Is it an Aromatic?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Mister Moo, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Not much for flavored tobacco I recently got on to a MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake jag. Like the fairly pungent Erinmore Flake I don't consider Vanilla Cream an aromatic but wonder what other experienced smokers think.

Gothicmace, Slow Tri and sillyoldbear like this.

2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I draw a line between tobaccos that are aromatic, and tobaccos that are an aromatic. There are tobaccos that have flavorings added, but are still predominantly a tobacco flavor that are aromatic (Erinmore, University Flake, Frog Morton's Cellar and even stuff like Carter Hall and Half and Half). Then there are tobaccos that are 100% flavorings, and the tobacco flavor is non-existent. To me, those are (an) aromatic...

gd9704, Jeff10236, mitchell and 6 others like this.
  3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

"No"?

mitchell, Gothicmace and sillyoldbear like this.
  4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Ive never had MacB Vanilla Creme Flake...

mitchell and sillyoldbear like this.
  5. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I would think there are shades of gray rather than it being a matter of black or white. McB's Vanilla Crème shouldn't be in the same category as Blue Note but I would consider it an aro.

Jeff10236 likes this.
  6. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Aromatic...No doubt. I swore off aros a long time ago. I found Drew Estate Heirloom Cherry and Vermont Meat Candy to my liking very recently.

mitchell and Gothicmace like this.
  7. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Just got a tin of this from Moo and had forgotten how much I liked this blend.

One drawback though is that it does not come in bulk.

Does anyone know if the Vanilla Cream Loose Cut is just a rubbed out version of the Vanilla Flake?

Jeff10236 and mitchell like this.
  8. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Actually.....never mind.

I just saw that smokingpipes.com has the flake in 16oz boxes. Woo Hoo!

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

In my view, if a tobacco tastes more like its flavoring agent than tobacco, it's an aromatic.

Mac Baren Vanilla Flake would therefore qualify as an aromatic.

Had to edit, as I put non-aro first. Sorry. I would call VF an aro, but that only makes it so based on my definition of aro.

psquared and FlatbushPaul like this.
  10. Longbottom

Longbottom Member

Practically all pipe tobacco is flavoured with something. So in a sense all tobacco is aromatic... Personally I don't really like the word aromatic, since it says so little about the flavour. Not only could it be any kind of flavour, but it could also be any kind of strength, so it doesn't really help a lot when describing it.

Anyway, what's important is whether you like the tobacco or not. What label to put on it is less important :)

irish2fish and Jeff10236 like this.
  11. Jeff10236

Jeff10236 Member

Aromatic is a pretty ambiguous term. All pipe tobacco (as Longbottom said) is cased or flavored with something.

For me my usual view is how strongly the tobacco is flavored. Some are clearly aros, like (ick) Captain Black, or (yum) Trout Stream. However, G&H tobaccos all seem to have at least some "Lakeland essence" yet they clearly don't see all their tobaccos as aromatics (they make a distinction between their scented and non-scented tobaccos), so having a distinct flavoring doesn't automatically make it an aro.

A less precise definition could be do they use non-tobacco descriptions of the additives (chocolate, vanilla, cherry, and various spice flavor descriptions), then maybe it is an aro. Still not perfect since many pure VA tobaccos and some others may use spice descriptions to try to describe the flavor, even though nothing with those flavors or scents was added. So, maybe it is the non-tobacco additives alone? Though, tobaccos like McB Vanilla Cream and Vanilla Cream Flake, or SG or G&H Chocolate would be aros in any of my usual definitions (in the name, named in the description, obvious non-tobacco flavored additives, and noticeable flavor), yet they have a strong enough tobacco taste that there is some disagreement as to whether they are truly aros.

Maybe the best definition of an aro is like the Supreme Court's famous definition of obscenity, "I know it when I see it." On this definition, I've gone back and forth as to McB Vanilla Cream. For what I see as what makes an aro, it has some aro characteristics. For what I see as what makes a tobacco a non-aro, it has some non-aro characteristics. Because it has vanilla in the name, and there is a fairly strong vanilla flavoring, I would lean towards calling it an aro (though that is where I fall today, it is not clear cut, and my position frequently changes). The one thing I know for sure, it is among my favorite tobaccos.

12. Jeff10236

Jeff10236 Member

Try the 1lb box to see how you like it, but personally I prefer the tins. Smaller, more user friendly flakes (in the tin they are about the perfect size for a medium sized bowl, in the box I need to cut them for most of my pipes), and I think the flavor is slightly different. I think it has a little more vanilla flavor in the tin (i.e. the tin is a bit more aromatic than the box :) ). Of course it can be all in my head, so back to my original statement: try the box to see how you like it, but personally I prefer the tins :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.