1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Idea for a 7 day set

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by erickghint, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erickghint

erickghint Member

I've been thinking about this over the last few days, and I've seen other people's posts about 7 day sets that they would like to put together (see Falconeer's Sasquatch set in progress), or already have. So I got to thinking, if I could put together a 7 day, what would it be? While it wouldn't be a "traditional 7 day set", I would love to have a North American carvers set. 7 of my favorite NA pipesmiths, including (obviously) Sas and SB, Mark Tinsky (covered), Randy Wiley (covered), Andrew Petersen.... and that's where I get stuck. I keep thinking maybe Rad Davis (although I've never seen anything of his go for under $300), but that still leaves one. Any ideas? Favorite North American carver? My own personal requirements: must be willing to take custom work, and gotta be affordable (we'll say less than $250).

OR... if you'd like... If you could put together a 7 day, what would it be? All Petes, all Danish, all [insert whatever you want here]?

2. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz Member

3. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

What about PSF's own Bob Davison aka 51flgoose?

4. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Tim West pipes are pretty reasonable

Tim Hynick (out of Mass)

Kevin Arthur (sold on P&C)

John Rinaldi

these are just off the top of my head, here is th link to pipedia.org's American carvers list:

USA Carvers

5. briarbrian

briarbrian Member

Holy crap, there are so many NA carvers now that we have to be put into alphabetical charts, wow!

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

ALL of the above mentioned would fill the bill but I'm surprised you didn't include a nice Jake Hackert cob! I mean, what's a 7-day set without a cob??? It's "Without" I say! But, that's me.......

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

7. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I'd like to compile a 7 day set of just high quality hand-mades, don't care where they're from.

8. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Gotta have at least 1....but 8-10 is better! :velho:

9. caskwith

caskwith Member

Picking one carver is a nice idea but somewhat limits your choice and can cost a fair bit. How about choosing your fav shape and making a set of those shape, then you can include many different carvers of different styles and prices.

10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Nice thing about "assigning your rack(s)" is you can change them as time moves on.

I've thought about it too and the options are only as varied as your wallet is thick or as deep as your pipage allows. Even if it's only a short rack (6 or less), they're still yours and yours to do with however you wish.

Options I've considered:

PSF Pipesmith rack

Style of pipe rack

Pipesmith rack

Hell, I'm just gonna get a nice big cabined so I can have "rows" rather than a bunch o'puny racks! :velho:

:)
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

11. erickghint

erickghint Member

This is a great idea. Different carvers with their own take on a certain shape. That could turn out amazing.

12. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Right now I've got my main English rack, a main VA rack and a drawer full of everything else that still gets smoked pretty regularly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.