Is my tobacco mellowing or am I getting "used to it"?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by David L, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David L

David L Member

Ok, so I was just sitting out on the porch watching it rain (which was lovely BTW) and I am noticing more and more that my tobacco doesn't taste as strong as it used to. I'm wondering if it is mellowing or am I getting used to the taste.....

I've been used to smoking aromatics when I have smoked on and off for the last couple years, but I just started smoking English blends and it seems like the tobaccos I have are mellowing out (or my taste is). My thinking is that it may be a bit of both. I just got a local English blend and a tin of Balkan Sasieni in last week and they both had a strong flavor when I opened and smoked them initially, but to me it seems the taste is getting weaker or something. The aromatics I smoked yesterday tasted like air really. Today I've been smoking the Balkan and English blend and they don't seem as strong either. Is it my imagination or is this something that's normal and I haven't smoked enough to know. Or is it the English blends that are changing my tastes?

Also, if the tobacco IS getting weaker is this typically what happens in storage?

Thanks for the advice! :sf1:

2. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

You are probably mellowing as much as the tobacco. You've just started to notice.

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Could be a number of things. You
    are getting used to smoking more.
    Your pipes are more broken in, and
    have more cake. Which means a
    cooler, sweeter smoke. Airing out
    blends mellows them a bit.
    Whatever the reason, enjoy!

dp

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I think your pipes are changing flavors. Going from an aromatic to an English will make make for a little bit of funky taste. Four or five bowls of English in a row will start to even out (mellow) the flavors you are tasting.

5. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Also, your palette might be shot. Sometimes your mouth needs a straight day without tobacco (or more) to reset your tastebud's perceptiveness.

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

See? We narrowed it down for
    you David! :roflmao:

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

+1 Possible palate fatigue.
    Yes, some of us believe in something called palate fatigue. Take a break and/or change tobaccos for a while. I go back and forth between english and vapers when things seem like they're sagging or getting boring.

+1 Is your pipe as clean as a pipe can be? There is some critical mass of crud in shanks and stems that arrives and squashes (then sours) flavor.

8. David L

David L Member

Clear as mud! :xd:

Seriously, the help and suggestions are very helpful and really help me understand a lot of the things I'm experiencing with smoking a pipe more frequently. I took the rest of the night off smoking last night (I work 3rd shift so I stay up later than everyone else at home) and up until tonight I hadn't smoked. I could really tell a difference in the way things tasted.

I got my new Johs freehand Dublin sitter in tonight and I had to try it out. I'm loving it BTW. :wub: Anyway, thanks again for all the help everyone!!!!! :thankyou:

9. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Probably a combination of you and your pipe becoming used to the blend. Vary the blends you smoke to prevent "palate fatigue".

10. slprl1

slprl1 Member

Let's keep it simple. It sounds like you are starting to notice and appreciate the blends of real tobacco's instead of artificially flavored ones. Just about all I smoke are English blends. Take it more slowly than aromatics, keep it slightly warm and enjoy the myriad of flavors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.