It's a fine art, this pipe smoking.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Captain Eight, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

I've done something right with this bowl. I'm not sure what, but it's just "working" like a charm. This is by far the best bowl I've had in my short pipe-smoking life. It seems just the most subtle difference in packing-technique can completely make or break a bowl. I packed this one a little bit lighter than I normally would, and I had the very welcome BIG surprise this afternoon when my girlfriend - out of the blue - said she didn't mind the smell of my pipe and doesn't care if I smoke it inside (we share a small apartment). So I think it's a mix between those two things. For whatever reason, the bowl is nice and cool in my hand (well, slightly warm, but nothing like the heat I usually get out of it), and it's making all the difference to the smoke.

The tobacco is "Frog Morton Pipe Tobacco" that I chose only because I thought the picture on the tin was a bit nostalgic-looking. Really enjoying it. Just puffing away slowly.

Just as I type this I'm starting to get some relight-issues unfortunately. But I guess I'll only get better with time...

2. ol gto

ol gto Member

+ 1 :) Enjoy the smoke don't let the relights distract you!

Elwin likes this.
  3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Glad you had one of "those" smokes, it's wonderful when that happens! Don't sweat the relights, a few of them per bowl is just part of it sometimes.

4. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Yeah, it is a fine art. I have been smoking 6 months and things are starting to click.

WrightwoodJohn and Mark w4mms like this.
  5. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

CH in a grabow cdl.

6. Captain Eight

Captain Eight Member

Sorry, what?

7. Capt

Capt Active Member

It's amazing how great a smoke can be when you are in a comfortable location such as your private dwelling, and not hurrying and puffing like crazy when smoking outside.

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Location, location, location! Also, I have to tell you that one of the biggest breakthroughs for me when learning how to smoke a pipe was learning to fill, not pack, the bowl - despite the terminology generally used. Just the least bit too densely filled, and it goes all pear shaped. If you fill just a little too loose, you can EASILY fix that with the tamper. If you pack too tight....sometimes you can loosen it up later, but it can be tricky for some. More often than not, it means tongue bite and poor burn!

9. Capt

Capt Active Member

I also find the more initial (charring) lights I use, the better the burn and flavor of the bowl. I do not try to get it lit with one or two, but I will light it a bit, wait then light it again. Never more than a few puffs at a time. Eventually, it will stay kit and give you more enjoyment.

albot9 likes this.
  10. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Congrats. The Frog is a wonderful smoke all the way around!

11. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Nice! Gotta love when the ladies say ok to puffin in the house and you got a good smoke goin! I'm so fortunate, although I'm thinking if I cruise into the house blazing a bowl full of Latakia I'm out with the hounds!

12. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Congrats, Cap'n. It does sometimes take a while to get everything to click, but when it does...wow! Relights can be a little excessive at first, but the key is not to fight them by trying to puff too hard. Before long you'll find a rhythm that allows you to keep it going longer without overheating. It's a journey to be sure. I'm still perfecting my technique. You won't see me walking away with a trophy from a pipe smoking contest, but I'm a lot better than I was when I started.

By the way, I think Colorduke may have intended to post on the Now Smoking thread.

ol gto likes this.
  13. Jay

Jay Active Member

It's that A-Ha moment. And it is good so sayeth the pipe and tobacco gods.

And the lady likes your smoke, 1000 double bonus points for you!

ol gto likes this.
  14. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Oftentimes one's frame-of-mind can have a big effect on how good a pipe goes too!

WrightwoodJohn and ol gto like this.
  15. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Frog Morton is a great . I love the Frog.

If it is a bit loose and you get too many relights, remove the surface ash and lamp lightly. After relighting take a few normal puff with the tamper on top of the cherry but just the weight of the tamper, no more. That will push the lit tobacco against the layer below getting the burn just a little deeper. Someone suggested that and it works well for me. But, if you put any pressure on the tamper you will just crush out the light.

ol gto likes this.
  16. Dimm

Dimm Member

It's part art part science and all fun!

ol gto likes this.
  17. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

Each pipe will seem to have it's own "temperament" also. One might handle a heavier pack than the other, one will "marry" a certain tobacco. I've got a Pete Kinsale that handles McC Brindle Flake better than my other pipes. That's great that you are starting to hit those good moments!

ol gto likes this.
  18. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Indeed. Fill technique changes everything. You had the "ah ha!" moment. That's so cool when it happens.:bday:

19. shadow

shadow Active Member

Excellent, Captain!:appl:
    Alfred Dunhill called pipe smoking "The Gentle Art Of Smoking". That's what it is all about.
    It's not easy but it's not difficult either.... it's just an art!
    Carry on enjoying your pipe!:bing:

WrightwoodJohn and ol gto like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.