Im new trying out tobacco's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a corn cob pipe as suggested to try out some tobacco.
My question is how long do these last? A few bowls?
There is filter in there how long does that last?
Will smoking a corn cob taste different than my pipe coming in the mail? (savenelli) And ruin my first time?
thanks

Maximus

cichy1012 said:
Bought a corn cob pipe as suggested to try out some tobacco.
My question is how long do these last? A few bowls?
There is filter in there how long does that last?
Will smoking a corn cob taste different than my pipe coming in the mail? (savenelli) And ruin my first time?
thanks
First, take the filter and toss it in the trash. Second, a cob will last for years if treated correctly. You really don't want cake to build, so dry ream the bowl with a paper towel or some such utensil between smokes. Third, smoke it all you so desire but I would try to let it dry out a bit between bowls so as not ot give it a soggy bottom and sour taste. Cobs will IMO impart their own unique taste when smoked as opposed to the flavor from a briar. It's not a bad thing in any case. Cobs are a good place to start down the road of pipe smoking, and most of us were once right where you are now in that regard. :puff:

Maximus

Hitch said:
Good advise Max
I don't smoke cobs anymore, so I go by what I read or hear for the most part. That article may help to bring a pleasant experience to cichy or anyone else for that matter. Heck, starting out it was a good bit of trial and a whole lot of error for myself, but these days there's a ton of information to help one get started out on the right track. :puff:

Falconeer

Hi,

Definitely no cake in a corncob! You want it to behave like a meer and absorb oils goo and gunge - cobs can absorb amazing amounts of moisture but not of they have a cake which seals the pores and can in any event theoretically cause the pipe to crack.

I still think corncobs are a great smoke in their own right - have just had two MM Diplomats shipped to me and am enjoying breaking them in. The only downside is that taste of burning pine for the first few smokes! Well looked after a cob can have a very long life - I know one man who's had some for up to 20 years.

Good luck and happy smoking!

Gerry

Zanaspus

SilverFox said:
great info I have 5 cobs coming in.

Do I need to segregate tobacco in Cobs. I heard that they do not ghost.
I've smoked OGS after 1792 flake with no leftover tonquin flavoring. Really no need to segregate IMHO.

Falconeer

Hi,

Honestly think you'll enjoy a Diplomat. This last year I've almost exclusively smoked corncobbs and meerschaums while my old favourites, my Falcons, have gathered dust in their racks.

In the UK such tobacconists as sell corncobs, only sell Legends which are fine, so I ordered my Diplomats direct from MM - got an acknowledgement back by email right away, got an email when they were dispatched and got them 3 days after I placed the order - and that was delivery to Scotland from Washington; couldn't ask for better service.

Rich at 4Noggins sells cobs cheaper than MM by the way, but I wanted this time to deal direct with MM to see how they did - and I just can't complain.

It's only a personal opinion, and not everyone would agree, but I really do think the cob's appelation of a "Missouri Meerschaum" is justified - I use a corncob instead of a meer when the pipe might be at risk such as when I visit my local on a Friday night and might drop it on the way home after an evening with the "Evil Companions!"

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.