JackKnife Plug

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by illiteratti, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illiteratti

illiteratti Member

Not a review, but...

I finally found some JackKnife Plug at a local B&M today, haven't smoked it yet, but I had to open and sample the tin aroma. It is incredible! I just want to eat it! I am trying so hard not to cut a chunk off and stick it under my lip!

In no way is this a tobacco that I normally would try, being I only smoke a Latakia blend, but I may have to try something new... This is a Kentucky and Virginia tobacco, so is there anything out there that is similar? I'm just not familiar with other types of tobaccos.

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

The best plug I have smoked to date. Just light it up and enjoy! I have some of the original release, and 8-9 months of age makes a huge difference.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Age, even 4-6 months does wonders. Sure glad Greg did this. Now, there's a ready-rubbed JKP too!

Enjoy!

Ed
    Puff

4. Gary

Gary Member

I bought a tin of this but have yet to open it nor try it. Looking forward to it, but I have too many other things to smoke first. Glad it gets good reviews here.

5. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

From what I understand, the triple play is a less intense version of JKP but good as well. I've got a tin of each dating from last spring that I'm looking forward to.

6. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Haven't had it yet, but it's on my to do list.

7. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Keep meaning to order JKP and always forget. Like Mark, it is on the to do list!

Mark w4mms likes this.
  8. KevinP

KevinP Member

Doesn't the tin aroma remind you of beef jerky? Mine usually does, though there are times when I don't get that at all. Always an excellent smoke though.

9. Ken Mays

Ken Mays Member

I think I would like it better if it were a bit more Virginia and a little less fire-cured. It's a rather dry smoke and I don't think I'm going to pursue a follow-up tin.

10. Capt

Capt Active Member

Ken, when it's aged (even 8-9 months) that dryness disappears, and the Va will be more pronounced. Don't give up yet!!!

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to try this for a while, now. I think I might get myself a tin of the regular plug to age, and a tin of the ready rubbed for immediate enjoyment soon.

When it comes to that dryness, Ken, I might suggest trying Cornell & Diehl's Night Train. It's not a proper plug, but an unsliced crumble cake. That said, it's a really nice VA/Bur/Per which is VA dominant, yet maintains a medium-strong level of nicotine. Nothing that will overwhelm you (or rather, nothing that will overwhelm me) but strong enough to satisfy. Which, for me, is a rare treat among semi-sweet Virginia-forward blends. I know JKP has no perique, but I thought that if your only complaint with JKP was a lack of sweetness then Night Train might be something that would interest you. I'm not saying they're very similar - as I've said, I've never yet smoked JKP.

12. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Nesta, I didn't give you any? I knew I forgot something! PM incoming!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.