Inside of mouth feels rough.

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by shardy53, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shardy53

shardy53 Member

I have been smoking a pipe for about a month and in the last few weeks the inside of my mouth feels rough and I don't taste the flavor as much as I did before. Maybe I am smoking too fast. I don't feel any big bite or burn, just this roughness. Somewhere I read about some product that smokers should use to rinse their mouth. I forgot what it was.

2. Billy Ockham

Billy Ockham Notice when you’re happy.

A product called "Biotene" is sometimes recommended, although I have found it ineffective. I really haven't found anything that works better than a 1-2 day break from smoking.

What pipe and tobacco are you using?

3. moosecop

moosecop Member

what are you smoking... I get this with blends that have latakia but not virginia or aro blends..

umfunix likes this.
  4. shardy53

shardy53 Member

I have been smoking Captain Black for the most part, But I did try MacBarrens Vanila Cream and Honey Chocolate this week. I hated those blends and went right back to Capt. Black white. I have been smoking kind of fast this week since it has been zero to minus twenty degrees for the past four days. Now it seems like I hardly taste the pure black Cavendish tobacco anymore, and only really taste the stronger CB white pouch mixture. This causes me to smoke faster yet to get more flavor. Its almost like a viscous circle. I guess I will have to lay of for a few days.

5. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

Might also be worth having a drink handy while you smoke to clear out your mouth and your palate. Tea and water seem to be the best for me but aren't mandatory.

6. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

How many bowls do you smoke per day?
    Yeah rushing a smoke out in the cold could cause irritation. I smoke indoors, but was on the freezing porch the other night to watch the snow. I found that I was smoking a bit fast and that combined with the wind gave my mouth a light scalding.

Also, when I first started smoking a pipe in earnest years ago, I had something similar to what you describe. I just kept with it and it went away.
    I hope it clears up for you soon :puffy:

umfunix likes this.
  7. Kevin Keith

Kevin Keith El jefe de nadie

I agree with BL, keep water, tea or coffee by while smoking. This will help.

umfunix and BernardLerring like this.
  8. shardy53

shardy53 Member

I smoke three bowls a day. I am forcing myself to smoke slower now. I have one pipe that has a very wide bowl and a wide stem that has to be smoked slowly or it will get very hot and the bottom of the bowl will get really ashy. I actually like the pipe but it is possible that it isn't good for all tobaccos. I do get a lot of flavor from that pipe. Also I notice that I don't enjoy the taste of pure black Cavendish anymore. It is leaving a weird taste in my mouth now and I seem to like the taste of burley mixed in more now like in the CB White package. Maybe I should try Carter Hall or Sir Walter Raleigh now. Could my tastes be changing?

9. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

When that happens to me, I remember WHY I'm smoking.....TO RELAX and to enjoy. :)

Josh Gillis likes this.
  10. Bobby Stubbs

Bobby Stubbs Member

Freezing ..Smoked outside while tending the BBQ pit..for some reason I could not tast the tobacco in the cold..tounge felt fuzzy later..
    put my Peterson P lips into my rotation..problem solved..that and smokeing in the house where it is warm !

jwh891 likes this.
  11. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

That happened to me a few times early on. I was definitely puffing too hard and smoking some of the same blends you have been. Carter hall is a wise move. It is very forgiving. Also it is fantastic mixed with some overwhelmingly sweet cavendish blends. Just keep puffing slow. If the bowl gets hot you are going too fast. It should just be warm to touh and comfortable to hold.

12. piper965

piper965 Member

Excellent advice. You can also have a nice Scotch or Whiskey if you enjoy them. This tends to make a nice contrast on your palate and enhance the flavor of the pipe. Especially if you are smoking aros like Captain. You should be able to taste that one very well.

BernardLerring likes this.
  13. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

The Captain Blacks a day would make me feel bad, too.

Biotine is the mouthwash many pipers swear by. Never tried it myself.

BernardLerring likes this.
  14. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

My mouth also gets rough sometimes. I've read about Biotine, but have never been tempted to try it. I'm usually sipping PBR while smoking, but I sometimes switch to sipping Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey for the final nightcap accompanied by Nightcap. I don't think it does a lick of good. A cup of tea with lemon serves the same purpose.

I find that changing up the tobacco helps, keeping some OTC on hand to interchange with more boutique blends. If you are smoking Black Cavendish all the time it may be wearing you out. I recommend SWRA which is the prince of OTC aromatics. Right now I'm alternating between a tin of Dunhill's London Mixture and Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey, 2:2. If you mix it up a little with a tried and true OTC it will give the tender membranes in your mouth a rest and keep your tastebuds sensitive. Sample a few OTCs to see which one suits you as a go-to, and keep it on hand. These old blends have earned their reputation as being daily smokes for a reason: little bite with respectable satisfaction. They give you and your palette a break but keep you engaged with your pipe.

Smoke in good health.

15. thedismaltrade

thedismaltrade Sales Account

Biotene works for me. Give it a try

16. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like a case of the Tongue Gremlins. I would say slow down your puffing. In fact, you should puff, but rather, sip the smoke from the pipe...nice and gentle like...

17. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

I get this same feeling when I go on a Latakia binge. An ashy taste as well. A days rest and a switch to a good vaper works for me. Good luck and please don't let this discourage you from pipe smoking. It's all part of the learning curve. We've all been there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.