Is Grouse-Moor by SG any good?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Trendsetter, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

So is this stuff any good guys? The TR news on it wasn't very convincing to say the least. Anyway, what do y'all think? Ever had it? How was it? Anybody maybe desperate for a tin of it? Lemme know guys thanks

2. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Oh and Plum Cake Mixture by Germain & son. How is that?

3. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I tried the Grouse Moor but found it to taste of burning hay. It may be the topping they use I'm not sure. I have found this taste with a few SG blends so in the end gave up on them. I did seal up the tin so will revisit later on.
    Cheers.

4. Coffee-Cup

Coffee-Cup Member

Trendsetter! I have and really enjoy the SG Grousemoor Plug tobacco, but I am not sure that it is the same tobacco that you have in the tin. For me this tobacco has a wide array of very light complex subtle flavors and it has to be my first pipe of the day or it would be a waste of time. I especially enjoy shaving small slivers of this tobacco from the plug, drying it out for 1/2 hour and smoking it in a small diameter tall pipe; it is so delicious. :cheers:

5. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Grousemoor is kinda an acquired taste. When I'm in the mood though, nothing comes close. It's very floral and captivating but really not to everyones liking. You can always trade it off if it's not to your liking. This is one weed that I think most people who try it find it unpleasant and I only recommend it for those who really enjoy a Lakekland weed.

6. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

thanks guys, Im waiting til this summer to pop em open

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Grousemoor is good. It's a nice virginia, little rough on the edges maybe, but this lovely sweet essence floats in and around the taste the whole time. Wife HATES the room note.

Germain's Plum Cake was a big dissapointment for me. Germain's have a typical house taste with a lot of their blends. They have a bitter element that I don't appreciate. This one sounds dessert-like on the tin, you expect a black fermenty mess and it's just not. In the tin you'll find golden brown ribbons and a trace of some black weed or other. It's a virginia-mostly, pretty sweet. Whatever essence is on it has kind of an acrid taste to me in the pipe. Very similar to Germain's #7 and Uncle Tom's.

8. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

sounds awesome
    a little sad about the plum cake, but it was five dollars because they hadn't priced it and the tin was dented (like I care lol)
    Anyway, I'll take them for a spin in my MacArthur, hope they're good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.