I tried a latakia mix again and here are my thoughts.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by craig, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craig

craig Active Member

Hey ladys and gents hope your all well.

A month into me starting to smoke a pipe, i picked up an ounce pack of gawith and hoggarths balkan mixture, the results were predictable.
    i packed and lit straight out of the pouch, it gurgled like mad, i puffed too hard, my tongue got bit too hell, the flavours were overwhelming, and i will admit i vomited slightly (this is the first and only time i have done this with a tobacco).
    That ounce pack soon went by the way of the bin, and i swore off latakias promising myself i would never touch the dreaded stuff again, and avoid all mixes with even the slightest touch of latakia.

But over time (and with the help of you great ladys and gents on here) i did as i swore, get good at pipe smoking, i built up, i think, a good rotation of pipes, tried different blends and found what i liked, and it got me thinking.

a good segment of the pipe tobaccos over here and in fact the world, are either latakia orientated or at some measure small or large contain lats.
    And to be honest i felt like i was missing out by flatly refusing to try anything with latakia in, so i started treating my tobaccos with a bit more respect, storing them propperly, drying them if they were too moist etc.

So for christmas, i bought some tobaccos and the shop were i get my pipe tobacco from, still had the balkan mixture that made me so ill all them months ago so i thought screw it and picked up a pouch.
    Without even opening it, i could smell that pungent, firery, foul 19th century style odour that is strangely appealing.
    But i wimped out trying it straight away....until now.

Opening the pack the aromas are still there but seem a little more restrained, the cut feels broarder to me and the moisture is a more acceptable level.
    So i packed my clay, lit and sat back and relaxed, and you know i was pretty well surprised.
    I actually really enjoyed my first bowl of latakia tobacco since all them months ago.
    The tastes on the first few puffs were a bit ooo err for me, but over the course of the bowl i got used to the flavours and they were actually really enjoyable, and it was a nice relaxing smoke, even on the snork, the tastes were actually delicious.

So there we have it, im a born again latakia lover, i dont think i would go for a latakia bomb the lat content in the gawith and hoggwarts balkan mix i think is my limit for the time being, it wont ever be my top tobacco of all time, but i will have a pouch handy now and then when i want something completely different.

So now i have another camp to visit tobacco wise and that makes me one happy smoker :D

Raffxr7, N3M0 and Trauma like this.

2. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

Congrats!

craig likes this.
  3. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Welcome to the club Craig! English/Balkan blends are pretty much all I smoke now.

craig likes this.
  4. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I fell in love with latakia the first time I smelled it. It was a mild English house blend, overpriced but still good. Started buying lat-bomb blends shortly after that and never looked back.

p120d16y and craig like this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Well , it's been sitting around long enough so that you could light and keep it lit probably helped , as you said . A blend like Dunhill Standard is as good as they get and should smoke right out of the tin . It's not a Lat bomb either . SG Skiff is the greatest "English " style tobacco and needs just a little dry time . It''s not Lat bomb as well .... it's a perfect balance/blend to my taste . It really blew me away

6. craig

craig Active Member

I dont think i would ever smoke just them exclusively and i may go for more lat rich blends as time goes on but at thw mo am happy as i am.
    Oh and johnny if you like lat bombs gawith or gawith and hoggarth do a something called mixture number 12 i think it has 45% latakia content

Trauma and Johnny Dingo like this.
  7. PipeWife

PipeWife Member

I view latakia and perique the same way I view spices in cooking: you want enough in the blend to bring out/enhance/add to the flavor, not overpower and rip your tongue out.

ruffinogold, p120d16y, craig and 3 others like this.
  8. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

G&H Balkan Mixture was probably too potent for you to start with. I've noticed a greater strength to their blends. There's nothing "muted" about their tobaccos. I'll admit there a bit too strong for me. But, I can tell they're made from high grade tobaccos.

Some mild to medium mixes would be any of the Frog Mortons, and Sam Gawaith Skiff, Margate.

9. craig

craig Active Member

think a tin of skiff might have to come my way.

ruffinogold and Ol Brokedik like this.
  10. Ol Brokedik

Skiff has a wonderful incense aroma. Unfortunately, most of this is lost due to room ventalation to clear out most of the smoke. To test this I'd smoke a bowl in my garage, leave my garage just long enough to clear my nose (maybe 10 minutes), then go back and smell. Wonderful! It's too bad I can't smell it while I smoke. It is good for me to know that it's there. I think you'll like Skiff. And, it's always available.

ruffinogold likes this.
  11. craig

craig Active Member

i was also thinking of gawiths perfection mixture asthe read up about it has a little latakia in it, just enough to taste it and be enjoyable. is sqaudron leader the stronger one?

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  12. Ol Brokedik

Haven't had any Perfection. I'll tell you I have 10 pounds of Squadron Leader. That's how much I like it.

Have you been on Tobacco Reviews? This is an excellent site for information.

StubrnDutchman and Trauma like this.
  13. craig

craig Active Member

on it my friend.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  14. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Craig, I've got a few lat
    blends you could try
    if you'd care to swap
    for some Revor. PM
    me if interested.

15. craig

craig Active Member

thanks for the offer mate, but i cant find revor anywhere mate, if you want keep the offer on hold till march dp, im off to scarborough which means a visit to the black swan shoppe, thebackyshop.co.uk, if theres anything that catches your fancy on there mate can bring it back for you and send it off?

16. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I agree with Ruff here, and I am also a big fan of Skiff. Another one that I believe is absolutely mandatory is Dunhill London Mixture. It is one of the smoothest, most expertly blended English tobaccos I have had. I love it to this day.

If you decide to try your hand at some heavier Latakia blends (and I really, really think you should), I highly recommend the Captain Earle blends, specifically Nightwatch and Ten Russians. They are absolutely fantastic. They completely changed my understanding of what Latakia actually is, because a lot of the time, you may well be confusing some of the flavor characteristics you're picking up as being from Latakia, when in fact they're coming from an Oriental of some sort. Nightwatch and Ten Russians put the Latakia on display more prominently, and I assure you, it's nothing to be afraid of. Latakia is actually very forgiving leaf. It burns cool even if you push it really hard, and it is very rich.

Glad you gave it a second try, and I hope you'll continue. As you know, there will be no shortage of recommendations around here. :puffy:

17. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

M M, thanks for the insight on the Orientals. This newbie appreciates learning stuff like this.

18. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Hmmm.... maybe a bit of this:
    http://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/products/peter-stokkebye-bulwark-flake-loose-pipe-tobacco#

:ohyh:

19. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

One really great way to experience the differences that Orientals make is to smoke some Commonwealth (Sam Gawith), which is 50% Lat and 50% VA, and then smoke some Squadron Leader, which includes Orientals. It is amazing what a difference the Orientals make.

JRobert likes this.
  20. StubrnDutchman

StubrnDutchman Member

I have some SL which I like a lot. I just smoke Altadis Fox and Hound because it is so much cheaper. Will have to order some Commonwealth and try your suggestion.

Thank you.

Mount Mandolin and ruffinogold like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.