It’s time to give our last respects to the old PSF

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwaugh

Staff member
As all of you know by now, Woody the owner and “admin” at PSF died unexpectedly and left the PSF moderators without the ability to maintain the forum. The old moderators with the help of two new people have set up a new forum at https://pipesmokersdens.com

It is unclear how long the old forum will continue to function, and it could become non-functional due to a software issue, or simply from lack of payment to the hosting service. We hope that PSF will stay functional for as long as possible because it is an invaluable resource with years of collected knowledge. We don’t want to see the place turn into the “Wild West” and feel need, out of respect for all the people that loved the place, to keep tabs on it. We, meaning all of us, have a new forum and it seems like now is the time to move on.

It seems a fair and respectful way for us all to pay our last respects is to have one last thread for everyone to post their last message to the forum.

If you wish to post something, we ask that you only post once in the thread, so take your time with what you want to say. After you post something we will turn off your ability to make further posts at the old PSF. We will leave the thread open until Sunday May 20th 6pm. After that, we will look at PSF as place to visit, read, and reflect, but not post. Please do not post things that are negative toward any individual or group and things about other forums. We are asking you to be respectful of PSF and it’s members. If people need to vent, they are welcome to to do so and can send me a PM.

We all have fond memories of PSF and a place to start new ones. -David

Oh yea, post in this thread.

Last edited:
Good Morning everybody.
Well .. many of you may be aware of the fact that I was relatively new to Pipe Smokers Forum, when we all became aware of the unexpected death of Woody.
As I have said before, in various places, and with sincerity and respect; I will say once again here .. Rest in Peace Woody!
The transition from here at Pipe Smokers Forum to Pipe Smokers Den was one which was made very smooth by the efforts of the mods, and certainly the participation of the community.
I personally transitioned over to Pipe Smokers Den and yet, I continued to visit here at Pipe Smokers Forum, as an homage to Woody, and also for the nostalgia of this place.
For May of 2018, I even started the thread .. What are you Smoking May 2018 .. and stated, " .. it is with optimism that I post this brand new thread .. What Are you Smoking May 2018?"
Now however, today, on May 15th, 2018, I will hereby post my last post here in Pipe Smokers Forum and, with fond memories, I will move on from here.
.. Peace to each and every one of you that may read this today, or perhaps even in the distant future.
.. I'll see you there ..

321 One / Damian.

I really don't know what to say. It saddens me to see this place go down. Before joining this forum, I was lurking for at least a couple of months.
I went through the archives, reading each and every post in the "ask an old fart" section. I read so many of those posts that I actually asked
Mr. Moo a question, before someone pollitely brought to my knowledge that even though he may have taught me many things post mortem,
what he certainly will not do is post on this forum again.

So very respectfully, I say: rest in peace, woody, mr moo and all the other members that have been able to help us, even after their own death.
I am not much of a religious or spiritual person, but I do believe their spirits live on as long as their knowledge is passed on from one fellow
pipe smoker to the other.

Thank you all for participating in this forum. Fortunately, many are moving on to the den. Thankfully, some of the kind words of those
members is copied to be preserved there.

Sir Saartan the tan Saarlander

I really enjoy my Finck WF Milds. Which should come as no surprise...if there's anyone who loves Finck cigars more than I do, I don't know who it would be. This one is a 6x50 WF Mild Atlanta.

My earliest memories of Finck and their Travis Club cigars go back to the early 1960s when, as a little boy, I would stare the box of Senators in the glass counter at the cash register at Furr's Cafeteria. Have a great meal and top it off with a great machine made cigar on the way out. Even then those looked like something that I wanted to get to.

I didn't care as much about the little butter mints in the bowl next to the register. Give me a good machine rolled cigar any day.

It's been a lot of fun. Adios Pipe Smokers Forum.

Call the roller of big cigars,
The muscular one, and bid him whip
In kitchen cups concupiscent curds.
Let the wenches dawdle in such dress
As they are used to wear, and let the boys
Bring flowers in last month’s newspapers.
Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Take from the dresser of deal,
Lacking the three glass knobs, that sheet
On which she embroidered fantails once
And spread it so as to cover her face.
If her horny feet protrude, they come
To show how cold she is, and dumb.
Let the lamp affix its beam.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

“My heart goes out to you just the same as ever! Your letter has stirred me to the bottom. The fountains of the great deep are broken up & I have rained reminiscences for four & twenty hours. The old life has swept before me like a panorama; the old days have trooped by in their old glory, again; the old faces have looked out of the mists of the past; old footsteps have sounded in my listening ears; old hands have clasped mine, old voices have greeted me, & the songs I loved ages & ages ago have come wailing down the centuries! Heavens what eternities have swung their hoary cycles about us since those days were new!”

Mark Twain's response to a friend's letter. It seems appropriate. It be appropriate. It hasn't been so very long that PSF has existed, but so many have come and gone that it seems like a long time. I've come and gone a bunch of times myself. I wish you all the best in the future wherever you end up.

I've spent many hours reading this forum,and learned quite a bit from Mr Moo,JimInks,Spillproof,
and may others as well as our Admin Woody.I first joined in 2014 but my pipe smoking started
in 1983.It wasn't untill I learned the proper techniques that I truly learned to enjoy pipes.Thank
You all for your guidance and support.I am on the other side,but have returned to my original
user name.May we all keep learning TOGETHER. RIP Woody RIP Pipe Smokers Forum
Norseman
LostMason
Matthew

Status
Not open for further replies.