izmir turkish suggestions

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tenthgate, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

I'm smoking sunday picnic from Cornell and diehl at the moment and really love it. It contains virginia, perique, and izmir turkish. I'd like to find some alternate (non-latakia) blends to compare.

Any suggestions?

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

McClelland's Tudor Castle....Va, Perique and Yenidje('Turkish'). Another would be C&D's Oriental Silk...a bulk blend, no less.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Cornell & Diehl's "Turkish Blending" tobacco is Izmir & Va leaf. It's mighty good by itself and blends very well with other C&D blends.

Ed
    Puff

P.S. Have you tried C&D #414 "Oriental Silk", you ought to. If you like Va-Per-Turks, then Oriental Silk is right up your alley. It's smooth, smokes very well, fairly cool, very tasty, just the right amount of spice, excels in a meer! I really like it.

4. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Thanks, I did some reading up and looks like the silk will be on my next purchase :) Bulk is a nice option, so i won't resist :)

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Another vote for Oriental Silk - one of my Top 5 tobaccos. I was surprised at this one - how much I enjoy it. Puff describes it very well.

Lestrade likes this.
  6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

GLP Embarcadero is Va. and Izmir. It was the first Izmir blend I ever tasted and I still like it best.
    Dan

7. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Low Country Waccamaw is Virginia and Izmir...Pretty good stuff.

8. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

So I tried the whole spectrum, ordered
    C&D oriental silk
    Tudor Castle
    Cairo

Thanks for the suggestions all. I'm pretty happy with Sunday Picnic but at times it will have a sort of chemically taste which may be a number of things, but the bottom of the bowl sure tastes fine and the overall taste is nice and full which I do like :D It'll be fun to see where it lands in the spectrum of similar tabaccys

9. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

ORIENTAL SILK!!! YES!!!!
    Thanks for the recommend guys, I sampled Tudor castle and oriental silk so far. Tudor seems rich and tasty but the real winner so far is the oriental silk. It's like Sunday picnic but +1, giving me more of what I'm looking for somehow. Nice suggestion guys.

10. esteban

esteban Active Member

just got 8 oz. turkish izmir fro 4 noggins (22$) and have blended it with praire wind ( I think 3 virginias and perique) WOW I like it. Clove and nutmeg flavor with the virginias. A keeper for a blend. Seems to be a little trippy also. Strong taste on back of throat. :nwor:

11. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

+11111

12. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

+1 Embarcadero is quite tasty!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.