I think I've been spoiled

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

As I write this, I'm finishing a bowl of Prince Albert smoked from a nice cob.

The PA came from one of the big tubs. I've got about half the original amount left. Heres the bad part: I bought it so long ago it's actually dried out a little.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the stuff, and I think the quality it decent. But to be perfectly honest, I'm rarely in the mood for it anymore. Used to love it. Now I find myself very rarely reaching for it, unless I have some space in the top of a bowl of flake and I decide to use it as kindling.

I think all this exploration into the world of finer tobaccos has ruined me. I'm not a snob, and not a coinnesseur, but I have certain demands from my tobacco I didn't used to. This stuff doesn't disgust me....it just BORES me to death.

And I don't even need complex tobacco.

Honestly, If I want a really nice, solid no-nonsense "American" type blend, I no longer want PA. I want Stokkebye Cube Cut. It's closer in nature to Carter Hall than Prince Albert, being a blend of burley and a little Virginia. The VA doesnt make it really sweet, but nicely rounds out the flavor. The strength in terms of flavor and nicotine bests that of either PA or CH, while at the same time being smooth and mild. It's simple and uneventful but wholly pleasant right to the bottom of the bowl every time I smoke it. To make matters worse, it's CHEAPER to buy a whole pound of CC than to buy a 14oz tub of PA or CH.

Has anyone here tried it? I don't mean to sound like an advertiser, but it's great stuff for what it is.

I could afford to buy a pound of it. But while I've got about a half pound or so of PA left? I'd just never smoke the PA (not that it's a regular in my rotation these days anyway) and hey, it may not be expensive or fancy tobacco but I'm simply not made of money. I bought the stuff and I ought to smoke it.

What to do? Perhaps I should put it up for trade or just gift it or something. There's a decent bit of it there. I just can't bring myself to throw it away, but I don't really like it much anymore...and besides, I keep finding myself rolling it into cigarettes for when I'm short on time, and I sure as heck dont need to be doing that :confused:

2. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Buy some jelly jars and cellar the PA. PA doesn't do much for me anymore, either. CH still gets it, as does Walnut, but not so much PA. However, PA mixted with some Orientals and Latkia is just wonderful stuff.

3. tslots

tslots New Member

I'm of the same basic opinion ... PA is decent tobacco, but is somewhat boring on it's own. However, as a blending tobacco, it can add an extra dimension or tone down those blends that I find too strong in flavor or vitamin N.

4. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

I've been heading in kind of the opposite way lately.

I pretty much started out with the "better" stuff (RLP-6, MacB Vanilla Cream, Stokkebye's Sweet Vanilla, Solani Aged Burley Flake, etc) but lately have been craving the cheaper OTCs.

Been hitting the Carter Hall pretty good the last couple days.

5. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

No harm in cellaring the PA. Our fancies often chamge, thus you may hanker for it, once again in the future.

I didn't like it either, after CA for the past yrar, but I think it's fine for experimenting when blending your own.

6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I also started with "good" blends, and only hesitantly bought PA when I saw the reviews it got on TR. I figured, that many people who love it that much have got to be on to something, and for less than 5 bucks a pouch I could afford to find out what it was. So I went through a few pouches loving every minute of it. I figured, what the heck I'll get a tub. A year later and it's only about half gone.

Cube Cut is just as simple and no-nonsense a tobacco as either PA or CH, but without all the PG and crap in there, with better flavor, more nicotine, and frankly a better price tag.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I would bet ... down the road ..... you'll be jonesing for PA . And when you light it you'll think ... AHHH . When I had the shop I could smoke many blends at any given time , and did , and then after a while I'd light Cherry Blend and think ...... The fancy pants aint figured it yet ! It a cycle of many years and it fun as heck ... wait till ya smoke the twist [lol]

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Have you tried the stuff again yet? I'm anxious to know what it's like.....it's definitely going in a cob first though!

Anyway, have you had cube cut? I know you like PS....thing is, it's not at all fancy or frilly in anyway. Just comes from a good blender and has that damned weird cut. In terms of the blend and the flavor though...just like PA or CH, but way better in my book. If you haven't yet, try it!

9. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Cube cut is on my next pad order.

That being said, I prefer CH over PA. Maybe CH is just a nice change of pace. And cherry blend, thats some good stuff!

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I've always preferred PA to CH for it's somewhat fuller flavor and nicotine content. CC is more like CH I suppose due to it's inclusion of both burley AND Virginia leaf...but I think it's got a much better flavor, though quite similar in nature, to either of the OTCs.

I've only sampled Cherry Blend once...I have some more from the sample to smoke...I'll give it another try tomorrow morning I suppose, after all I did like it and appreciated that it wasn't overly fruity.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Count me in on that ! no such thing as a bad cube cut burley

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I think I'll send you a little sample if you haven't had it. Also, have you tried 2045? It's quite mild but a definite favorite of mine.

13. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I cut my teeth on confectionary tobacco blended by hand in the back room of a century-old tobacconist in downtown Boston. After I moved, I went through a lot of bulk tobacco and tins before I settled on SWR Aro and Sugar Barrel as my daily smokes. I smoke a lot of SWRA, and I don't regret it, but at the end of the day I look for something with a bit more "bite." I've still got some confectionary tobacco squirreled away that I take out for those moments, but I don't find them particularly better. I'm just as well off with a big tub of OTC at $30.00/14 oz.

I'm no connoisseur either. I just like to smoke and look out from my porch and go about my business, putter around the homestead. That is really what pipe smoking is about. Find something that fits your budget that you can live with, and coax what pleasures you can out of it. There is nothing wrong with being true to your tobacco.

WK

albot9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.