1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

I've got a Falcon in the mail

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by David L, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David L

David L Member

Well, I gave in and started looking for a Falcon. I finally found an estate that seems to be in great shape so I snatched it up. In my search I found a design drawing for them that shows how they work and I was sold on them. They seem to be a great little pipe and I can't wait see how she smokes! Cheers :cheers:

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

David. Well done! You'll be pleased
    at the performance of the Falcon, and
    hopefully, you've read the primers that
    Falconeer has written on the subject.
    I use and enjoy mine a lot!

dp

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Good for you! Great bang about town pipes, these Falcons.

4. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

I love falcons. Except for cobs and far more expensive pipes (make sure you buy them from England), they are reliably good smokers. I especially like them when I'm working with dirty or greasy hands because I can hold them by the metal stem and not do any permanent damage. Also, I have yet to smoke one enough repeatedly to make the briar too wet to keep functioning. I suspect you could have one Falcon with one bowl as your only pipe and their suggestion that you have three to rotate is only to get people to buy more bowls. That said, I have 21 bowls and 7 stems because I developed a severe case of FAD a few years ago.

5. yinyang

FAD...nice.

I'm guessing it doesn't last, huh?

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Think it just might - or it could develop into something even worse - like RAD ( Rocket Acquistion Disease, admittedly a rare complaint which thankfully I seem to be the only sufferer so it keeps prices down! ) or even AAD (Alco Acquistion Disease) which I seem to be developing at the same time,

Best to all

Gerry

7. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

David,

Congrats on the Falcon. I have two - but I enjoy the one made in England much better than the Hunter series (black) made in the USA. The Hunter series has a smaller diameter draught hole - so I don't get as easy a draw through it. You may already know this - on mose of the Falcons you do not remove the bit. I almost broke my Hunter trying to get it off for cleaning before I did some web research and found that you were not supposed to remove.

Hope you enjoy the Falcon and get many years of use.

Bob

8. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

No, it does. I bought a beautiful, old, perfect straight grain hyberbole off ebay this year. Couldn't resist. They used to make very high quality bowls for Falcons.

9. David L

David L Member

I've read Gerry's primer.....it's great!

I can't wait until I get this pipe in the mail. I plan on making it my "car" pipe. It just seems like a good solid pipe. I will be a different experience I'm sure. It will be nice to have a pipe I can just toss around. Thanks for all the replies! I'll let you know when it gets in!

10. David L

David L Member

Well, I got my Falcon in and in short I really like it. It's comfortable in the hand, nice draw and the whole mid-smoke "unscrew it and dump out the moisture" is great! :bow: To me the only "drawback" is that the balance isn't what I'm used to. That will come in time though. But when I get a job again in maintenance or the like this will be the pipe I pack around all day. Anyway, I can see why so many of the folks here are fond of them. Cheers!

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Really glad it's going well for you - funny how you get used to the feel and balance of a pipe isn't it? It took me a long time to get used to the heavier feel of an International Falcon as I'd smoked the standards and Extras for so long. Oddly enough the feel weight and smoking experience of a Dr. Grabow Viking is pretty akin to a Falcon International but because the Grabow isn't a Falcon it doesn't seem strange.

It's not just my age making me nostalgic btw - but the older Falcon bowls really were superior - better briar with no fills, more individual rustication and better polish and finish - they really are worth watching out for on Ebay - as soon as you see a picture you'll spot where I'm at.

That said the modern ones smoke every bit as good as the older ones,

Happy smoking

Gerry

12. Beale

Beale Active Member

Congrats on the New pipe. I need to do some research on these Falcons. Well done, Beale.

13. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Grats on the Falcon!

What you can also fall prey to is BAD... Bowl Acquisition Disorder, where you feel the urge to buy multiples of every Falcon bowl shape for your pipe. Good luck!

14. Marc

Marc Active Member

Over the past year or two Falcon's have become my primary pipe and I rarely smoke cobs anymore, I blame this change on Falconeer:byg:

15. yinyang

The end is nigh! Marc, forsaking cobs, has just brought the Apocalypse on us all! Thanks a heap, Gerry! :xd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.