I've been invaded by Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

limpinghawk

My estate $11.00 Savinelli finally arrived, and after working on restoring it I finally got to smoke a bowl this morning.

Wow, what a pipe!
I filled a bowl and lit it with a match (of course), and to my surprise I didn't have to relight as usual.

I wanted to make a cup of coffee, so I thought I would give the pipe its initial light, and when it went out I would go and make my coffee.

Well it wouldn't go out..;)
I smoked it as I normally would and after about 5 min. or so, it was still smoking.
I had to put the pipe down so that I could make my coffee.

What an amazing pipe this is, my Hackert cob has been sadly demoted, as I have been invaded by Italy.
Sorry Jake as much as I love your cob, I have a new soul mate.

Deckard

Wow, Italy did a good sight better than the last time they tried invading somebody. As I recall they got schooled by a few dudes on camels.

More on topic, yeah Savs are fine smokers. I just wish most of them didn't come with filters, but I have a nice filterless rusticated billiard that's a favorite of mine. I love when you get a bargain and $11 for a fine smoker is tops. Enjoy.

limpinghawk

Alexander said:
I love that you were willing to put some elbow grease into your new Savinelli. You were paid back ten-fold :puff:
I agree with you 100%.
I think it is better to put some of your own blood sweat and tears into a pipe, rather than simply buying it brand spanking new and smoking it.
I think that it is a little more rewarding.
Nothing wrong with buying a brand new pipe, I did, twice.

But there is something about bringing an old horse back to life again.
Plus there is always the added benefit of getting a Savinelli for only $11.00 :D

limpinghawk

Deckard said:
Wow, Italy did a good sight better than the last time they tried invading somebody. As I recall they got schooled by a few dudes on camels.

More on topic, yeah Savs are fine smokers. I just wish most of them didn't come with filters, but I have a nice filterless rusticated billiard that's a favorite of mine. I love when you get a bargain and $11 for a fine smoker is tops. Enjoy.
True...;)
then let me say that I got invaded by the Roman Empire..:puff:

Being as it was an estate pipe I had to take it the way it came, and it did not have a filter, nor did it have an ('adapter'?)
I think it was smoked bare, and I will continue on in its tradition of smoking her bare as well.
Even though the 803 was designed to use a filter, (or an adapter), she is smoking just fine without either.

It is an old pipe, probably been smoked without a filter for many years, and the stem still fits as tight as a latex glove.
However, I do at least want to try using a filter, I just might like it.

Hitch

Next Hawk will start explaining that some mixtures smoke better in the cob and some smoke better in the Sav....

Yup,its terminal TAD:bing:

limpinghawk

Hitch said:
Next Hawk will start explaining that some mixtures smoke better in the cob and some smoke better in the Sav....

Yup,its terminal TAD:bing:
Already noticing that one, want me to start explaining? :puff:
Lets see, CH in the cob, and Nakhla in the Hookah, no wait its McC in the Sav...oh forget it ...... lol

Marc

limpinghawk said:
True...;)
then let me say that I got invaded by the Roman Empire..:puff:

Being as it was an estate pipe I had to take it the way it came, and it did not have a filter, nor did it have an ('adapter'?)
I think it was smoked bare, and I will continue on in its tradition of smoking her bare as well.
Even though the 803 was designed to use a filter, (or an adapter), she is smoking just fine without either.

It is an old pipe, probably been smoked without a filter for many years, and the stem still fits as tight as a latex glove.
However, I do at least want to try using a filter, I just might like it.
Those Savinelli's will spoil you! Italian wood is sweet smoking! When I smoked briars, Savinelli was well represented in my racks.

limpinghawk

justcobs said:
Those Savinelli's will spoil you! Italian wood is sweet smoking! When I smoked briars, Savinelli was well represented in my racks.
I didn't know what to expect, I thought it all was a bunch of hype.
But as soon as I lit her up, I knew there was more than just a pipe used for the burning of tobacco.

I couldn't understand all the fuss about this pipe, and that pipe,
I smoked a pipe for a little while in the 60's and it was a Kaywoodie, or a Dr. Grabow, one or the other, I know it had a stinger in it that is hated.

Anyway, to me I thought a pipe, is a pipe, is a pipe?
just something to burn tobacco in....but alas, the difference some good quality brier makes.

Another thing I am not getting is the issue of having a separate pipe for different tobaccos?
I've been smoking/testing at least 6 different tobaccos in the past few days, and smoking them all out the same pipe.

All I do is to clean the pipe after a smoke, and bam!....load up a different tobacco

Believe it or not I am still looking for my one pipe so far I have to say it is the Savinelli all the way.
I have one more to try out, and it will be here by Tues.
It is the Quiet Comrade, similar to the Kirsten, but I think better.

So lets see my opinion after smoking from that little gem. :bing:

My avatar may change again...:p

Smoker99

I don't own any Savs, but agree Italian pipes all seem to be pretty smooth smokers. Several of my Italian made pipes are some of my best smokers.

Thomasb

Sav's are great pipes at a reasonable price. I love my two Sav's and plan on getting another one here shortly. Been eyeing a Dublin blast at the local B&M here lately. I've smoked them with both filter and adapter. I've been pretty much running with the adapter for the past year or so. Easier to get a fluffy through if I'm smoking some moist tobac or slobbering into my pipe. (some of that tobac is just damn tasty - mouth thinks I'm eating something good):bing:

Status
Not open for further replies.