In Defense of the Frog

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bear84, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Agree with this. I know a lot of folks that love at least 50% latakia, and that's fine with me. Ok, fine, so I joke with them that they've lost their ability for fine discernment in blends, but it's all in fun. I occasionally enjoy a heavy lat blend as well, but it's rare.

2. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

FM was my 1st Lat and I still like it. I like all 4 FM's and do like Lat bombs. Lat rules! Been smoking lats the last 5 days or so and plan to for another 5 days or so. ;)

3. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Now that's interesting. I haven't delved into Orientals at all. I'm very curious now.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Try some C&D Oriental Silk. Part virginia, part perique and all oriental. :) I also recommend some blends from the McClelland Grand Oriental series, particularly Samsun, Drama and Smyrna.

If you want to know what orientals do to a latakia blend, smoke some GLP Odyssey and then follow that up with his Charing Cross (or Kensington). Orientals provide the spice and remove some of the "creamy" and smoky.

Orientals are a tough leaf to figure out. There are so many varietals and any "blending oriental" you find is a mix of several. I'd love to find some straight bashi-bagli, yenidje, trabisond, etc, so I could learn more about each leaf. I'm a newb big time on orientals.

Stonewall likes this.
  5. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

I find it hard to believe you are a big time newb in any tobacco related subject kerr. ;)

6. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Frog original was an early milestone for me. I still enjoy it quite a bit.

7. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

I just picked up a tin of this, it smells sooooo good, I'm chomping at the bit to try it tomorrow.

8. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

Frogmorton.......still my favourite lat blend.:byg:

9. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Defending the Frog? Hmm... You'll get no flack from me. Carter Hall apologists on the other hand... :ohyh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.