I'm wondering what Aros bite Y'all . I have had good luck w/ them

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ruffinogold, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I was just reading a thread about how Aros bite and are yucky and hot etc .. :dh2:. Heres what I'm wondering , being I've had great luck with Aros , is what Aro blends bite you guys ? The ones that bit me were Borkum Riff and Middletons Apple . Middletons Cherry bit me when I was 14 years old but so did Coke a Cola . I find Aros , in general , to be super cool smoking smokes . Maybe the ones I like are just the better Aro blends ... I dont get it and am just trying to see if many of you Aro yucksters are smoking the same few blends or is it something else . I would love to help correct any problem people have w/ Aros , being I enjoy them about half the time . I'm sure in some cases , a correction isnt an answer cause somebody just wont like Aros , Kinda like I dont like Lakelands [ which are Aros btw ... just soap flavored ones ] . So , which ones are killn you ?

2. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Captain Black burns the fu-oops I mean bejeezus out of my tongue.

Middleton's apple and cherry if I am not careful...all Middleton's products if I am not careful actually.

Never had the Borkum Riff.

CAO Cherry Bomb if I really push it.

Mostly I have had good luck, especially with toasted Cavendish aromatics that weren't full of PG.

ruffinogold likes this.
  3. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

Any Captain Black besides the white.

Any Borkum Riff

Any Smokers Pride at all

Some of Mac Baren's more aromatic smokes.

ruffinogold likes this.
  4. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

It goes without saying Paladin was the worst. Borkum Riff has since the 1980 versions. All the MacBaren's aros have a slight bite. Amphora and Flying Dutchman bit although they tasted so wonderful I smoked them regardless. Pease's Barbary Coast, Sillem's Black and Reiner's Copper Label bite if more than one pipeful per day is smoked. I really can't give a qualified opinion about Captain Black's ability to bite because I couldn't get past the cloying, sickeningly sweet artificial flavor long enough to get bitten.

ruffinogold likes this.
  5. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

Haven't had much of a problem with tongue bite with any blend, aro or English, cheap or spendy, since I got my basic technique down :) :bing:

Old Codger and ruffinogold like this.
  6. phinz

phinz Active Member

If I don't take it easy, Autumn Evening will bite the crap out of me. It's better if I let it dry a while, but I'm usually too impatient for that.

ruffinogold and OldSouled65 like this.
  7. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

I was under the impression that not all bite is a result of hot smoke, that some bite could be from a chemical reaction between some chemicals used in some casings and the tongue. I feel as though I have my technique pretty well down. And I occasionally get bit. The last couple of days I've been smoking PS Cinnamon and had no issues, really enjoyed the smoke. Today I smoked Uhles Par Shooter which is also cinnamon flavored and got bit. I don't think that I smoked any differently than I have been. I'm not sure what caused it, but I don't think it had anything to do with my technique. What was different, now that I think about it, was I had several re-lights with the Par Shooter. Maybe that was the culprit. Anyone have any ideas?

ruffinogold and Capt like this.
  8. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

Had an Edward's cherry blend burn the devil out of me. Wasn't my technique, as I smoked a nice bowl of CBW after and didn't have a lick of trouble... I've tried that Edward's blend in three pipes and got burned in each of them. :confused: Don't really have much trouble with other aromatics I smoke...

I think you have it D-Pap, sometimes individual chemistry comes into the mix, though I have no evidence other than hearsay and personal experience.

ruffinogold likes this.
  9. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I have been bitten only by Captain Black Cherry... whoa nasty!
    The Sutliff blends were very tasty and I had no troubles with.

EmperorGix and ruffinogold like this.
  10. Capt

Capt Active Member

C&D Autumn Evening and BLue Note. But I love Blue Note!

Morse and ruffinogold like this.
  11. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

Autumn Evening bit me but that's about it for aro 's.

ruffinogold likes this.
  12. Capt

Capt Active Member

If you like the flavor of AE, try McClellands Town Topic.

ShilohHollow likes this.
  13. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

Thanks. I did like the flavor so I'll have to hunt that one down.

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Holiday Express bit me hard, but aros don't usually bite me. I find aromatics to be pretty soft on the palate.

Morse and ruffinogold like this.
  15. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

The cheap :poop: they put in plastic ziplock bag and sell as $value tobacco.

Capt and ruffinogold like this.
  16. JBWright

JBWright Member

Classic cases of YMMV here. Autumn Evening is one aro, along side 1-Q, that I can actually smoke that does not bite me.

EmperorGix and ruffinogold like this.
  17. ruffinogold

I had read once that some people are sensitive to PG . I think I read it in a study that was looking at Ecigs . Ecigs use PG as the " Juice " that makes the vapor . It was a small % of people that have issues w/ it but none the less , it exists . Ecigs can use a VG .. vegtable . I realize that some tobacco bites , no doubt . So looking at what y'all have written so far , it would be safe to assume that Autum Evening might be one to sample first before buying a bunch of it . CB seems to be about a 50/50 chance [ The Cherry is probably a higher chance ] .
    Surely you dont mean the Smokers Pride Black Cavendish ?! I cant get it to bite and I've tried . I'm suprised but there you have it .. it bites ya ! Crazy

I havent had a bite w/ Sutliff blends other than Spinaker , which was a Satan sandwhich :eek:

As far as the Cloying or wet type Aro blends , I think I can help w/ those . First off , know that most all blends have some humicant to one point or another . Few blends use distilled water and , oddly enough , I havent had one I like . Dry nasty stuff to me . Anyway , I smoke an Aro blend that is the wettest blend I've ever smoked . It bubbles at times and is a trip .. but I've been able to smoke it w/ out it getting hot or even very warm . The thing is , Ya cant expect a wet Aro to light up and smoke , like say a rubbed Va . Those type aros take more time and need to be lit slower . We see many here talk about taking it easy while smoking the pipe . It's most true w/ wet Aromatics . I'm not saying that if you get bit w/ an Aro that youre a spazz . I'm saying that an Aro needs to be a relaxing mello thing if it's a wet one . Personaly , I'm a slight spazz smoker . I mean I can suck down a bowl of an OTC in no time flat ... If I pack it alittle loose ... forget about it ! The drier type Aro Otc is what I'm talkin about here .. [ CH/MCB/SWR etc ] those drier blends get warmer when packed loose , which is what I think is the culprit more often than not . The wet Aros shouldnt be packed tightly , or maybe even normaly , depending on how you pack/fill a pipe . The " wet ones " can be packed a bit looser cause they need some room w/ all that mostiure . I aint saying loose as a goose , just looser , maybe . I know I'll sound like a reverse snob if I were to say that .. in order to enjoy many Aromatics , you have to be a seasoned pipe smoker . I mean no disrespect if your a seasoned dude and ya get bit by an Aro ... lets face it ... some are gonna bite anybody and , as has been mentioned , chemistry as well . Seasoned is someone thats smoked all types of blends and has them nailed down . You dont have to be seasoned to smoke Aros or any other type tobacco . I'm a seasoned Burley smoker if ever there was . Thats my main smoke . But I enjoy , some through time , all types of blends and I can honestly say that I'm seasoned in Burleys , Va , Flakes , English styles , Aros , Ribbon Cuts and most all cuts except the ones that look like turds and blocks . Basicly I've smoked every damn thing there is , as far as types and styles and over a 30+ year period have nailed them . The good thing is that I enjoy alot of stuff which is why I always say .. tobacco = some suck , most are good and some are great . It's the truth .. most blends of any type are , at the least , good .The people that make blends arent gonna waste time and money making blends that are bad , though they make some that are .
    My point to all this crap I'm writing is that , imo , the pack job is probably more the issue than the spazz aspect , as far as the lame Aro experience . People go on about how you have to let a blend dry out , which takes time and thought , or how a blend needs to be rubbed or cannonballed etc ... all of which are efforts taken in order to enjoy a smoke . However , there is never any talk about an Aromatic and the efforts needed to smoke them because it seems we expect an Aro to be packed in there and lit up w/out thought . Like any other style , they have their " thing ' that you have to nail down . BTW , as an Aro lover , Altadis is the master of Aros ..... I know Altadis gets a bum wrap and out of the over 100 blends they make .. some suck . But as far as Aro flavors go ...... nobody else is even close . Sorry for the long rant ... it just poured out my head and I'm sure if I re read it ... I would write it to make more sense

IrishRover and EmperorGix like this.
  18. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I'm pretty sure based on experiences of others that tongue bite can't be avoided by technique alone. I just haven't had a blend in the last 6-7 months since I "settled in" that pained my palate.

ruffinogold likes this.
  19. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Borkum Riff (any)
    Paladin in the new package does, the old kind didn't and I was actually fond of it. They changed something about it along with the packaging, maybe an additive to keep it fresher.
    Middleton's Cherry used to until I learned how to smoke it. Now I like it alot.

ruffinogold likes this.
  20. ruffinogold

Yeah , Borkum Riff is a good chance for being hot and I , like you ... dig Cherry Blend . Btw , if you like Paladin [ old ] I think you'd flip over Sutliff St. George Blend . It's what Paladin wished it was , imo ... a nice " black cherrish " flavor . Ice cold smoker as well

Smokey Tom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.