1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Is a Kaywoodie pipe high quality?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Raffxr7, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I ran across a kaywoodie in a horn shape, straight stem-it's in good shape overall but has more cake than I prefer, but not more than I can take care of in about an hour. It's priced reasonably, but not rock bottom priced either. I'm getting too use to my $5 bargains, but they are also usually a drugstore brand (willard (a trio, and my favorites), royal house LTD (my big evening pipe), no name seconds, etc) I was recommended to get a peterson, but I'm still learning what's worth buying for myself and what's worth restoring and giving to a friend as a starter pipe.

So, Kaywoodie... what is your opinion of them?

2. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

My understanding is that the older (pre-1960) ones are very good quality, but they are many people who enjoy all the Kaywoodies. I have a pre-1970 one and it is a good smoker.

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Does the pipe have a stinger, or push tenon? If it has a stinger, how many holes are in the stinger? What color is the clover, and what markings are on the pipe?

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

It totally depends on the price. 15 dollars or under, place a bid. They are budget pipes if produced recently, but they have a reputation for smoking well. The older the models were priced (in those days) equal to any higher end pipes on the market, up there with Dunhills. A good Kaywoodie will smoke like a dream, and if you're only spending a few bucks on them then the gamble is worthwhile. If they are over 20 dollars and you only know that it's a Kaywoodie and have nothing else to go on, it's not worth bidding on.

Kaywoodies DO feature a "stinger," in most cases at least. Sometimes they work really well at what they're meant to do, sometimes not. Sometimes people who don't prefer the stinger cut them off, and the pipe may or may not work better as a result. I would prefer to get one with an in tact stinger, and you can remove it yourself if you feel the need after trying it a few times.

Certain things like a four digit shape number or a stinger with four holes on the ball at the end are indicators of older Kaywoodies, and are very likely to be quite nice pipes.

Further, a large amount of cake is often an indicator that the pipe was very much enjoyed by the previous owner who smoked the heck out of it. Clean it up, and it is often going to be a good smoker for you as well.

Here is one I recently got:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/140790012172?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Despite the pictures, it came quite heavily caked and it took some serious effort to clean the cake out of the pipe. Once done, it's smoking pretty well and I enjoy the pipe. 15 dollars including shipping, it isn't my best smoker but it smokes a heck of a lot better than a 15 dollar briar can be expected to smoke!

5. furious

furious Junque collector

Can't add much to what Nesta posted except to say that older pipes are a bargain most of the time on ebay. The 4-hole stinger and 4-digit number models are prime smokers. Ones with yellow "rock ambera" stems are a bonus!

6. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

This one is at a local flea market, they are asking 15 for it. The logo is white, I believe it has a stinger (I checked the airways, just in case it was problematic there) It has an older look to it, I'd say that it's probably from the 70's. As far as removing stingers-I love 'em. It stops any tobacco from coming into my mouth on the first long draw... which is a bit unpleasant for me. I'll check it out again this weekend, since I won't have time during the week. Thank you all very much, I have a feeling that I will be picking up this pipe with my next check.

I've got a silly question, too... there are some Lord of The Rings styled churchwardens going for a low price online (I know that valuation isn't something the forum rules allow, so I am omitting as much about that as I can to not get in trouble!) There is a catch to these pipes-the stem is metal with wood covering it. How much does that affect the smoke-ability or enjoyment of the pipe?

Side note:
    The only metal stems I use are my utilitarian farm made & used beater pipes so that I don't loose a favorite briar in the field... 6" of stainless or copper isn't too hard to deal with for that, and it's made from ash wood. I'm just too cheap to use a normal stem on something that's going to be thrashed.

7. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

A lot of those cheap LOTR pipes are dubious junk.

nesta likes this.
  8. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

That confirms it then... seemed like a display item and not meant to be used as a pipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.