1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Is a Nording Freehand a good investment?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by AlexanderM, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

To me, the easiest answer is save up another $50-75 (I know, maybe not possible) and get a Wiley pipe that looks good to you. The best value in the whole industry to my Mind.

AlexanderM likes this.

2. Greasy Neale

Greasy Neale Member

I did this exact thing at one point and ended up with a pipe that gurgled and never dried out. What is it with Wiley? Why do so many swear by his pipes? Is it price point? It can't be quality. I've owned one before and I wished I had gone with an early Kaywoodie instead. What is it about Randy Wiley that makes his pipes so loved by so many? It has to be price point. Right?

3. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

My Dad has a Mas...it is definitely a good "bang for your buck" sports car, but to call it an investment is laughable. With less than 20k miles, his trade in value is 3/5 of what he paid. That being said he's trading in the Gran Turismo for a '14 Quattro.

Support a brother on the boards and get a BST or a DGE

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  4. LBauer12

LBauer12 Member

I have a Wiley Patina that gurgles every smoke. It was my second pipe and bought it as an estate. I think it's drilled too high. I hardly ever smoke it any more cause of the gurgling and the stem is way too thick. I do want to try and fix it with some pipe mud at some point.

5. Greasy Neale

Greasy Neale Member

I threw mine away. Well... I mean, I fed it to the raccoons. A Wiley pipe is like apple pie to a bored coon.

BradNTX likes this.
  6. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

I have a slight gurgling problem frequently when I smoke certain pipes, but I have never, never had an aggravated case with any of my many Wiley pipes. I guess the appeal to me is that they are truly big (and that is big with me) and individualistic pipes. I've never thought they were particularly great -looking pipes, although a few are awesome - they just smoke really nicely. Structurally, they are fine, in my opinion. the opposition to these pipes is totally bizarre to me.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

If I was looking for a Freehand for $100 or close to it, I'd look at Nordings or Neerups. I have 2 of the latter, and they are fantastic smokers.

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Price point was not the reason for me buying 2 Wiley Freehands. Oil cured briar, fantastic sandblast, plus precision drilling and stemwork convinced me to buy a second Wiley after owning the first for a year. I've had that first pipe for 5 years now, and it is my favorite Virginia burner. I did not mention Wiley as a suggestion in this thread because they are above the price point suggested by the OP.

[​IMG]

Benton629 and AlexanderM like this.
  9. Nboggs70

Nboggs70 Member

I do not own a Nording but I received a Savinelli Miele 606 last Father's Day and it is a great smoker as are all of the Savinelli's I own. I also have a Gepetto billiard made by Ser Jacopo which is an awesome smoker but was a bit pricier than my Sav's. If I was to recommend a brand to someone looking to spend in the hundred or so dollar range it would be Savinelli, but as has been said here before a pipe must "speak"to the individual buying it.

I will also throw in that I own a DGE that smokes great too. They are available for a very good price and I am pretty sure you can find where to purchase them.

AlexanderM likes this.
  10. wmblake

wmblake Member

I have a Nording that I've had for 20 years. Solid smoker. It's a largish freehand. Back in the day you could pick up a real nice one for 25 bucks.
    I shopped around online a bit and came up with this. http://www.thompsoncigar.com/thumbnail/PIPES/NORDING/10956/c/10956/pc/8394.uts
    I'm not associated with the site in any way, just thought any of those would be a decent deal.
    Beyond that I can only echo what some have said. Shop estate pipes. I've got my eye on a Christmas Comoy for $50.
    Edit, Here's mine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    RTOdhner, ducat2, johncorosz and 3 others like this.
  11. Wyldcard

Wyldcard Active Member

I have 2 Nording one 30 years old and one 40 years old both are very good smokers,feel good in the hand as well as pleasing to the eye.
    I plan to add a few more to my collection this year

12. johncorosz

johncorosz Member

I thought I would drop a bomb on the thread. So once upon a few years ago I told these guys about my love of Giant Nording Freehand Pipes. The lady who I talked to after that would keep calling me from the pipe shows with a few new finds. At the time I had pretty good income so I would get a new pipe about every month for a year. Now I can't afford to but she is still buying them like crazy and they seem to keep selling. [​IMG] The prices however were all my idea!!! I told her she needed to be competitive and sent her the links to all the major online sites. So please check them out if you need a deal on a briar or meer. I know for a fact however the Nord's are the cheapest online!

http://www.milantobacco.com/erik_nording_pipes.htm
    [​IMG]

13. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Well your asking for opinions so here's mine, I had two and sold them both. I'll have to say this though, they both seemed like quality pipes. I'm not sure why I didn't like them. They seemed to be drilled fine, the Finnish was nice enough, quality briar etc. but I was seriously underwhelmed with them both. Maybe just the fact that they were freehands.

Nothing about them would prevent me from buying another I guess, but it would have to be something that really spoke to me.

14. johncorosz

johncorosz Member

You also used the word "investment." That is what I was thinking when I purchased mine as well. I wanted something heavy duty to last me many years. I also wanted to be able to sit the pipe down when I was at the computer as I am not a clincher (holding pipe in teeth). I like to puff for awhile then put the pipe down and come back to it later on. But I smoke fast and that means heat!!! Who the heck wants a hot bowl when they hold the pipe? Not me sir.

So let me show you these bad boys that I would love to buy right now but I am broke. - http://www.milantobacco.com/erik_nording_giant_freehand_pipes.htm

15. Wyldcard

Wyldcard Active Member

I have added 2 more Nordings to my collection since my post in this thread and am adding another here in a week for a total of 5.
    Still going to get more I figure 10-15 then I might stop:bing:

All smoke great but the '60's bent acorn smokes best followed by the oversized '70's freehand, the '70's bent Rhodesian then the '80's bent apple a close 4th.

The bent acorn is in my top 5 smokers it's in the same class as my Dunhill and cost $175.00 less:eek:

16. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

I'm obviously not as sophisticated as some members but I have two of the Signature series and they are solid pipes.

17. DODiF

DODiF Member

I own a Freehand Nording and some Savnelli's. Both smoke great. My Nording has always looked amazing to me. My first pipe ever as well. Only thing about the Nording is the bowl is huge! Not a "bad" thing, just these days for I rarely have a chance to really put my Nording to use.

18. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I've wanted a Nording Signature Series (signed naked/virgin wood) since I found this place and "discovered" the brand. That being said...whenever I'm looking to spend that kind of money on a pipe...I've yet to have their brand pop into my head.:confused:

I will say that as both @SmokeyJoe and @Mister Moo said...I've yet to find a $75+ pipe (or $100+ in the case of some of my pipes) that smokes so much better than a lesser costing pipe that I'd say that it warrants dropping that kind of money on it. i.e. I just bought my first Dunhill...an estate pipe...recently. It's a very good smoking pipe, aesthetically pleasing, and is put together well. I can see why people dig them so much. That being said, if I had to buy it new...it would be a $300+ pipe...and it doesn't smoke any better than a new $75 Savinelli.

19. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

I do not own a Nording. I have looked at them and liked them. I do own one pipe which I payed a bit of money for, a Sav which went for about $80. That should tell you what I consider, "a bit of money." Yes, I am "cheap." Probably why I do not own a Dunhill or even a Nording.
    I will say these two things. First, the Sav smokes nice. I like it. It fits well in my hand and I enjoy it. However, I have a whole rack full of $8 MM Country Gentlemens which I actually like BETTER and they cost a whole lot less. Will they "retain thier value?" Who cares? I am going to keep them and smoke them until I, or they die. Period, dot, end of sentence.
    I could have goten many CGs for the price of that Sav so, while I enjoy it, I am nto planning to get anymore unless a REALLY sweet deal lands in my lap. Yes, If a Sav, or a Nording, or even a nice Dunhill should plop into my greedy clutches for a steal, I will be on it like white on rice but I am not going to go out of my way looking for them. My MM's and my old standby "Calabrest/calabesi" briars will do and for a whole lot less money.
    Second thing, this is me. If YOU have the money, are not a cheap skin flint like me, and you LIKE the Nording, by all means, go for it! You have asked for advice, we have given it to you but the choice is yours dude. You are the one smoking the thing. Will holding that pipe in your hand fulfill you? (knowing the bread you laid down for it ; ) It is your call.
    Personally, I go with cheaper pipes, as long as they function well and fit my hand good, and I worry more about the tobacco I am smoking. The 'baccy is where it is at for me.
    Just my two cents worth. Happy puffing. :thu:

20. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

I can relate to CoreyR being close to a $1.. There are five freehand pipes in my collection. Two of my freehands are Nording pipes, one in a Nordcoat and the other is a sitter. One of them was a gift, the other an estate pipe. The best freehand is a Karl Erik pipe, quite stylish and a great smoke. Life is all about choices and sometimes it is too short not to have the things you want. These days I am thinning down my collection and I too smoke and enjoy MM pipes. IF YOU WANT THE PIPE BUY IT AND ENJOY IT.

Stinger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.