1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Ideal Flake Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jomodeere, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cogitans Fumus

Cogitans Fumus Member

Im really enjoying McClelland's Virginia/Perique bulk flake through my Missouri Pride cob... rubbed out and loaded with the Frank method...burns slow and cool for a nice 40 minute smoke... In fact the more I smoke the more I like my corncob's.

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

This shows how the original question comes with a catch.

All my pipes have smoked flakes at one time or another and it all smoked good, same as d'err. Sometimes I prefer flake in a big bowl but I lean to 30-45 minute smokes in smaller pipes regardless of what I smoke. Since I mostly smoke flake tobacco and since I mostly prefer smoking smaller pipes it stands to reason (merely by the odds) that I favor flake in a smaller pipe.

Yesterday appeared a Brakner 1002 in my mailbox, photo and dimensions here. The pipe is my profile for a flake smoking. Length at 5 1/2" is fine with me and if the same bowl was on a 6 1/2" pipe that'd be OK too. The thinner walls that characterize my choice in flake pipes is OK. Thin-walled pipes compel me to manage my baser instincts and smoke slower (thus cooler), getting the best from the tobacco. That, or blister my fingers. I guarantee a thin-walled smooth-finished pipe will help you improve your technique fast or you'll burn it up along with your fingerprints.

[​IMG]

albot9 likes this.
  3. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

A lot of smokers prefer smaller pipes for flakes. I guess this is so a single flake will fill it. Most flakes are single tobacco or two tobacco blends, so a larger bowl is not needed to allow a more complex blend to develop. I smoke flakes in grp 4-6 size pipes and enjoy them.

4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Last night my wife made an interesting observation about me and pipe smoking: I hold my pipe differently when I'm smoking flake. She noticed that every time that I smoke flake, I hold the pipe with my palm over the top of the bowl - regardless of the pipe that I'm smoking at the time (generally a cob, but also a Pete Sherlock Holmes Original or a no-name Italian made Canadian-style pipe). She also observed that the only other time I do this is when I smoke either of my Author-style pipes, my Peterson Aran XL02 or a smaller rusticated no-name Italian-made pipe, and this is regardless of what I smoke in them. (Word to the wise - do not underestimate the things that your significant other will notice about you).

This morning I had an urge to smoke some flake as my second morning bowl. I loaded up the Pete Aran with some Erinmore and fired it up. It is a great pairing, and it felt very natural. I had dedicated the Canadian or Pete Sherlock Holmes Original to flake, but they just got transferred. I'm gonna have to experiment with the Italian Author later today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.