In less than ONE year's time........

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Puff The Magic, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I've got a roaring cellar going! Tins & Pounds out the wazoo! Jars in 3 stacks of flats (various sizes) of bulks that came in baggies. I feel totally different from last year, believe me!

Last year (late Winter/early Spring), I was shaking! Looked at my meeger little collection of toby (~a dozen opened tins, half dozen sealed, and a little over a pound.........maybe closer to 2) and realized that I should have been buying not only to smoke but to put some away for a rainy day.

I was frantic! I'd scour numerous etailers and local b&m's for anything and everything that I liked, knew that I liked, or wanted to try. Was worried about etail-TAD orders showing up with less than I'd ordered due to some being "out of stock". Now, several etailers have "real-time" inventory as the order goes through. Then, I'd order some toby and thought I had it coming or on the way and a few days later I'd get a call from the etailer that it was no longer in stock! I could have kept on looking for the "out of stock" toby had I'd only known. I tracked an order that was to come from New England (to Maryland) and tracked it right to Wisconsin! Wisconsin? WTF? Then another order went from NC to Georgia! All of it finally got to me except for the "out of stock" toby.

What I did learn from my experiences is:

1. You have to be ready to buy! If you're waiting for the train, you can't be late!

2. Be patient but vigilant!

3. Keep looking!

4. Keep trying new tobys (new to me).

5. Get organized!

Wished I'd started my cellar years ago like so many others have and I have no one to blame but Puff! He did it! It's all Puff's fault, he smoked all of my toby! ;)

The laws are changing gradually and State by State, County by County, they are changing. Maryland only has a 26% toby tax which is turned right around to the customer. The b&m has to pay it to get it in, but the end customer ends up paying it. I've seen some toby nearly double in pricing since then (example: SG & Dan come to mind). So, though the pricing is going up, I still do plan to continue to add to the cellar since toby prices will never be this low again and taxes and additional restrictions WILL happen.

So, I repeat, Cellar Wide, Cellar Deep, and Cellar NOW! It's the only way to rest assured that you'll be able to smoke your toby without paying huge prices (as our piper friends already pay for their toby as in the EU, CANADA, Australia, etc.) Eventually, we will all be paying about the same for the same amount and for now, I'm glad that the USA is a bit slow on the huge taxation. Besides, some tobys get discontinued for whatever reason(s) and if it's one of your favorite smokes, you're S-O-L! So, Cellar Wide, Cellar Deep, and Cellar NOW! :cheers:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

2. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

There can be no downside to cellaring certainly, but as I'm a recent college grad with little income and more loans than I'm comfortable with coming due its not high on my list of priorities. Beyond that I make it a point not to be drawn into buying frenzies. Back in '08 everyone was buying up all the guns and ammo they could lay hands on cuz they thought the dems were gonna outlaw em, but I waited it out and ended up picking up everything I wanted for a third of what it was going for during the craze. Now I'm not predicting a similar outcome for tobacco, but I'm not fearing the worst. I already live in just about the worst state for toby taxes, hopefully that will change when I move out of the People's Republic of New York. Most other states are more sane about the issue and the feds have a ton of bigger problems to deal with.

So will toby prices go up? Certainly. Will taxes go up? Most likely. Will it be crippling? I don't think so. And if I bet wrong, well thats just the price of an unpopular hobby. I'll probably just smoke less and enjoy it more when I do.

3. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I should add that while I'm not cellaring like there's no tomorrow I am accumulating a cellar slowly. I'm up to about two dozen tins of my favorites, enough to see me through some dry spells.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I am an advocate of cellaring these days myself. I think back to the price of tobacco 10 years ago and wish I'd started a lot sooner.

I also think on some of the blends I loved but have been delisted - Gold Leaf, Player's Tawny, Player's Sherwood and No Name, John Sinclair Flake, Exmoor Hunt, Ogden's Aintree etc etc - and certainly wish I'd thought to get some of these before they suddenly disappeared. I know the argument says that one can find substitutes, but other than Beacon Flake for Gold Leaf, I've never found real alternatives for these old friends.

I'd say my cellar is a stock against difficult times to come rather than a true cellar laid down with a view to improvement/ maturation over the years. My intention is to lay hands on 10 years worth and then I'll be happy. I don't wish to be cured of my lifetime habit - I just want to be able to continue it until the proverbial Deal Goes Down!

I'm with Ed here - Cellar wide, Cellar deep...and start now!

Best as ever

Gerry

5. Jayhp

Jayhp Member

I, myself, is in the process of gathering as much info as possible about this concept. I posted a new topic in hopes of finding out more info on said subject. As in bulk dealers, containers, areas, etc.

I truly hope I have the conditions and contacts in which to try this.....

6. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Yes, read this, then read it again. Read it 5-6 times, then give yourself time to digest what you've read. At the very minimun, you're going to be looking at very high prices in the coming years. I do think some of the imported tobacco we love will be unavailable in years to come. That's happening already!

I know money is the big difference maker. I know it's tough out here. Every one of us old farts has gone through the bad "economics courses" our government puts us through, many times over. Join PSF, get active, make some friends here.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

7. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

But that is because of supply problems at the source (SG, JFG, etc) or lack of a US distributor (Dunhill's recent absence), not because of taxation or import restrictions.

8. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

One thing to remember is there is no NTA (not that i know of). Pipe tobacco is a mostly an untapped source for taxation in most of this country. That will almost surely change in the not to distant future as more states are in the red than not. Tobacco doesn't have an huge machine such as the NRA to protect it like the gun industry does. I wish it did but it doesn't. Nor do we have a constitutional amendment to protect us pipe smokers eather. So i think puff has some pretty good advice here. The only power we do still have is ower vote so please write you congressmen. Seriosly. Just my two cents.

9. Jay

Jay Active Member

OK. I fully understand the concept, thanks Puff for throwing it out there! Now, if you old codgers are deep and wide and upon your demise has there been thought of who is to get that cellar? Maybe a little addition to the will or trust that your cellar goes to your fav forum like,uh, this one. And then gets sold so as to maintain the site or just for others to share. I am sure that we have all had the duty of cleaning out a dearly departed relatives stuff and threw a lot away without thinking. You know put a note on the toby jars and make "arrangements" for its dispersal. Just a thought for all of you/us that are wide and deep.

Jason

10. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Outside of some very generous donations and trades from other members, my cellar currently consists of three tins of OGS, two of Escudo, a half-pound of 5100, two tubs of PA and an almost-full tub of CH. I'm hoping to add another tub of CH next weekend and will spend with an eye towards bulking up the cellar the next time some extra cash comes in.

11. atwageman

atwageman Member

I couldn't agree more with puff. Cellar wide, cellar deep, and cellar now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.