1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I seem to have anti-pad

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ddandb, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddandb

ddandb Member

This has been going on for a couple of months now.
    I'm happy with all the pipes I have and can't seem to get interested in buying anymore.
    Sales, Ebay, locals, other peoples pipes. They all look nice, but I have no desire to buy any. It's like I've developed a bad case of common sense.
    Even TAD is way down. I look at what I have, half of which I've never tried or opened yet and figure I really don't need any more.
    Pipe smoking is still at an all time high so that's not the problem.
    Something is wrong here and I need help.

2. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Nothing wrong!

I'm right there with you. I have a good selection of pipes that I'm happy with, I've found tobacco that I'm content smoking. I have no urges to buy right now, and haven't for some time. I think we've reached some sort of pipe nirvana.....

3. WillH

WillH Active Member

You're not alone! Haven't bought a pipe of any kind for a couple years - it's actually rather nice! Nothing to fuss with - just smoking what I have and enjoying each pipe.
    Tobacco! Doing just fine there too! I'll make an order soon, but there's no rush!

Why would you need help? Is being responsible, restrained and in control not considered fashionable? Sounds okay to me....:)

Will

4. ddandb

ddandb Member

Pipe nirvana. I like that.

5. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I certainly don't have the PAD, I have plenty of pipes, if I buy new ones they are from ebay (OK, I just ordered a mixed lot of pipes and pipe bits off ebay... bad photos, not sure what I'm really getting) or flea markets. I only smoke a bowl or two a day so I'm not really buying to much tobacco.... But if you want to live vicariously, I should get a wire to wear when I go into a B&M, I'll call you before I walk in.... Just stopped by the not so local B&M on my way back from an appointment. I was looking for a tobacco Will recommended, they didn't have it but I thought I would pick up tin of Escudo; their tins are 2 or three years old). Then I'm their looking at the other tins thinking that I should not have stopped, but it would be OK if I picked one more.... The had two tins of Squadron leader, I hadn't tried it and I remember Herb likes it, so I grab a tin of that.... Then I asked if the had any Dunhill tins, they guy tells me Dunhill stopped selling them... (His knowledge is a little out of date...) I tell him they started making them again.... pause, "well had you tried 965" ..... he thinks he may still have some bulk 965, looks in the back and comes back with a 2 oz bag. I'm a little skeptical of bulks because they can so easily be something else... so I ask if its really from Dunhill or is it a "match". No, he says is Dunhill that used to get from Lane (I guess they used to be the US supplier?) Now I'm standing there not knowing what to do.... I tried some of the new 965 the Beale sent me, it was ok (only two bowls so far)... So was I getting some aged "new old stock" that should be really good, or was it a fake..... I felt bad he went to the trouble of looking for it, and it was only 10$ so I put the Squadron Leader back.... I did ask if they had Penzance (I think I remembered that was hard to find). After getting home, I realized that Squadron Leader was very well liked and could be hard to find.... No big deal, I have a lifetime to try things and I have enough for now. But, was there a point to my story, oh yea, ddandb, if I got the wire you could keep me on track while at the B&M... "ok, walking into the store..... " "What am I looking for..." "What that mixture 79" "hey, put that down...."
    -David

Kiowapipe likes this.
  6. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

You have walked the eight-fold pipe path, my child :)
    I'm pretty much set for pipes at the moment too. I haven't even been looking for eBay steals lately- although Moo's Dog Days thread almost put me over the edge (curse you Moo! ;)) I decided to try my hand at crafting a dog for the party, but results are as yet uncertain.
    Any pipe-related fundage has lately been redirected to tobacco stockpiling. I wouldn't say I have TAD either, but I have a pretty scant cellar and I don't want to sleep through what I'm pretty sure are the waning days of a pipe tobacco golden age.

7. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

No PAD here in quite some time. I shocked the Bride last February...went to the St. Louis Pipe Show.....and didn't buy a SINGLE PIPE!
    She thought I was sick!
    I *have* been adding a bit to the cellar of late; two tins each of Escudo and SG Navy Flake, last week from JFH. Couldn't leave Springfield without helping support my local B&M.

Wanted the NF to compare with my PS NF, then said "to hell with it" and tossed it in the cellar with the Escudo. I have enough (MORE than enough!) open for now....

8. ichabod

ichabod Member

whew, I thought I was coming down with something. I've been feeling the same here! I really like some pipes out there but have no real desire to try and obtain any more. I feel that I have enough and our money is best suited for things we need rather than things that I want at the moment.

I still smoke just as much, I guess I just feel comfortable with all I have and don't see the need to get anything more. It helps to try and steer clear of the pipe and tobacco sections here, haha

I think it may be because we just moved and it's still fresh in my memory, all that crap we have and how many boxes we've had to pack and unpack and so on. Plus my daughter will be arriving within 5 weeks or so and I have a feeling that every penny I have to my name will go to her :)

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I got enough pipes to last my lifetime but I look at pipes everyday . I'm always on the look out for work pipes .. not garbage pipes though . I spend time lookin at pipe shapes at least once a day . I'm amazed at the variations of traditional shapes the most . I think I've seen 1000 different billiards etc .. and I still see new , to me , billiards once in a while and I like that . I have loved looking at them since I was a teenager . I'm at a point where I dont buy " killer " pipes anymore . I figure I've got some killer ones now , some really good ones and some work pipes ... which I go through pretty regular . Every now and then I'll bag an inexpensive pipe off ebay . Like the JET pipe I got the other day !

10. ddandb

ddandb Member

As in your daughter has been away and she is coming back home to see you or a new baby??

11. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

......mmmm....you must be an 'old fart' or 'codger' now! - but this one still gets the occasional burning desire ......for another pipe - that is!! :rolleyes:

ddandb likes this.
  12. ddandb

ddandb Member

:xd:

13. ichabod

ichabod Member

Our first child, sorry I wasn't very clear, reading it again I can see how that could have been worded better.. We are both very excited and my wife and I were actually talking last night and realized that we talk like we already know her. Heck, she's already ridiculously spoiled and she hasn't even been born yet, haha

But yeah, back on topic, I have maybe 15 or so pipes, some I don't smoke because they need some attention. But of the ones I do smoke I have plenty (more than 10). Sure there are some out there that I would love to own, I just guess I feel like I have plenty, more than I really need in all honesty. I just can't bring myself to spend more money on this when I seem content with what I already have.

If I do happen to find an awesome deal again then I will probably pick it up, but I am not actively looking for anything like I was.

14. Iain

Iain Active Member

I just won another pipe on eBay, theres 5 more on the watch list, looks like my PAD is in full swing.

15. Beale

Beale Active Member

My only 2 recent Pipe were very inexpensive. I will sit on what I have for a while. I am happy with my tobacco and pipes right now, Beale.

16. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I have PAD, but situation does not warrant spending the $$ on them at the moment.

17. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I still have Pad, but it's a focused case of PAD. I'm trying to rebuild my collection, and I'm keeping with Pete's and cobs. I like Peterson's interpretations of classic styles and their willingness to experiemtn and meld those styles (this is particularly notable in their pipes that have a "B" designator before the serial number. Luckily I don't get stupid crazy on it, because I have about $75 or so a month that I keep out as an allowance and that has to support all my interests - including pipes.

My issue is TAD, and right now I have more tins open than I really should. I probably need therapy, and I'll go after the next smoke break.

18. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I too have been going "nutso" PAD since TAD is basically "zilch"! I guess it's repressed TAD aggression displaced onto and towards PAD energy and I'm going through it now. :)

Or, it's "Codger Sex" (read that term here on PSF folks! ;) ), every new pipe or pipes is like sex or an orgy and I be havin' a grand time ! :D

Or, my meds are out of whack (ranout, took too many, not enough, wrong one(s) ) and I'ma havin' PAD-o-mania! :)

Anyone recognize themself in the above descriptions? :)

Ed
    Puff (Peakin' w/PAD)

19. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

If ddandb is suffering from anti-PAD, it sounds like you've got a case of maxi-PAD, Ed.

Snake, Kiowapipe and dwaugh like this.
  20. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Seems many of us have a case of anti-PAD.
    Smoking is in full swing, but no purchasing
    as of late. TAD has slowed down too. Of
    course, I just bought a 'puter, so my PAD/TAD
    funds got re-directed. Maybe next month
    I'll continue to fill the cellar.

Herb, "maxi-PAD" :haha:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.