Issue w/ Pipemaker - What Would You Do?

sfduke

A well-established pipemaker agreed to make a commissioned pipe for me. Pre-paid the cost for the pipe six month ago to help out during a natural disaster.

Expected the pipe after the workshop was back up and running. Workshop has been back up for the past three months. Pipes continue to be made and posted for sale (and sold). No email response to any of my emails.

Finally got a response 1.5 months ago via text message that the pipe was pending, but still no updates. This was a pipemaker that I have purchased several pipes from before and never expected to be burned like this.

What would you do that I have not done already, other than out the pipemaker. Any advice and/or help would be appreciated. Never experienced this issue with any other pipemakers and hope to still recieve the pipe as agreed.

sfduke

Well damn it man. That’s a real shame. I’d hate to think you’re deliberately being ignored. What was the excuse for no communication or progress?
Was told 1.5 months ago orders were behind thus for the delay. But apparently new pipes are being produced and available.

Reason for the lack of response to my emails were that they were going to spam. Finally texted the pipemaker's cell for a response. Recent texts are now either being ignored or blocked.

I am a reasonable person and understand we all go through issues. All I want is a timeline on when to expect the pipe. Guess my expectations are too high.

sfduke

He sent you a text, call him until you've talked to him, and if he doesn't answer your messages or give you the answer you want, give up who it is on the world greatest pipe forum to warn all of us of how he handles his business.
Problem now is my texts are not being replied. May have to out him so those at the Chicago show know prior.

sfduke

One thing you could do is ask for your money back (via text since he's communicating that way) if the pipe is not delivered by a certain date.
My guess is there is financial hardship involved so asking for a refund is not ideal. Also, the payment was via "gift" six month ago to help the pipemaker out since he needed immediate funds during a natural disaster and posted on Reddit for help.

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Huh. Well, as a pipemaker, I hate taking money up front because when I do finish a pipe, it feels like I'm not getting paid for it (even though I have been!). I can guess who you are talking about, but I won't speculate about it. Eventually you'll have to out him, and when you do, you want proof that what you are saying is absolutely true - payments, emails, all of it. Stick to the high ground, accept a refund if he'll offer it, that kinda thing.

Teddy Jeavons

Patron
My guess is there is financial hardship involved so asking for a refund is not ideal. Also, the payment was via "gift" six month ago to help the pipemaker out since he needed immediate funds during a natural disaster and posted on Reddit for help.
Since you asked what "you would do" I would honestly just keep being patient awhile longer, but you're certainly well within your right to do otherwise. Eventually it might come to a head anyway, but it might yet be avoided.

Last edited:

rondel65

Misplaces Lighters
Patron
Did you pay with PayPal? You could ultimately file a grievance if it comes down to it. Keep all documentation regarding correspondence with the seller. You've been patient long enough. Could you really enjoy this pipe knowing how a pain in the ass it was to get it?

sfduke

Quit texting, call him until he answers or returns your call, then tell him your intentions. Then let it be known here, a lot of members will be going to the show and can make mention to him of your displeasure. That should get you a return call.
I prefer to keep this situation in a professional manner and maintain personal integrity (mine in this case).

Hope a few members going to the Chicago show can ask the person on my behalf. Already shared the name with a couple PSFers.

Let's hope this all comes out well in the end and the pipemaker's reputation does not have to be publicly outed blatently.

gnossos

I can guess who you are talking about, but I won't speculate about it. Eventually you'll have to out him, and when you do, you want proof that what you are saying is absolutely true - payments, emails, all of it. Stick to the high ground, accept a refund if he'll offer it, that kinda thing.
The story in this thread does sound familiar, but I suppose I won’t speculate either. It’ll be interesting to hear the conclusion to this one...