1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Inherited Pipe collection (Lots of Pics!)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Polymoog, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Polymoog

Polymoog Member

Good afternoon to one and all, in my introduction thread a few days ago, i mentioned that i had inherited my Grandfathers pipes and cabinet and some of you pipe whores expressed a wish to see them, so here we go..........

The cabinet is made of solid oak with bevelled glass doors and belonged to my great Grandfather and then to my Grandfather and now i am lucky enough to own it (but my son will have to wait!)
    My Great Grandfather Smoked a pipe every day of his life according to my mother and he lived until his 90's and my Grandfather was 83 when he passed away about 7 years ago.

I have always enjoyed a cigar or two and like to smoke Monticristos when i can get them but they are so expensive in the UK and thus i am limited to a gift if someone goes on holiday and brings me a pack (or two!).
    Being finacially embarrased at the moment (who isn't!) i retrieved the pipes and cabinet from the attic and bought my first pack of baccy (condor ready rubbed green pack) from the supermarket.

The memories came flooding back of my Grandfather when i was a lad and we used to go fishing together. Summer days on the river (not) catching fish and swatting midges away. The midges never seemed to bother him though with a pipe on full song!

Anyway here i am a month later with a few different choices of tobacco at home and i have even bought a few pipes of my own to add to my collection.

Then i discovered this treasure trove of all things pipe smoking that is PSF and once your hooked well thats that isn't it?

[​IMG]

The pipe rack i made myself to stand on top of the cabinet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    From left to right Duncan, Dr Plumb, Nicely coloured Meerschaum, St Ogdens Bruno, Peterson

[​IMG]
    My churchwardens, Butz Choquin, Fireside, Astoria, Dr Plumb

[​IMG]
    Front - no name but a lovely looking pipe and one of my favorites, Back - Orlik

[​IMG]
    These are the ones i have purchased - Freehand , Corn cob (just had to try one!), Mr Brog Pearwood Churchwarden, Dunhill (i think) but its very faint

[​IMG]
    My most recent purchase is this one from a Freehand , i like the fact the walls are so thick and its a real full handfull to hold, the complete opposite to a delicate churchwarden.

[​IMG]
    All the rest are a bit tatty and need some TLC so i will be restoring them to their former glory with some help from the pages of this forum.
    Would anyone be able to tell me which are the oldest pipes from these pics as im curious to find out which ones were originally my Great Grandfathers (if any) and need to take special care of those.

I hope this has been of interest to those who asked, many thanks, P

rusty, Iain, Jeebs and 13 others like this.

2. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

that is a real treasure trove. Thanks heeps for the pics. I too will be interested to know which ones probably belonged to your great grand dad.

Jeebs likes this.
  3. Hudson

Hudson Member

Congratulations on your good fortune. That is indeed a family jewel. If the markings on each aren't sufficient to date them for you, the stems might give you some indication by patina if not material. If this were CSI you would locate your great grandfather's dental records online in some database you'd have to hack into and be able to compare them to the bite marks in the stems proving conclusively that one had been smoked prior to his losing his left upper lateral incisor in an unfortunate misunderstanding with your great grandmother and her rolling pin.

Stonewall and Spillproof like this.
  4. DanielMelange

DanielMelange Member

Wow, the Butz Choquin churchwarden one is beautiful.

Raffxr7 and vibhakti like this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Nice score! :th1:

6. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

With a username like that, you deserve it :th1:

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  7. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Wonderful collection. Enjoy in good health. :gjob:

8. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Sweet collection!! Special too with its history! Best of luck!
    Love that churchwarden stand!

9. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Outstanding collection! What great keepsakes from your grandad's. I'd say you're set for life and that you've caused a large percentage of PSFer's to drool on their keyboards.

WyoBob

10. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

Nice collection!

11. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

+1 on the possible keyboard damage. :)

WAMPipe13 likes this.
  12. WAMPipe13

WAMPipe13 Member

Very nice and what a variety of different styles too.

13. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

One of the best inheritances I've seen in a long time. As others have stated, green with envy. I have some very nice pipes, but unfortunately, none from my grandfather. I would love to have gotten just one......

14. Lithua pipe

Lithua pipe Member

Great score ENJOY !

15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

What everybody else said combined with what I'm thinking. Congratulations!

HazyDat620 likes this.
  16. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Thanks for the sharing pics of that extra special collection! :th1:

17. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Swee-eet!

18. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Thanks for the pics. I love the stand you made for the Churchwardens.

Great history along with great looking pipes!

19. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

You have some beauties there. I'm sure you are especially fond of them because they were handed down to you.

20. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Your great grandfather had excellent taste. The more brown/tan/farther from black a stem is, the older it is, unless it has been restored. Restoring a stem is a task in and of itself, most people do not get that far (unless they are members of PSF.) The unique shaped pipes are what I would gamble to guess as being older, as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.