1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Is there a problem with this Ferndown I just bought?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ChrisB, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

When I take the mouthpiece out and look into where it goes, the hole is bored at the very top of the chamber edge, not at the center. It is a full-bent pipe, but I thought they should drill on the center of the small chamber that receives the mouthpiece.
    Thanks.

2. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

Not necessarily, I've seen bent pipes drilled like that before. Does it take a pipe cleaner? It's not the end of the world of it doesn't but at least you'll know if the stem and air hole line up. How is the draw? Does it whistle? :confused:

3. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Thanks, no the pipe cleaner gets blocked at precisely that point - sounds like it runs into the "wall". There is no whistle however. Any thoughts?

4. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Reading your post I would most likely think that due to the pipe being a full bent---when the person drilling the pipe did it they most likely had to drill it this way so as to allow the draught hole to hit dead bottom like it should.
    If this bothers you one could take a tiny micro file, and make a small ramp at the bottom of the hole so as to allow a pipe cleaner to follow the ramp up, and into the draught hole.
    If you do this--this is a ALL hand work process, and is done SLOW so as not to screw up the pipe. I have done this with full bents to allow for pipe cleaner passing.
    Again probably due to the angle of the mortise hole--the driller had to do this at that specific angle so as to make the draught passage/hole meet up at dead center bottom.
    It actually is no big deal as long as the pipe doesn't whistle, gurgle, or have moisture issues. You may even just desire to leave it alone.
    I DO NOT advocate just hacking at the interior of a pipe. I MUST SAY if you do the micro file/ramp thing I said about--BE CAREFUL. GO SLOW--ALL HAND WORK--NO--NO POWER TOOLS

Spillproof and Old Codger like this.
  5. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

He's kidding. Hook up an impact drill and go to town. And remember, the more you wiggle it, the bigger the hole will be. :whis:

And if you follow the above advice......I pretty much owe you a pipe.

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Most Peterson bent pipes I've seen are drilled this way too. I'm not a huge fan of the stem & shank holes that don't line up, but my Pete is a good smoker. It builds a little gunk and takes a little extra cleaning, but not that big of a deal.

7. Taco

Taco Member

Yeah, both of my bent Petersons are drilled like that too. It isn't a problem. What is a problem is in the draft hole is above the bottom of the bowl. That's worth double checking.

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Have you tried putting a slight bend to the tip of your pipe cleaner and turning it a bit to get past this point?

Wicker Man likes this.
  9. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Does it smoke well? I have some pipes that are drilled like that but I actually didn't notice until long after they were broken in. All of them smoke fine, because the draft hole hits the bottom center of the bowl, not too high or too low, so no problems smoking down to ash or wet tobacco.

10. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

I smoked it last night and it was perfect. Went well with some 1820. Thanks all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.