Is there a difference between 3 Oaks and Rose of Lat???

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Trendsetter, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Hey everyone. Im thinking about getting some Rose of Latakia for my toby cellar and for smoking, but I already have three Oaks Syrian and From Morton Across the Pond. Can anyone give me subjective and objective differences in these blends? And one more thing. I heard from a rotten, ridiculous, grapevine that McClelland uses preservatives, which results in the ketchup tin note of many of their tobys. Is that true in any way?? Thanks as always!
    TS

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Not having tried the tobaccos you mention, I can't pass opinion - but my advice as always - would be to sample a small amount for a day or two before making a large investment, then you will have your own views on "subjective" and "objective" differences - which may not coincide with ours. As to your last question - a "rotten, ridiculous grapevine" seems hardly worth paying heed to!.
    Cheers, OT

3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

I really liked 3 Oaks Syrian from the first time I tried it. Definitely one that I keep stocked.
    Rose of Latakia, on the other hand, didn't hit off with me. It's a good tasting blend, but, I could barely detect any Latakia. Maybe it was just that one tin...maybe my expectations were too high based on the tin description...maybe it was just the wrong star alignment. At any rate, after finishing that tin, I'll leave the rest of the "Rose" for others who may enjoy it.
    Just my opinion.
    Dan

4. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Ok thanks woodbutcher, thats what I was looking for. I'll def go for something else. And thanks for the reassurance Old Ted.

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

The "ketchup note" comes from the Virginias, which McC apparently cures with the assist of acetic acid (prime ingredient in vinegar). I presume it's used to control anaerobic fermentation. It's mostly the straight Virginias where it's detectable.

6. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

hm thats interesting. Thanks Andy. I've noticed it in Esoterica's Dunbar and Dorchester also. Same deal?

7. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I'm coming a bit late into this, but I want to confirm Dan's opinion on Rose of Latakia. It's not nearly the latakia bomb you'd hope it is. In fact, it is overwhelming with the McClelland ketchup flavor that you get with a lot of their blends. If you've smoked a lot of McClelland tobaccos you'll know what I mean.

That being said, I tore through my Rose stash like crazy and now I'm starting to miss it and may have to order more. It's good tobacco, but the name is very, very misleading.

8. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Alright thanks Gourley. This ROL stuff sure sounds an awful lot like Frog Morton Across the Pond. Can anyone verify that? Exact same ingredients. Not a ton of latakia....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.