Interesting lingering smells after smoking?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Thaisamurai, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

I hope this is the correct forum to post this, if not I hope an admin will move this post to the correct forum.

I noticed something interesting/funny today while I was rearranging my pipe collection. I have recently been smoking St. James' Fox Dorisco Mixture (a V/P) in 3 of my pipes, and I happened to get a whiff from the bowl of one of them. I was surprised to find that it smelled sweet! And I mean sweet like dried sugar syrup or something. I sniffed the bowls of the other 2 pipes and found the same thing.

I compared the smell to my other pipes that have recently been smoked with different tobaccos and found that they either had only a minimal hint of sweetness or no sweetness at all (just an ashy, burnt baccy smell).

Anyone have any idea what's happening here? And has anyone else had a similar experience?

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I reckon everyone has...a pipe is a porous object...it absorbs moisture and volatile oils from the burning tobacco. Different blends, depending on their make up, will leave their own mark (smell) in the bowl. Sounds like you found one that retains some of its pre burned scent, is all. Could be worse...it could smell like a horse's bum.

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I'd rather take "Horse's Bum" that Mix XX. :thumbsd:

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

A couple of mine smell like brown sauce!...guess what I've been smoking lately! :eek:hyeah:

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Hershey's Syrup?

6. Major

Major Member

I think some people would refer to this as "ghost". Sounds like natural sugars or even added casings have built up in the bowl. While some is desirable some is not. Depends on the individuals nose. I would however suggest that if you like it and want it to stay then remember to use those certain pipes for a smaller variety of toby or just dedicate them to a single toby use.

I have 2 pipes I use for aro's only and I smoked 1/2 a bowl of a new blend in it and it ghosted it rotten. I was totally unaware that it was a heavily cased dessert flavored aro. Take that for whats its worth but if I know in advance that an aro is heavily cased in dessert fashion..... I won't be trying it in my aro's pipes or buying it for that matter.

7. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

I thought "ghost" refered to a lingering taste of other tobaccos rather than bowl smell? I could be wrong of course, I've only been pipe smoking for a few months :idiot:

I was just surprised that my pipes should smell sweet, since Dorisco Mixture doesn't smell sweet at all in the tin, and it doesn't smell or taste sweet while being smoked. A friend of mine once remarked that the smell reminded him of "a farmyard with lots of animals, but in a good way".

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Thai,

It's probably the Virginias in the blend
    that are lingering, which is a good thing!
    I smoke mostly VAs and I have several
    pipes that smell sweet. It's possible
    that the cake has built up in these
    pipes more than your others. Just a
    theory.

dp

9. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

After I've just smoked a pipe, its bowl will smell dank and sour.

If I let it rest for a day or two, it then starts to smell sweet again. That's how I can tell that it's ready for anouther round :bing:

10. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

My VaPer briars smell sweet too, and the smokes I enjoy in them get better over time as well. The GBD I am smoking now has a great sweet undertone to it, that compliments the virginia flake I am smoking. Very pleasant and satisfying!

It is a different sweetness than some of my other pipes. Some dedicated Aro briars I have smell more like the flavors added to the Aros, while others have an almost "sweetgrass" aroma. The sweetgrass smell really adds to the smokes, while the flavors tend to change the 'new' bowl flavor, until it burns out. I prefer the lingering sweetness in my virginia pipes over the flavored ones, and the sweetgrass flavor is more middle-of-the-road for enjoyment. It depends on what I want to experience in the smoking session.

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Me too! I smoke mainly virginias and aromatics - heavier more robust flakes in the winter and a medium strength mixture in the rest of the year.

Because of the bad winter it'd been nearly three months since we were last down in Northumberland - and when I walked into the bedroom where my set of English Falcons live I was greeted by the pleasant albeit faint aroma of sweet/tobacco. Those pipes have only ever had Carey's Bruno Special through them, and its initial note is of maple.

I always by the way took "Ghost" to mean both residual smell as well as taste - and it was lovely to be haunted by the Carey's Ghost I can assure you!

Best as ever

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.