1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

In praise of that 'system' - and 'P' lip.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Old Ted, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I know it's 'old hat', and at the risk of 'singing to the choir' - a few words on that old Irish 'institution' - the Peterson. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm eagerly anticipating a top-notch Pete for my birthday early in July, and the 'estate manager' has put in the order (I hope!). I have no real experience of these 'Olde Worlde' bents - with 'P' lip, so at the B&M last week, I picked up one of the cheap entry-level rustic '305s' with the idea of getting in a little practice with the marque.

I've been smoking this little Pete all weekend - can't put it down!, and after two or three bowls it was smoking like a veteran, no problems or badness at all!. That 'P' lip suits me down to the ground, dangles from my diminishing tooth stock with ease, and comfort! - and no tongue bite when drawing hard to start up!....got to be great value for money here. I now have great expectations of my impending premium model!....I'm sold on the system - and can't understand why folks have issues with that m/piece?. Trouble is I now expect a bad attack of PPAD (go figure!):)
    Happy Sunday! OT

2. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

I've been looking at a Peterson for a while, I'm planning on treating myself for my birthday if I can find one for a Good price

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Yep Dave, PPAD (as in Peterson PAD) is a wonderfully terrible thing! :D

The p-lip is very controversial among pipers. Love-Hate sort of situation. I like 'em but gotta watch out getting carried away with drawing and puffing too hard, it'll scorch the roof of your mouth. Tongue is smiling all the way but the roof gets a mild burn like if you ate hot melted cheese (pizza).

You're Premium Pete will do you fine. Hope it all comes in on-time.

Ed
    Puff

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

They're crap pipes and it's a horrific system ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. :xd:

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

.....take care young fella!...we know where you are!:mad:

6. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I hate to say it in public, but my Peterson Irish Sea, full bent, is my least favorite pipe. This is probably because I prefer straights. It smokes fine, which is probably faint praise. I find it heavy compared to others in my (slim) collection. I smoke it since I bought it, but it isn't my favorite. YMMV.

Smoke in good health, Ted, and enjoy the heck out of it.
    WK

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I don't even own a straight pipe, though I have nothing against them. I've selected pipe shapes based on personal appeal & just haven't stumbled onto a straight pipe that called to me...

...that is until I saw Sasquatch's matched pair of blacks. That chubby straight pipe is the bomb!

PS
    I have a little PPAD too, but what's new? :byg:

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I love my p-lip Pete System. If I ever get PAD under wraps, I'll probably unload some pipes and start PAD anew collecting System pipes. I also think (I know, the horror!) that a system pipe would make an ideal briar codger pipe...it can take a hell of a lot of abuse. Enjoy that thing, and don't baby it, for crying out loud!

9. WillH

WillH Active Member

Ah gee fellas. We're getten all gooey over the peelips..... :D I modify mine a little! Works wonderful! Course for the purests out thar it's probably profanity but as they say, "Ignorance is bliss:.!
    [​IMG]
    I like to add a bit of flare to my P-lips.

Will

10. Iain

Iain Active Member

A Pete System pipe is the only thing left on my PAD list, reading all this praise for em is making me want to buy one right now!

11. ric03

ric03 Member

Got a p-lip a month ago, but didn't like the "roof-burning" like Ed says. Put me off PLPAD for a while (Though my PPAD is as silly as ever).

B&M? Am I missing something? I thought over here they mainly sold garden furniture and doritos?? :D

12. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I use my system pipes to tame blends that tend to be a bit excitable. It's great for that.

13. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Well, I have four or five good tobacconist/pipe shops within a fifty mile radius, and being retired - I visit one or more weekly, usually making it a 'day out' with street markets, shopping etc. Other than being a very satisfied customer - I have no connection with Greens of Leeds, but recomend their service, I can order in an afternoon and have a delivery - next morning!.
    Re. the P lip - roof burn is no problem for me! as I only have some natural teeth left below, and a pallet above! :byg:OT
    PS not up on the B&M situation in Lancashire, but in God's own county - Yorkshire! it's still pretty good;)

14. ric03

ric03 Member

There is a nice shop in Bolton (Arthur Morris), beautiful inside like stepping into a bygone era. Other than that, I'm not so sure ~(buy most stuff via tinternet). Heard there are some in Manchester but can't be bothered to go down there! ... I use Green's too, they are excellent! (and cheap :) )
    From Wakefield originally.

15. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I could never get comfy with them. I always ended up modifying the p-lip. I don't think I have any left. As Far as the "system", I always thought it worked quite well.

16. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I have an old Petersen "Dunmore" that doesn't smoke well at all. The draw is too restrictive even when empty (yes it's clear lol). I keep thinking about opening up the draw hole a bit, but right now it's not a favorite. Threads like this make me want to try again though. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.