I want to learn more.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Greatwall, Nov 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

I am still new to pipe new to pipe smoking and I find all aspects of it fascinating. I have been looking for information online such as the kinds of tobaccos and the different pipes styles, shapes, materials. Does anyone know of a good resource for learning more about pipes? Books, websites or good magazines would be helpful.

2. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Member

This forum is a good start.;)

Capt likes this.
  3. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

Oh, hello Captain Obvious, I did not see you there.

Spillproof, Mington and Calvinandpipe like this.
  4. Capt

Capt Active Member

Best resource is personal experience. Get invloved with trades, buy what ya can-when ya can. Research Tobacco Reviews to find new blends that may excite you. If you see something you would like to try, I will bet there is a 99.99999% chance one of us here has it, and will be willing to send you out a sample.

As far as pipes go, I really do not do much research about how they are made, but many here can help you with that.

Kiowapipe and Mington like this.
  5. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

There are soo many tobaccos I want to try like frog morton, 1Q, Hobbits weed, and many others. I really wish I had a local Tobacconist so I can bask in the smokey wisdom.

6. Goat

Goat Active Member

Ya never know. Maybe your Secret Santa will send you a nice sampler package. ;)

Mington likes this.
  7. Greatwall

Greatwall Member

That would be great.

8. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Pipe Smoking Forums (such as this one and others)
    Pipedia
    Tobaccoreviews.com
    The Professor's Pipe Page

9. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

+1 on tobaccoreviews.com, that site helped along with Pipedia. I also read Pipes and Tobacco Magazine. All of those were my main resources for information, including the forums.
    I picked up some good info on youtube also

10. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

This forum alone is an absolute gold mine of pipe information if you start reading through all the old threads

Raffxr7, N3M0 and Albert like this.
  11. Goat

Goat Active Member

My advice.....

Order yourself a cob and 4 tins of stuff you want to try. For about $50.00 you'd be off to a great start. If you don't like the tobacco you ordered you could always trade it off here.

N3M0 likes this.
  12. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

And look for the FOG/FNG thread to start back up sometime after the holidays.

N3M0 and Mington like this.
  13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Colonel Dribbleshoot!!!!

Ah... sorry... wrong thread.

As Ruff says, Rick Hacker's book is excellent. Also David Wright's book "The Pipe Companion" and Carl Ehwa's "The Book of Pipes and Tobacco", if you can find a copy. Milton Sherman's book "All About Tobacco" is a nice tobacco reference. Check with amazon.com for these titles.

Lots of good info in this thread!

dbt13 and dwaugh like this.
  15. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I just ask Kerr.

dmkerr likes this.
  16. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

MacBaren's home page is a good resource for learning about different types of tobacco. As far as actual blends are concerned you will have to be on your own. Asking for suggestions on tobacco blends is like asking which flavor of ice cream is best.

JRobert likes this.
  17. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

Smokingpipes.com sells lots of blends in bulk -- you can order one ounce samples of several different blends to try. Don't be in a hurry -- this is supposed to be a relaxing lifetime hobby. You don't have to try everything tomorrow. Your tastes will probably change anyway, and then they will change again...

18. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I guess my answer is to simply put some time in the saddle. I understand that may sound a bit short, but truthfully, there is no crash course. You have to try tobacco to see what suits you, same with pipes.
    We have members here that have been smoking since the fifties, we have pipemakers and we have tobacco blenders. There is a bunch of information in some of these old posts, you'd learn a lot by diving into them.

Most importantly, I would just follow the threads - for example, Wrightwood John posted a couple days ago about some Dunhill 965 on ebay. If you go to tobaccoreviews, you'll learn not only what's in it, but what other people thought of it and compared it to. You'll also be able to see what other blends Dunhill makes (or made), and from there you can google a bit of Dunhill history.

Spillproof started a thread about an S.Bang pipe, you can hit pipedia to find out about the brand, who makes it, where they make it, and what other Danish pipemakers they were influenced by.

It just goes on and on, the deeper you dig, the more you discover.

Mount Mandolin, Goat, Albert and 2 others like this.
  19. Goat

Goat Active Member

What he said..

20. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

And I give you my standard answer... :msty:

dwaugh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.