Is this tongue bite or something else?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by xmacro, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xmacro

xmacro Member

It only occurs with certain tobacco's, but sometimes after smoking a bowl, my tongue feels "raw" -I brush my teeth and tongue, and it feels like my tongues been scraped.

Tobacco's that do it are Rattree's, Squadron Leader, a few Virginia's, etc. Penzance does it, but to a far lesser extent.

Is it the higher nicotine content? Something else? Just wondering if this happens with anyone else and what causes it

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Sounds like tongue bite to me . Smoke different stuff or become jaded . :)

3. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Could be the orientals...

4. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

The Squadron leader is a surprise to me, could you be smoking too fast and too hard?

5. xmacro

xmacro Member

Maybe too fast, but not too hard. I've been smoking cigars for awhile now, so I always pack my bowls to my preferred cigar draw, which is a tad loose, so the draw is always easy for me.

It's weird, the Solani ABF made my tongue feel raw after 10 minutes, but the Penzance I smoked last night took two bowls/4 hrs before I started to feel anything on my tongue. It may just be the nicotine or something in the tobacco that's reacting

6. Morse

Morse Active Member

Could just be a chemical reaction between you and the tobacco - I think to do with your body's natural ph and the ph of the smoke/tobacco. I cant smoke PA for instance - from the first puff it stings. Virginias tend to smoke a little hotter due to the higher sugar content but, all other things being equal, it may simply be that you and burley's dont get along, or it could just be ABF.

7. tungbite

tungbite Member

This is "tungbite" and I am smoking ABF as I type this. ABF has never bit me and is one of my favorite tobaccos. My tongue bite usually came from OTC aromatic blends, but mainly from smoking 10-15 pipes a day. I almost always find myself smoking way to fast and consequently the bowl gets hot and the heat, not necessarily the tobacco, burns the tongue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.