I smoked today for first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

limpinghawk

Tobacco finally came in and so far I've tried the Davidorf flaked medallion,
and the Carter Hall.

I liked the flake, but as of now I can't seem to put down the C.H.
I have one more flake to try it is the stokkebies Navy flake.
I will probably try that later on tonight.

I am using my Jake Hackert cob, as it is the only pipe I have that came in so far.
Although I don't see how much better the Sav. or the Kaywoodie can be to this cob?

The tobacco smoked all the way down with very little fuss,and the smoke was cool throughout, (could be due to the elk horn stem).

I would like to try either some Capt. Black, or some Lanes 1-Q?

Could someone tell me the difference between the Capt. Black -- white, gold, and black labels?

(Not sure if this is the right place for this question)

I want to try and keep with a reasonably priced tobacco,
when I saw what little bit I got of the flake for almost $14.00 (with Shipping) I almost wanted to give up pipe smoking before I got started.

But at least I can see some light in using something like Carter Hall as it is inexpensive and good, at least to me, in fact, I liked it better than the flake.

Any help in the different Capt. Blacks, or the Lanes 1-Q for this newbee would be appreciated.

Thanks.

lastopus

I cant really comment on the different Cpt Blacks because its been 6 or better years since I tried them, The Stokebye Navy Flake is one of my daily smokes, I find it a nice mild clean VA.

Carter hall is a good smoke as well but Ive been hung up on flakes lately and the price of the Navy flake is about as good as it gets IMO. I just bought 24 oz for less than 40 bucks. Thats around 1.50 per oz and will last me quite some time while I stock others in the cellar :D

Ed

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Captain Black is very similar in all packages... the white is "standard" I guess, sort of a chocolate vanilla flavor on a burley/virginia tobacco. The blue is "royal" now, formerly sold as "aromatic". I think it has a little more of the flavoring, a slightly nicer room note. The gold has less of the flavoring and tastes more like virginia. But really, they are fairly similar.

Not sure about 1Q.

Flake tobaccos look very compact in the tin - it's a lot of tobacco though because you only need a tiny bit to smoke for an hour.

Hitch

Sounds like you're off to a great start.

You'll find most long time pipers keep cobs and use them, as well as their collections of fine briars and meers.

CaptBlck; IQ is CaptianBlack, less preservatives, RLP-6 is another version of CaptianBlack , less preservatives. The preservatives are gunk added to make the CB last forever on a store shelf. If you like the scent and taste I suggest the IQ and RLP-6.

The difference is like your wife making you a cake, or buying a Twinkey off the shelf.

Most 'DrugStore' brands have the preservatives, CarterHall and PrinceAlbert dont, a primary reason you'll notice the latter encouraged here so often.

Take care

H

limpinghawk

lastopus said:
I cant really comment on the different Cpt Blacks because its been 6 or better years since I tried them, The Stokebye Navy Flake is one of my daily smokes, I find it a nice mild clean VA.

Carter hall is a good smoke as well but Ive been hung up on flakes lately and the price of the Navy flake is about as good as it gets IMO. I just bought 24 oz for less than 40 bucks. Thats around 1.50 per oz and will last me quite some time while I stock others in the cellar :D

Ed
I just now filled the cob with the Stokkebies, and oh-oh, it is awesome!
Mild, tasty, and actually the price was good considering I was able to fill my cob with about 3/4 of a flake!

I used the method of cutting up the flake into little cubes, and placing it in the bowl without packing, it is smoking great.

I may just change my mind, I didn't care too much for the Davidoff,
but I really am liking this Stokkebie so far.

limpinghawk said:
Any help in the different Capt. Blacks, or the Lanes 1-Q for this newbee would be appreciated.

Thanks.
OK first off go here to read about the ingredients & tobacco reviews.
This will give you a good idea about CB.

If you like one of those blends check out the Lane Limited versions.

I like the Lane RLP-6 this is CB White without all the crap.

You can buy it buy the pound for $22 bucks from Mars Cigars

Enjoy,
PipeCop

limpinghawk

Hitch said:
Sounds like you're off to a great start.

You'll find most long time pipers keep cobs and use them, as well as their collections of fine briars and meers.

CaptBlck; IQ is CaptianBlack, less preservatives, RLP-6 is another version of CaptianBlack , less preservatives. The preservatives are gunk added to make the CB last forever on a store shelf. If you like the scent and taste I suggest the IQ and RLP-6.

The difference is like your wife making you a cake, or buying a Twinkey off the shelf.

Most 'DrugStore' brands have the preservatives, CarterHall and PrinceAlbert dont, a primary reason you'll notice the latter encouraged here so often.

Take care

H
LOL, that is too funny.
Thanks, that is what I wanted to know.
Don't like the idea of preservatives in much of anything, so I will try the 1-Q.

What about the Navy flake, does that have preservatives?

But so far in my one day trial, (lol) I am liking the Stokkebies Navy Flake as much as the C. H.

Thanks.

Marc

Carter Hall in a cob is music to my ears and what a great combination, especially in a Hackert cob! Enjoy!

limpinghawk

justcobs said:
Carter Hall in a cob is music to my ears and what a great combination, especially in a Hackert cob! Enjoy!
Thanks, I am enjoying it.
In fact I've been smoking on and off for over 6 hours now. (3 bowls).

I have a Savinelli coming in this week that needs some major work and I'm actually looking forward to restoring the pipe. (its the pipe in my avatar).

But now after smoking this Hackert cob, I don't see how anything could be better than this?

I'm getting no bite what so ever, the tobacco smokes all the way down to the bottom of the bowl, the smoke is cool all the way through, what could be better?
perhaps blowing out some golden smoke rings?

I know I'm a newbee and all, but how much better can smoking a pipe be than what I am experiencing?
What else is there, am I missing something here besides the sheer looks of the pipe being smoked?

I am not seeing why spending a ton of money on a pipe is all that necessary,
when a $25.00 cob is doing it all. (except for aesthetics)

Maybe someday I may see something that I am just not getting here.

If I only had the cob to smoke out of I would be a happy camper indeed.

Marc

Burley tobaccos and cobs go together like peas and carrots. Carter Hall is my everyday working smoke and I have smoked this blend on and off for over 30 years. It's good stuff! Especially in a cob!

justcobs said:
Burley tobaccos, like Carter Hall (my favorite) were made for cobs. They go together like peas and carrots.
I'm liking it so far, and what makes it even better is the cost of C.H.
So far from what I am seeing it is one of the least expensive tobaccos I've found, and it is good to boot!

In all fairness I am finding the Stok. navy flake is good also, but the C.H. IMO is just as good, and a little bit cheaper.

But I will still be searching for different tobaccos to try before truly settling down to only one, but so far, it is going to be hard for something to beat C.H. at least for me.

Hitch said:
I'll save you some time, you wont believe this:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

First one's free kid...
Sounds as if that Embarcadero would be a good tobacco, but $12.00 for two oz.?
I think I'll stick with C.H.
I think I'm sold already after only one day of smoking..;)
may seem a little fast, but I do tend to make my mind up quickly when things just make sense to me.

I just went from a bowl of Stok.Navy flake (which was good) to a bowl of C.H.,
and to me the C.H. just blew the navy (flake) right out of the water.
But that is just my humble newbee opinion.

Heres a thought:
lets say they were to take C.H. and compress it into a flake, put that flake into a tin and covered it with some fancy paper,
gave it a panache sounding name something like ' Queen Victoria's Fancy Irish Flake', did a little marketing stating that it burns slowly and evenly,
no bite, burns down to a fine white ash, a superb fancy no fuss tobacco, etc. etc. etc., and then sold it at $12.00 for 50 grams,
I wonder how many people would have a different opinion? ... (just a thought)

But thanks for sending me the link about the Embarcadero I really do appreciate your help and I suppose that I should at least give it a try one day, but it just seems too expensive for me and not really what I am looking for in a tobacco.

Hitch said:
The link wanst for Emarcadaro , it was for TR, Im sure you'll find it useful.
TR?
You mean tobacco reviews?
So you mean that my rambling on was all in vain? ... lol

Yes I did find it useful, thanks.

However, I think my quest is quickly coming to an end, I am pretty sure I will only be smoking C.H.
I want to try out the 1-Q first before making my final decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.