Insurance question

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Bob K, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob K

Bob K Member

I'm thinking of applying for some more life insurance. One policy differentiates between "nicotine user" and "non-nicotine user."

As I average 2 pipes a day, am I a nicotine user? I'm not being facetious ... medically and under law, I don't know the answer.

Opinions?

2. Bent

Bent Member

Tobacco has nicotine; whether you chew it, smoke it, snort it, or take if is supository form.
    2 pipes a day = habitual smoker, addicted or not.
    Answer: user

3. Capt

Capt Active Member

Yes, you are unfortunately. Quit for a month.

4. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

:startl:

Dondi likes this.
  5. Professor

Professor Active Member

Technically: Yes. But you don't inhale - do you? What they mean by nicotine user is (in most cases) cigarette smokers. So I think (bending the meaning of nicotine-user a bit) You can fill in 'non-nicotine user' with good conscience. :)

jkstewart1 likes this.
  6. jkstewart1

jkstewart1 Member

I vote for you being a non-smoker and I mark 'non-nicotine user' on my medical forms, but its up to you and your conscience. I don't inhale, I don't smoke cigarettes, therefore I consider myself to be in the non-smoker category of my insurance. Again it is up to you. Are you good friends with your agent or someone else who sells insurance? You could ask them where the line is drawn.

Professor likes this.
  7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I don't inhale, and I don't smoke for nicotene. I'm a tobacco user, and nicotene is a byproduct. "Nicotene user" implies you smoke for the nic.

8. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

My insurance company actually swabbed the inside of my mouth for tobacco usage. I of course came back positive, but when I explained that I did not smoke cigarettes or chew tobacco the broker did not hold it against me. I pay the same rate as a non-smoker.

9. Professor

Professor Active Member

WTF? :eek:

10. furious

furious Junque collector

That's crazy. Sounds like 1984 to me.

11. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Most life insurance companies *do* consider you a tobacco user if you smoke a pipe, and you mislead them at your peril. I was in the same boat last year. I found that Prudential is one company that gives pipe smokers a break- you might want to take a look at them.

12. furious

furious Junque collector

Glad that I work for the local gubment and don't have to worry about such things. Whew!! Smoker, no problem. Pre-existing conditions, check. Wish everyone else had group coverage like that because there is safety in numbers.

Jussto likes this.
  13. zirrow

zirrow Member

only if they required you to have insurance. Oh, wait...

14. Marker

Marker Active Member

The mouth swab is a pretty standard test for life insurance now. I was an insurance agent for 6 years.

Nicotine takes about 3 weeks to clear your system. Quit for 3 weeks and take the test. You can ask if there are levels to smoker/non-smoker rates but I would just do the 3 weeks off and get it over with.

Imagine how good the first bowl will taste after your life insurance is approved! (I said it that way for a reason. Don't have that pipe until after they say you are approved. Not just because the mouth swab is over.)

neoclassical likes this.
  15. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

What if they "swab" ya when your dead, find nicotene & cancel the benefit?

16. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

To me insurance companys do whatever they can NOT to pay you..

Old Codger likes this.
  17. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

My policies state that any change in any of the statements/conditions, made on the application, had to be given in writing to the insurer within a short period of time of that change being made. You might want to read the fine print and find out what's what. I've noted a few changes over the years and it didn't change the premiums. Maybe smoking a pipe is a lower risk factor than flying a Pitts and they think they're ahead of the game now.

18. Marker

Marker Active Member

Life insurance has a 2 year lookback (could be less or more, ask). Meaning if you die in the first 2 years by misrepresentation of fact they can return all your premium and not pay the policy. That is only if you die because of the misrepresentation. If you lie about smoking but get killed by a meteor hitting your face, they cannot void the policy. The smoking did not cause the meteor strike. Same goes for suicide. In the first 2 years your bene cannot collect by suicide. After that time period policy pays out.

SouthBound likes this.
  19. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I did not know that. I hate to lose options. It's good to have that one back on the table.

WrightwoodJohn and Old Codger like this.
  20. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Fortunately ipads clean up easy. Iced tea up the nose however is a different story. Thanks for the brain freeze.

CMAsailor and SouthBound like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.