emergency Kit (or, PYHBYKAKYAG Kit).:puffy:

BradNTX likes this.
  7. woody

woody Admin Admin

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

You said it well on both counts- pipe and women. I might vary it a bit, but you nailed the sentiment right on. That description is one reason I got married. I found a pretty girl that likes to go camping, off-roading, and even bought me my first pipe and tobacco. She'll help restore a piece of furniture and work in the yard, but also puts on heels and a dress and foofs her hair for a night on the town.

I like pipes that are pretty, but I don't mind using it as it was designed- to admire it's looks, and to be a partner in burning some leaf.

If you think about it, we start our relationship the same for a pipe too.
    B&M Owner: "Sir would you like to take this pipe?"
    Customer: "I do"

Followed by an evening of hot consumation... :ngty:

Skrymr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.