1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

identification help?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Wideawake75, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Lovely painting Steven! Do you mind if I use it in my monitor wallpaper?
    That musket looks to be an 1842 French Zouave with the sword bayonet on his hip. Those old .58 cal. muskets did hellacious damage back then.

2. desertmoon

desertmoon Member

That pipe is AWESOME!

3. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

I would have to smoke it...oh yeah I would

4. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

T-bear, yes sir- those .58's were brutal. I'm not sure of the specific make of weapon, but it does appear very similar to that. I know they were issued and carried the shorter rifles through part of the war, and I'm not sure if the two-banded Enfield has the same type of sword bayonet or not.

5. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I have the paper work from where my Great-great-great grandfather was a confederate soldier and he was captured here in Kentucky and taken to Indianapolis to a POW camp and kept til the end of the war. I also have the paperwork from where he was made to take an oath to the United States after the war, claiming he would never take arms up against the US again.

6. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

The Enfield had a three-sided bayonet. After some checking, it *might* actually be the Springfield 1863 Model. There were both Infantry (2 band) and Cavalry (1 band) models made. The Cavalry model was designed as a carbine... I once owned a replica Cavalry Zouav carbine....that rascal would SHOOT!

Your Great-great-great grandfather took the oath, David...you didn't! Bout time for another uprisin'!:byg:

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Hey man , thats the coolest story of a family pipe ! Take yer time w/ her ... but by all means .. fire her up !! :thu2:

8. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

The Mississippi was two banded with a sword bayonet, I know there had to be a few other types. Springfield and Enfield manufactured 3 banded rifle muskets, 2 banded rifles, and 1 banded carbines. The primary difference that I noticed was the wieght and the way they carried. I was always a Springfield fan myself. I've heard that the Zouave rifles were very accurate, that must've been alot of fun to shoot. Davidmackv, that is a great family story to pass down. So little has been shared about the Northern POW camps, those papers are worth more than their weight in gold sir..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.