Idenify tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jeebs, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Maybe you can tell what tobacco this is. I bought a tin about 8 yea anf smokef it. I was not crazy about it then,but for the last couple of months, I keep smellin it and tasting it in my mind. The only way to describe the tobacco is. It smelled and tasted just like a boquet of flowers, more like powdered rose. I hope sn ide.ify, because I would like to smoke agian

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Possibly a Gawith & Hoggarth Lakeland blend... Kendal Flake, perhaps? Was it in flake form? Maybe Condor or St Bruno ready rubbed?

Jeebs likes this.
  3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

It was tinned, so that narrows it down. If you bought it retail within the United States, it was almost certainly Gawith and Hoggarth - Condor and St. Bruno aren't distributed here, and Samuel Gawith uses plenty of herbal flavors but I've never come across a flowery one that ghosts pipes the way GH tobaccos do.

Ennerdale is one of their best sellers among tinned blends, so that may be a good candidate. Best Brown #2 has a very mild flavoring similar to their stronger stuff, but if you aren't used to it the taste is very unique and peculiar. If you still use the pipe you smoked it in, the Best Brown is easier to rid from the pipe than others - does the pipe still taste like the stuff? If so, then it's probably not BB#2. Kendal Flake is good, but not sold tinned that I know of. Bob's Chocolate Flake could be another possibility, as could Rum Flake perhaps. I've never tried the last two, but Bob's Chocolate, Rum Flake, Ennerdale, and BB#2 are the few tinned GH blends reputed to have a noteworthy amount of floral qualities to it. If the pipe isn't still ghosted with the stuff, I'd say it's most likely BB#2, but if it is still ghosted I'd say it's most likely Ennerdale or Bob's Chocolate Flake.

Did the tin look anything like this?
    [​IMG]

If so, it's probably one of the GH blends mentioned

Jussto likes this.
  4. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

I have and have had most all of G &H. While passing thru Chicago I would always stop at O'Hare toll plaza on the Tri-state and buy PS cig tobacco at a tobacco shop IR had in the toll plaza. One day I decided to buy a pipe and 2 tins of tobacco. I did not care for it at that time, but the las few monthsI keep remembering it, so that's why I am trying to idenify.y 8- 10 years later... I want some more of it.

5. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Funny how a taste or a smell can creep back up on you years later, isn't it? I've had that happen to me before too.

Jeebs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.