1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I think I found a new love...Peterson Pipes!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by illiteratti, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illiteratti

illiteratti Member

Well, due to living arrangements and job situation, I had to put the pipes down for a couple of months, But I ordered a new pipe and started back up again. Being that I absolutely love my Pete silver mounted Army, I thought I would order another Pete. This time, it was a System pipe, something that I was curious about.

As soon as I got it, I went to the local B&M for some tobacco, and found some Balkan Sasieni, so that was the break in tobacco. not my favorite, but it's enjoyable enough to me.

I have smoked several bowls in this Premier system 314, and I love this pipe. There is something about the two Petes that I have that I dont get out of any other pipe...They are so comfortable in my mouth (that P-lip seems to really work for me) and the flavor is just a bit different, not sure why, but everything tastes just a bit better in my Petes. I'm wondering if it's the vulcanite that they use or what, but it just works for me. The big thing is that Balkan Sasieni has always been a very dry tobacco to me, but it has always gurgled in my pipes, even my beloved Army. Not so with the System. It is absolutely wonderful in the System!

The other thing that I am kind of confused about it that it doesn't seem I need to break-in these pipes. They smoke beautifully on the first bowl. My beloved Army (yes, it will always be my beloved!) has smoked beautifully from the day I got it, and I had spent months smoking that pipe exclusively every day up to 4 times a day. I don't let it rest, I just smoke it and smoke it. This System seems to be the same way...

I pretty much only bought Stanwells and Savinellis, but i just think these Petersons might be the pipe for me.

2. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I too am a huge Peterson fan! My current favorite is a xl02 I got in Gettysburg this summer. Oh what a sweet pipe!!!! Right out of the box it smokes awesome! Plus I have big mitts so it sits so nicely in my hand! I may have to order all the xl02's that they make!

3. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I like Petes, but I slightly prefer them with regular mouthpieces. The P-lip is okay, but I like a plain one better.

neoclassical and MakDragon like this.
  4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Love me some Petes, and I'm glad you love yours. I find that Pete's seem to be custom made for "English" blends that are high in the Oriental content, or for Virginia-based blends. Enjoy yours, my friend.

5. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Can't beat a Pete....

I have found that, even though I don't really care for straights, I really like the #53 for all day every day use.
    The rest of the rotation:
    b5
    80s

6. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Agreed

neoclassical likes this.
  7. illiteratti

illiteratti Member

You know, I really didn't think I'd like the P-lip, but I really wanted that Army, and it only came in a P-lip. I found that it really works for me. I guess I'm one of the few who like it. Now I don't see myself buying a Pete without a P-lip.

I have to say, there is a gorgeous 606 that is talking to me at the moment!

8. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I've had a silver army mount on order at my local B & M since early last spring. Since the middle of summer I've suspected the pipe actually arrived and the shop owner decided to keep it for himself or he sold it to another customer. I didn't pay a deposit so I'm not very worried. If he kept it or sold it to someone else he has likely ordered another one.

9. bmarchand

bmarchand Member

I had the pleasure of going to Ireland last month and, while there, stopped in at the Peterson store in Dublin. I was surprised that the store was not very big at all, but they had a wonderful selections of pipes to choose from. I treated myself to a Standard 312 system pipe and, I have to say, this is my new favorite. Great smoke, the tobacco tastes better, and it's dry as a bone (that "system" design really works). I'll be looking for more, that's for sure. And the next time I'm headed to Dublin I'm going to get my name on the list for a factory tour. :th1:

10. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

There used to be a huge pipe and tobacco store in Limerick the first time I was in Ireland in 1988 but on my last trip, I could not find it. Sadly I think it is gone!
    You are right about the Peterson store. Much smaller than I imagined!

11. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Pete's are great. Congrats and enjoy!

12. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

My new Pete and Ol Boy! Cme yesterday!
    [​IMG]

Spaceboy Tim and RTOdhner like this.
  13. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

I love my system 302 and am about to pull the trigger on another, smaller system. I'm also a p-lip fan, have 2 and would'nt consider a Pete without one!

14. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

I purchased a Pete Kinsale Rustic XL16-9 about a month ago, and the first thing I noticed was the smoothness in the draw. Always looking forward to picking it up again.:bing:

15. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

One of the fun things about Petersons is that there is such a wide range. They seem to go from around $70 to ohmygod. I have a soft spot for Deluxes, which is completely irrational because my best-smoking Pete is a System Standard (Rusticated Darwin).

16. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I have one new Pete (Ebony Killarny) and it is one of my fav pipes by far! I will get another Pete one day.

Tanman likes this.
  17. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

only have one Pete--Donegal Rocky B-5----it smoked like it was 'broke in' from the first bowl

i'm lookin' at an 03 that called my name last week

18. illiteratti

illiteratti Member

I really love those Old Boy lighters! I think they are the classiest lighters out there!

19. Tanman

Tanman Member

I'll have to agree; just got an ebony killarny myself about a week ago; can't beat it!:puffy:

20. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I'm glad to hear you fellows like your Petes so much. When the wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas this year, I pull up two Pete Arans, the XL02 and the 306. They are wrapped and ready for Christmas morning. She won't let me have a test drive, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.