I should be smoking some OGS right now....

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by erickghint, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erickghint

erickghint Member

I put in an order with Smokingpipes the other day, for some OGS and a tin of Balkan Sasieni. I patiently waited for the two days that it normally takes to get from SC to Northern FL. (I know it's not a long time) I checked the tracking # yesterday, and it was in Jacksonville! Awesome! But then... I check my email today, and see that there's an exception on my delivery status. It's in TAMPA! What?! It was in the proper city yesterday, and had its destination scan! BAH! So now I have to wait until tomorrow. Meh... I'm done whining now.

I would like to point out that this is in NO WAY the fault of Smokingpipes.com. I'm convinced that if it were up to them, they would have it hand delivered themselves. Also, this is the first time UPS has screwed up my delivery.

2. Stoked

Stoked Member

Oh I feel your pain! I love OGS (have about 6 100g tins) and am spoiled by smokingpipes orders delivered to me the next day, free, so long as I order by around noon on the preceding day. You are a shrewd judge for ordering OGS.

To say they have amazing customer service is an understatement.

By the way, gram for gram, if you do a comparison between OGS and bulk McC (like 2010) at smokingpipes, you'll find the OGS is less expensive. Go figure...

[​IMG]
    ~ Orlik Golden Sliced ~
    Smoked by all shrewd judges
    and "geniuses"

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Shrewd Judges unite! Erick I could send you some
    OGS, but you'll get yours soon enough. I've been
    waiting to order more so I can add some Dunhill to
    my TAD order, but I'm quickly running out. One
    cannot be devoid of OGS, period.

dp

4. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Never have smoked this OGS, but if Eric is going to whine about it :whistle:, I must put it on the TAD list. So how much does the citrus come out?

5. erickghint

erickghint Member

I've never tried it, actually. This will be my first time ordering it, but I think I'll dig it. Virginias and Burley? What's not to like?

Miami, I might be able to hook a fellow Florida boy up if you'd like. Just shoot me a PM with your addy, and I'll get a sample out for ya (when it actually comes...).

6. Stoked

Stoked Member

There is just a hint of citrus IMO. It is a very tame VA with little/no bite and is moderately sweet. It has just the right amount of burley to round it out, giving it some body and some spice. It holds flavor down to the bottom, in fact it gets nice and spicy towards the finish.

I think you both will be very pleased with OGS. If possible dedicate a briar to it. If that's not possible, dedicate a cob to it. But this smoke deserves a dedicated pipe to fully enjoy it's subtle flavors IMO. If you smoke it in a pipe that had a VAPER in it, you may not fully appreciate it. But you could probably get away with straight VA like McC 2010, McC #22, and FVF in the same pipe. :)

[​IMG]
    ~ Orlik Golden Sliced ~
    Smoked by all shrewd judges
    and "geniuses"

7. mpchem

mpchem Member

I smoked my first bowl of OGS last night and haven't really formed an opinion yet. Good to hear others talk about their take so I'll know what to look for.

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

+1 to what Stoked said.
    Hint of citrus and sweetness.

dp

9. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Man that sucks man i feel your pain i have had ups do that to me on my last pipe i bought, the one i had to salt clean 3 times, but that said ill just go ahead and say it....I HATE ups, i mean really hate.... Here in my neck of the woods i swear a blind monkey could do there job better. Whenever UPS delivers anything to my house i have to go on a serch on my street to find my package.

10. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

Reminds me of what happened on an estate pipe I won at auction here a couple of months ago. Seller was in Cambridge OH (~100 miles from me). Tracked the package from where it was put in the mail in Cambridge, to Columbus OH (about 20 miles from my place), to Atlanta GA (WTF???), to Nashville TN, to Cincinnati OH, to my place. And people wonder why the USPS is always broke....
    :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.