1. This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is for people seeking advice on maintaining their own pipes. It is not for showing off commercial work done by yourself or anyone else.

Dismiss Notice

Is this salvageable?

Discussion in 'Repair, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Butts, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butts

Butts Member

I got a pipe that the seller said had a loose stem. Loose is not the word. Is the stem missing a part? The metal piece goes from the bottom of the bowl to about a half inch into the stem. Also what would be the best way to clean this pipe? (hopefully the pics work)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

2. soonersoftail

soonersoftail Member

From the picture of the stem it looks like I might see a metal sleeve that has pushed its way too far into the stem ab
    nd could be pulled back into place. If not a sleeve could be glued into the stem.

3. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

I would remove that metal from the shank and turn that meerschaum to an 3-6mm pipe with a quality tenon. For inside the bowl i would use sandpapers by hand or a dremel tool bits,no alcohol because the material will absorb it.

4. cmatsangos

cmatsangos Member

Butts, I'd take SidStavros's advice.
    I had a meer from ebay in a lot worse shape than that, Sid fixed it for me in the manner he explained. It's now one hell of a smoker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.