I want to like it! I really do!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by OrganizdMadman, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

I want to like Tewksbury & Co's Hobbits Weed, I really do! I've heard such great reviews, and I feel like I'm doing something wrong.
    But every time I try to smoke it, it tasts like I'm puffing on a cherry scented urinal cake! So cloying and chemical tasting, even drawing on the unlit bowl causes it to cling in my throat for a long time. I'll admit it's my first foray into cherry country, maybe I'm just not a cherry guy.
    At first I thought it was way too fresh, and let the second bowl dry for about an hour. Nothing seems to help.

P.S. If any one wants to try it I'll be glad to trade a bit.

2. bluetip84

bluetip84 Member

Sorry you don't like it.

I would love to try it. It is on my short list to try but I did not want to place an order just for that and pay shipping and all that. All I have on hand to trade would be Mac barren 7 seas gold or a blend from my local shop called sweet tooth that is not that good (he said he was going for a snickers like taste).

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Sounds like maybe it's not your thing. I'm not sure if I've heard of this one; if I have it must not have made much of an impression. I certainly haven't smoked it...but my very limited experience with fruity blend's hasn't been very positive. Middleton's Cherry Blend is an exception, and I like W.O. Larsen Signature which is sorta caramel and fruit.

If you don't like it, you can jar it up and just wait a few months till the spirit moves you to try it again (our tastes change...mine do, at least!) or head on over to the trading post if you flat out don't like it. Some guys just don't like some blends or styles, for one reason or another. Different smokes for different folks:msty:

4. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

Hey bluetip, Pm me your address and I'll send some your way. :)
    trust me, you'll probably be able to smell it before you even open your mailbox!
    I've always wanted to try 7 seas gold to compare it with Lane's RLP-6.

Yup I'm gonna keep about an ounce or so for later, just in case.

5. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

I just stopped in to Tewkesbury's shop in Denver. I didn't have my pipe in my pocket, but they sent me with a bit to try. I am going to fire it up in just a little while.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  6. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I'm going to pull a "Ming":

tap...tap....tap:popc:

Old Codger, Preacher1611 and Mington like this.
  7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Reviews are deceiving, everyone's palate is different, so why try to like something that you apparently don't like, move on to something new! ;)

Hawkwood likes this.
  8. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I want to like cherry blends too. Unfortunately, Middleton's is the only one I've tried that I have fould to be decent. I have a tin of Celtic Talisman and a tin of Svendorg Kirsberry (both of them are cherry blends) that I haven't yet opened but I have high expectations of them.

9. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

And I tried it. Didn't like it. Oh well. Gotta dig a free sample right?

Preacher1611 likes this.
  10. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I have got to give it a try .. just to see.. I am a glutton for punishment sometimes

11. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

Having been psychologically scarred by Paladin i've been reluctant to try anything even remotely connected to cherry. I may give the Middleton's a go based on reputation however.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I like cherry and I hate all the cherry-flavored tobaccos I've ever tried. Cherry just doesn't translate well to pipe smoke for me.

Preacher1611 likes this.
  13. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I aggree, cherry and baccy are just... wrong somehow. Especially Paladin, I don't know if that stuff is baccy or some sort of cruel joke!

14. Chriss

Chriss Member

ewwww... if i wanted a snickers I wouldn't be smoking a pipe... id be having a snickers... lol

15. Aes28

Aes28 Member

I agree 100%! Middleton's Cherry Blend, the only cherry I've tried, was awful!

16. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

A lot of smokers think this is a cherry flavored blend, it's a cherry aromatic to the people around you but a straight up burley forward smoke to the pipe smoker with a wisp of cherry in the background. :th1:

17. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Replied to my own post by error, please remove.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.