Is latakia a tongue bite inhibitor?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by bluepipe, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

I don't smoke many blends that contain latakia, but the ones I've tried so far have no tongue bite what so ever. Others must have noticed this as well.

Of course, like everything else, this might just be my impression. Maybe it's because you don't have to puff as hard to get flavour with latakia - the flavour and aroma is so strong. Some virginias have very subtle flavour that you have to search for it, urging the smoker to puff more often.

I smoke virginias mostly (and some McBaren's blends) so I am extra careful and slow anyway. The Va/Pers I smoke have also less tongue bite than straight Vas. I remember reading about Perique helping virginias with tongue bite.

What do you think?

It is worth noting that I am now smoking some PMP in a dublin stanwell - both very kind gifts from Mr. Andy Lowry.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I think Lat is pretty bite free . The only times I've been biten with a blend that had lat , was cause of the va in it

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

If I've been smoking VAs all day, I'll switch
    to a Lat/oriental blend. So, I agree with
    Ruff.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I've only heard of one smoker so far that gets bitten by latakia. I suppose anyone can develop a chemical reaction to anything, but latakia producing tongue bite is rare indeed.

5. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i don't get bitten by Lat, but i have a reaction to it--years ago it used to give my severe headaches--today the headaches are mostly gone, but i get a pretty severe oral irritation--'ain't' chemistry wonderful--i really like the flavor latakia imparts--

6. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

I have a reaction to it as well, it makes me want more. My wife will come home to find me rambling incoherently on the computer about "look at this stem!" and "this flame grain is amazing!" clicking "Buy it Now" with no self control. I have a doctors appointment next week to get checked out.

7. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Let me know what he tells you. I might benefit as well. I just made an offer on ebay that I didn't think would be accepted - it did, and I am not paying for another two pipes.

CalPiper likes this.
  8. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I think you hit on something there. Virginias tend to bite me occasionally & this is probably the reason.

9. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

It's counterintuitive, smoke slower and puff less, to get more out of your smoke. Also, I found that if I put it down just for 10-15 minutes it makes a difference as well. When you start again your tongue is more "responsive".

10. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I don't know if it's the latakia or the other tobaccos typically used with it, but for me, most English blends in general, and especially things like Frog Morton, have no tongue bite whatsoever, and they usually burn very cool. One of the many reasons that most of my tobacco that I smoke regularly is English blends. And I think the VA's do cause some bite and heat. I smoked some Esoterica Dunbar earlier, a VaPer, and it was kind of scorching me until I slowed down with it. Now, Esoterica's VaPers don't have much perique in my opinion (Dunbar and Dorchester), and Escudo has more of it and bites less, so I think Perique might be a bit of a bite-inhibitor as well.

11. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

It does seem counter intuitive but to get more flavour out of yer baccy, you gots to slow down. It really does work.

12. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

First let me say, I am not a fan of English blends but in my early years of pipe smoking I did try several different Latakia blends and although I do not remember any tongue bite associated with them, I do remember suffering from dry mouth during and after smoking blends with latakia.

13. desertmoon

desertmoon Member

I am FINALLY getting my sipping technique down.....it has made a world of difference!!!

14. user2428

user2428 Active Member

I believe Va's have a higher sugar content? Lats dont? High sugar equals higher burn rate=more steam= more tongue bite?

15. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

That means that burley that's cut cavendish and artificially filled with sugars would still bite. Is that the case? I don't know, I don't smoke cavendish much.

I think I will disagree with the burn rate though. I find VA to burn slower. My latakia blends just go way faster. However this might be due to MY smoking rate when I smoke each blend. Plus the VA are generally in a flake so they burn slower... hm....

This is not rocket science, I know. Still it's cool to know the explanation.

16. user2428

user2428 Active Member

I get the bite on cavs if I don't mind it right..

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.