Is the burley used in pipe tobacco the same burley used in cigarette tobacco? Is there a difference

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ArmedOctopus, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Obviously there are major amounts of additives in cigarettes, but other than that, it is it the same?

2. Robin

Robin Member

I don't think the "tobacco" used in cigs is really tobacco anymore. It may have started life out as burley etc., but after being ground up, turned into paper, treated with God knows what, shredded back into something resembling tobacco, and rolled into nicotine dispensing fire sticks, it's not really tobacco anymore. I would advise against smoking that trash guys, lets stick to our pipes!

AustinLM, boiseTim, dmkerr and 4 others like this.
  3. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Robin, like your icon, 48 years.

4. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Had the invite a few times, never signed up, probably should have

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm a Knight of Columbus

As far as the thread question ... I don't know . I'm thinking theres a few different types of Burley , white Burley being the most popular , I think . I don't think all or most cigarettes are just Burley though . Good cigarettes have Turkish tobacco tossed into the mix as well as Virginia and some even have Perique .

Thuber88 and inkybat like this.
  6. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

There is no easy answer for this. Surely some of the burley used in cigarettes and pipe tobacco is identical, but then varieties of the same type of tobacco will be selected and grown for different applications as well. What typically differentiates tobacco in general, aside from orientals and cigar wrappers, is the manner in which it is treated and prepared for its purpose. To a large extent, cigarette tobacco is processed in such a way as to increase the smoke's acidity, making it less harsh to inhale and nicotine easier to absorb into lung tissue. Pipe tobacco is processed in such a manner to provide certain flavors and aromas.

dBear and inkybat like this.
  7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Come to think of it ... I had gotten a list of chemicals in cigarettes from some such place when I had the pipe / cigar shop . It was a crazy long list but a good many of the chemicals were from the paper . I think people often forget a cigarette is tobacco wrapped in paper . I'm sure they " juiced up " the tobacco in cigarettes but the paper is paper , after all . Paper cant be good

boiseTim, Thuber88 and inkybat like this.
  8. inkybat

inkybat Member

So, cigarettes are more acidic and pipe tobacco more alkaline? That's fascinating. I wonder how they do that, if there's a certain chemical they add or if it's all in the tobacco.

9. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a process to adjust the PH level of pipe tobacco per se, but they do adjust chewing tobacco to be alkaline in order to aid nicotine absorption through the lining of the mouth. Someone on the forum did an experiment concerning the alkalinity of pipe smoke a while back, you might try searching for it. The results were interesting.

inkybat likes this.
  10. inkybat

inkybat Member

Very cool, thanks so much.

11. TheLonePipeman

TheLonePipeman Member

No, it's likely not the same ...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y1_(tobacco)

Big tobacco companies have creative ways of adding ingredients without them being classed as additives. I have a good friend and neighbor who used to work for a company that produced various alcohol solutions for different industrial applications. He told me that they had one product that was alcohol with a nicotine concentrate added. This was sold to the makers of swisher sweets who sprayed it on their product as a "drying agent." The alcohol evaporates quickly leaving the dissolved Nic behind. Thus nicotine was artificially increased without the use of a true "additive".
    I know it's a third-hand story, but I trust the source. I promise I'm not wearing a tin-foil hat! :whis:

12. inkybat

inkybat Member

I'd say that was believable, and really kind of gross too.

13. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

15 year PM here.

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

This.

Imagine a lunch bag, shredded up. That's what's in a cigarette. Reconstituted tobacco - google it if you're a cigarette smoker. Then again, who stopped eating hot dogs or Spam* once they found out what went in them? Not me.

*Spam... Everything But The Oink!

boiseTim, inkybat and Thuber88 like this.
  15. Leonard W

Leonard W Member

If the question is 'Can the same unprocessed Burley leaf be used in both pipe and cigarette tobacco,' the answer is 100% yes. It can and is used for both. The key word here is 'uprocessed.' That same Burley leaf will be cased differenly, cut differently for cigarette vs. pipe tobacco vs. moist snuff.

16. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

As an aside (since this doesn't answer the question), some cigarettes contain almost 100% virginia. Cig smokers should fork over the massive amount of bucks it takes to find a pack of Davidoff Magnums. Look at the tobacco opening on the bottom of the cig. Orange and orange-red virginia throughout.

Not all cigarettes use only nastiness.

Robin likes this.
  17. Robin

Robin Member

Good God man! Davidoff Magnums ! I found them online for $72.00 a pack! I'm sticking to my pipe, no way I could afford that habit. :) I would smoke one though, if I had the chance just to see what a $4 cigarette was like.

inkybat likes this.
  18. TheLonePipeman

TheLonePipeman Member

The point of my link to the Wikipedia article on Y1 tobacco was to demonstrate that in at least one well known example the industry used cross breeding and genetic manipulation to create a type of tobacco for cigarette production that had a higher nicotine content than was previously available. The article claims that Y1 continued to be blended into some brands as late as 1999. Thus the tobacco used in those cigs was genetically different from more commonly produced varieties regardless of how it was later processed. This is only one example though, some brands might be completely identical before processing. Either way I don't want to find out. :)

19. ted

ted Member

We sell a lot of tobacco (organic burley) to Santa Fe tobacco for cigarettes. This burley could be sold as pipe tobacco... Difference is that cigarettes use stems and veins of the leaf which are usually higher in Vitamin "N".
    Most (not all) pipe tobacco uses veins, but not stems. This makes the pipe tobacco easier to flavor, and a bit milder (as a rule).

Snuff,...... Skoal, Cope, etc. uses wheat flower (about 45% by weight) as an additive, and ammonia to inhance the absorption of the nicotine into the bloodstream..

ted,

20. blendtobac

blendtobac Member

Another thing is that the darker grades, which usually have a higher amount of nicotine, are used mostly for chew and snuff, sometimes in pipe tobacco, but not much in cigarette production as it's quite harsh on the lungs, The Burley used most commonly in cigs is white Burley, and is often toasted to mellow it out.

Russ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.