Intro to Lakelands

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by N3M0, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

So I want to start trying some GH blends with that wonderful (or dreadful) lakeland essence I've heard so much about. I'm looking for 3 blends to try:

An Intro (not heavy on the lakeland thing but I still want a little hint of it to get started)
    A Medium (decent amount of lakeland floral/soapy flavor)
    Full (full on lakeland goodness)

Would like some suggestions :)

MainePipe likes this.

2. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

PM me and I will send you a sampler of what I have on hand.

Mington, Spillproof, Dondi and 4 others like this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Monkey is The Man!!! MonkeyMan!! :thu2:

Mington and N3M0 like this.
  4. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Thanks monkey, will do. I echo kerr, you're the man bdp

Mington likes this.
  5. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

I posted a very similar thread a couple weeks back and a generous member sent me some samples. PSF is a great little community. :appl:

For intro I would say in my limited experience BB#2 is excellent. I cannot detect the Lakeland thing, but apparently it's there.

N3M0 likes this.
  6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I'd say for an introduction, Brown Flake Unscented. Despite bearing the name "unscented," in my experience with the 500g package I bought there is a slight hint of the floral stuff in the background for the first few puffs. It persists throughout the bowl, but I rapidly stop noticing it. It is unscented in the same sense that American OTC burleys are unflavored - those usually have a hint of cocoa or cinnamon or something going on, just not enough for it to stand out and dominate the flavor of the smoke. The "Lakeland" thing in this blend is VERY faint.

If you like that, go on and try Best Brown #2 flake, which is similarly produced with a fairly light hand as regards the flavoring, but it has a lot more of it than the Brown Flake u/s. Still, if all you smoke is one bowl of it, it wouldn't be too terribly hard to de-ghost a bowl with a few smokes of something else. This is one of my all time favorite blends! Enough to get a good taste of the floral thing, but without overpowering the taste of the tobacco, strong enough in nicotine to satisfy at the end of the day but mild enough to smoke first thing in the morning. My favorite all around any time tobacco!

And if you like THAT one, there are a few good options for a full on flavor blast. Bosun Cut Plug (scented!) and Ennerdale Flake spring to mind. Kendal Flake also is quite good, and more strongly flavored than BB#2 but not as strongly as these others. And the flavoring for them all is different, there is no one "GH essence." Dark Flake Scented, for instance, has some anise or licorice in there, for instance, and Kendal Flake, imo, is dominated by almond rather than floral tastes (though the floral stuff certainly is there!)

I see Monkey offered to send you some samples of a few blends. Hope you like them! I think they're great! But some people don't, and they can ghost a pipe pretty tenaciously, so you might consider first trying them in a cob, just in case :sailor:

JescoWhite likes this.
  7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Go into your bathroom and lick your wifes soap . It will be pretty close :rolleyes:

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Smoke whatever Ruffinogold doesn't like and comes from overseas...it's likely to be very good!

Snake, ruffinogold and N3M0 like this.
  9. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Truth be told, I really don't want someone who smokes as much as you to fall for Gawith Hoggarth. The ensuing scarcity would make me weep.

ruffinogold and N3M0 like this.
  10. Tsal

Tsal Old Timey

This is the funniest thing I heard all week!!!

Mington likes this.
  11. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I can do Grousemoor at times. First, I had to convince myself that what I was going to smoke was a wonderful spice. If you can get your mind to believe what you're smoking is a wonderful spice found in Paula Deen's kitchen you'll be halfway there. I get no soap taste with Grousemoor. Start working on your head.

Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

Mington likes this.
  12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

butter is not a spice

ATXPipe and Ol Brokedik like this.
  13. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I whole heartedly agree. Fantastic and very generous group we have here.

Mington likes this.
  14. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Thanks Nesta for the suggestions, greatly appreciated man :th1:

15. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Ok, I tried it...and I think I liked it.

Might need another lick though just to be sure.
    Is this the best way to get into Lakeland blends? ;)

ruffinogold and Mington like this.
  16. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Grandma's underwear drawer?

N3M0 likes this.
  17. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

There are many great guys like Monkey here on the forum. :th1:

18. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Ah yes, the wonderful aroma of stale perfume and moth balls. I'll get right on that and report back

Mington likes this.
  19. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Pretty much the majority of the forum, at least that's what I take away from my own personal experiences :th1:

nesta and Mington like this.
  20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Lol .. truth be told , I only had 5 bowls today [ 1 SWR and 4 H&H at work ] . But it's only 8:30 PM .. so at least one more

Actually , that blend that was in the box Pass wasnt super soapy , I forget which it was , but I could understand someone going for that blend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.