Jackknife Plug

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tenthgate, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

I've gotten through 3 bowls of Jackknife Plug now, a new G.L. Pease blend.

First smoke I just took a couple of sheets of the plug and stuff them in, that was a big mistake as I got a solid dose of only one of the flavors in it, which was surprisingly close to some kind of BBQ, but peppery. Like this is was fairly gross and one dimensional.

Second time I tried the "cube" method. Third time as well. This way it's a delicious and all flavours are blended well, pretty potent but nice tasting virginias with a peppery undertone, a little barbecue. Leave it out a bit longer than usual so it'll light easier. I really like the format as it adds a little something interesting to the pipe ritual, and provides a lot control over the packing process for any given pipe.

Bottom line, I'd recommend this stuff. I smoke it the way I smoke Dunhill's nightcap or Germain Brown flake. It's a potent nicotine hit and a nice bold taste. I'll be keeping a modest stock of it :)

Was wondering if anyone else had tried it out,and what your thoughts are. :bing:

2. MikePiper1

MikePiper1 Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. This is some good stuff. My only complaint with the stuff is it seems a little "young" yet and needs a little more time to age. I have about a pound of it chillin in my cellar and look forward to burning some more in a few months!

3. Redone

Redone Member

As a matter of fact yes I have just tonight and am smoking it as I type this post. Tigercasual and I did a trade (thanks) He sent me a nice chunk to try. I had a little time after work and cut off a bit and put it in my new Viking. It smoked ok but way too wet and strong. The pipe is too new for this stuff.
    After dinner I cut some flakes off and put some rubbed up in my DiMonte that I smoke all my flakes in. This was much better but I need to dry it more since lighting it was a chore. Once it got going it was really good. Its a strong , full flavored and had quite a nick kick. I like the spice and pepper taste and its a true sipping tobacco due to its strength and nick level.
    Overall I like it but need to work with it and give it more time .It did get better as I smoked it that's for sure.

4. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Aye, it's a chore to get going. I just smoked a bowl myself after posting. The taste was grand. Got through half the bowl before needing to put it out due to dizziness. I do like that, however.

Stuff this strong makes me think of some native chief with a wicked pipe. :sailor:

I'll put away a couple tins for cellaring as well as see what happens.

5. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

It's a cigar plug, nothing special.

6. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I had a couple bowls worth at the local pipe club and I was completely underwhelmed. It's not a patch on the classic plugs from G&H or SG.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Explain your statement as in why you say it's a cigar plug and what makes up a cigar plug? Where did you get your information?

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

8. Redone

Redone Member

I will agree with Key's here of all the pipe tobaccos I have smoke this has cigar taste to it for sure.It had a Maduro type taste to it, spice ,pepper. Being a former cigar smoker it was nice.

9. Puff The Magic

Thanks for "pinch-hitting" for KP Redone. Ok, so the flavors make it a "cigar plug"........... I see. Well, then I guess nearly all tobaccos are "cigar plugs" since they have flavors that are found in cigars.:rolleyes:

Ed
    Puff

10. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

I can see how that could happen, I was ready to put it aside (and did) after my first few smokes. What can I say though, like anything good, it grows on you.

When I first came to pipe smoking and imagined the "oriental tobaccos" that people spoke about, i envisioned and looked forward to something potent, with a taste that only came through with patience but was rewarding for that reason. By the time I got around to actual orientals I didn't really find this. Latakia was easy to get into and not what I'd expected. This plug though, it pretty much has all the things I was looking for in a complex (to pack, to savor, to smoke well) tobacco.

To each his own I reckon. Although you do have me curious to try these other plug tobaccos.

11. Puff The Magic

I liked preppin' it c-ball/air pocket with shag-ribbon cut then topfill'd with mini cubes mixed with rubbed. Very burley smoke and the va's accompanied nicely, very smooth powerful nic "smooth slap" sort of like. Sweets to chocolates to a nice stronger finish and a pleasant one too if y'er not too buzz'd. :bing:

Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.