IRISH FLAKE

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I just got my tin or Irish Flake and a pair of Washington cobs in the mail today. So far, I've smoked two bowls of the IF in one of the new cobs and I'm really not all that impressed. The Vitamin N was sure there, but on both bowls it's had a pretty acrid taste when I first fired it up.

The acrid taste dissipated after a minute or so, and it had an alright flavor. However, I don't think it was as good as the UF, which I don't think is as good as Erinmore. It took me a few bowls of the UF to get a good feel for it, so I'm gonna give this some more time. But so far, it's not so promising.

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Oh, I hope :yy: doesn't read this post. :csmile:

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

IF is not cased, while UF and Erinmore are. Perhaps you prefer blends with a subtle casing. Nothing wrong with that. There are no requirements when it comes to personal taste. ;)

4. WillH

WillH Active Member

RTO was that IF very dark flakes and pressed hard about 1/2" wide? I got some that was lighter in color and not pressed nearly as dense and about an inch wide! The lighter stuff had an odd taste. My latest IF is as it should be and is just pure straight up tobacco.
    Also, just FYI, I dry the IF to the point where it's nearly crumbles. Rub it out rather course - not fine, and stuff in the ole' pipe. It's great! Not a daily smoke but once-in-awhile nothing will scratch that ole' nicotine itch like IF.:D
    [​IMG]
    Oddly I like to smoke IF in this pipe! Not exactly a traditional flake pipe! Dunno

Will

5. Longbottom Leaf

Longbottom Leaf Member

I tried it last week and got a sweet taste when I lit up. May be you got a off tin if that's possible?

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Just because I'm spearheading a campaign to rename IF 'Paratrooper Flake' doesn't mean I have a reason to mock a green around the gills squiddie for trying. (I remember playing dress up as a kid...my daddy's boots didn't fit me at the time then either.) :)

Eh, seriously, IF isn't going to be for everyone. Especially at first...it's 'stoutness' can overwhelm the palate, masking the flavors present. I think I recall my first go of it being a failure too. It may be just a matter of acclimatizing to it. Then again, it may just plain suck, depending on individual taste. YMMV.

7. RTOdhner

Green around the gills?! Hey, I resemble that remark. I'm gonna give the IF a fair shake, and keep at it. It may have just been something in the new cobs that I smoked it in. I'm going to try some older and well-proven cobs, and also some birars starting with my trusty briar Canadian. Then, again, it may just not be for me. With so many flake tobies out there, I figure the law of averages has got to dictate that I'll be less impressed with some than others. And in all fairness to Pete tobies, I really like their Old Dublin, Irish Oak, and Sherlock Holmes. Their UF is also quite enjoyable, and it's way too early to pass final judgment on the IF.

8. RTOdhner

It was pretty dark stuff and it smelled just wonderful, which is why the acrid taste suprised me. I figure the problem has to do with the cobs I was smoking it in, or my technique. I left it to dry about 45 minutes before smoking it, so maybe I need to cure it longer, My kid has a baseball game tonight, and that takes an hour or more, so I'm going to leave a flake out before the game, and then turn "The Canadian" (a no-name, Italian made briar Canadian style pipe) loose on it. I thought that the PS LNF was only so-so until I set the Canuk on it, then it really popped. The Canadian might just bring out the best in the IF as well.

9. Albert

Albert Active Member

Ill risk sounding like a broken record here, but what really got me enjoying IF was letting it dry a bit and then mixing half IF half CH in a bowl (had it this morning)... They compliment very well and you get that chance to really taste what the IF has going on. Then I move on to just IF when I want that full dose and I can taste whats going on in there. my two cents.

Kiowapipe likes this.
  10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I can easily agree!....never had IF - but I mix CH in various amounts with a few VA flakes, and ribbons.....ok on it's own too, but don't see much of it around these parts!:(
    OT

11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

That might be a good recipe for breaking in his new cob too. I remember my cobs having a burnt corn taste that was fairly acrid until the 2-3 smoke. Then it tasted slightly burnt at the bottom of the bowl only for another 4-5 bowls.

12. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

While I'm reluctant to reverse wean someone onto a high nicotine/strong blend when it may not be for them, the CH mix may do the trick. Even the new corn break in may be a problem, (I forgot about new corn influences.) My own opinion is to try it moist from the tin, as a drier flake is quite smoky, and IF is plenty full tasting straight from the can.

Another thing...I never smoke more than one flake at a time. I suppose a three flake pipe might sound good, but sometimes too much of a good thing is too much.

13. Albert

Albert Active Member

You said it.. one of the first few times I had IF I put 2.5 flakes into a bowl and sat down to read. 2+ hours later I stumbled to bed like I had been at the bar and for the next two days my mouth tasted like I drank the biker stew all night long. Kick a** stuff that can kick your a**.....Just like everything Irish..;)

14. RTOdhner

I left two flakes out for about two hours, and smoked them in the Canadian. Much improvement. Great flavor, but, damn, two flakes has given me the nicotine high from hell... oh, hello, Harvey.... you're awful tall for a rabbit... why no, I'm not delirious... I really can see you...and Frodo... and a pink elephant... let's all go get a beer... over there, look, no I'm not stoned...pretty colors Hatter... I am the right Alice, damn it!..jabberwocky...Frivilousbandersnatchmethinksthedawnlookeverythingissogreen...giggle giggle...good idea....mommy, I don't want to go to school.....

Damn, this stuff has got some Vitamin N in it! I think I need to smoke it in a much smaller pipe. But it's also very good.

albot9 likes this.
  15. Buck1

Buck1 Member

/\ /\ /\
    This is exactly what I said after my first (huge) bowl of 10 Russians

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.