I think I may be loosing it....

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by tungbite, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tungbite

tungbite Member

A very strange thing happened to me a few minutes ago. I went to my tobacco drawer to get a newly bought tin of Full Virginia Flake. I actually got a large order of tobacco from Pipes and Cigars.com about two weeks ago. and was saving this tin for later. I decided to open it and noticed the lid was loose. I took off the lid and half the flakes were gone!

I showed my wife and she said I probably opened it and had been smoking it. I said no way that could have happened. I truly believed the tin was still sealed.

I know I have had some "senior moments", but not remembering smoking half a tin of tobacco!

Could I have been shipped a tin that was opened and smoked by a P&C employee or am I really losing it! :old:

2. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

it's possible---but strange things have been know to happen to stuff in transit--

3. tungbite

tungbite Member

I never got a tin that had had lost its vacuum, let alone was half empty. I must have smoked it, but I can't remember doing it...very strange.

4. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

I find open tins at B&Ms more frequently than I would like to see. Never had one from an online order though.

Ted Vig likes this.
  5. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I'm sorry tungite. I really didn't think you'd miss it.

6. tungbite

tungbite Member

Well, at least you didn't take it all. :rolleyes:

RTOdhner and Spillproof like this.
  7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I think you might be loosing it too... You probably should send all your tobacco to me to be on the safe side. :beck:

RTOdhner and dwaugh like this.
  8. tungbite

tungbite Member

I counted the remaining flakes and there were only 10 left in the tin. This is still driving me nuts. I should remember smoking that many pipes, and yet I can't really believe it was shipped that way. :msty:

9. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Maybe the contents settled during shipping :)
    Could you have sent some as a sample to someone?

10. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

sorry to say it, but my skeptical mind believes 'you wuz ripped'--OR at best the packing machine hiccuped--
    i'm a codger also, and have CRS disease, but i don't think even i'd forget that many flakes in a couple weeks--

tungbite likes this.
  11. tungbite

tungbite Member

Well, my wife said she saw the tin with the green Sherlock Holmes on it, sitting on the small table next to the lounge chair where I do much of my pipe smoking. She still thinks I probably smoked it and then put it back in my tobacco drawer so I wouldn't smoke it all. Makes sense, but still don't remember doing it. Getting old is a bitch! :cfsd:

12. kb7get

kb7get Member

Ah, could it be an old tin you already had? Maybe a newer unopend tin is around there someplace?

Ted Vig likes this.
  13. tungbite

tungbite Member

No, I hadn't bought any FVF for a long time. This was a tin from a recent order and I was expecting a sealed tin when I took it out of the tobacco drawer.

To be honest, I did something similar recently. I was taking generic Ambien for my insomnia and i was cutting the pills in half. For about four nights in a row I looked for the half pill before going to bed, and it was GONE. No one could have taken the pill but me. Apparently I didn't fall asleep and I got up and took the second half to try to fall asleep. Every time I looked for that pill on the next night, it was gone! I began thinking it was a poltergeist playing tricks on me. Finally I realized I was taking that second pill half, but not remembering because I was half asleep.

People have done things on Ambien (driving, sex, eating etc.) with no recollection of having done it. Maybe I was Sleep-smoking!

Ted Vig likes this.
  14. kb7get

kb7get Member

I wished I lived next door to you. I would stop by every week to see if you had that $20. you borrowed from me last week. ;)

15. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

This happens to me a lot with beer. Every Saturday morning. I have no idea where it all goes.

dwaugh, neoclassical and psquared like this.
  16. tungbite

tungbite Member

:) It's a new day and I realize that worse things can happen, so I'm not going to worry about it. Either I was shipped a half empty tin or I smoked it. At least I live in a Cleveland Ohio suburb and not New Orleans!

17. Tsal

Tsal Pipin'

They might of sent you a sampler tin on accident and you didn't notice it.

18. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I lost it a long time ago. That's OK, cause I don't miss it anymore. It's like I never had it...

dwaugh and Spillproof like this.
  19. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I've quoted it before, but bears repeating as it is my life mantra:

"I used to be with it, but then it changed, and now what it IS.... is weeeeiiiiiirrrrrd and scaaaaaary."
    Grampa Simpson

20. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I think the only thing that you can be sure you lost is half a tin of tobacco :p:...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.