Jarring question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DaveyBoy, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

I am finally getting to the point where I have enough tobacco on hand to start jarring and my first 8 oz bag took up well over 2 - 8oz jars. Now I know the jars are volume and the tobacco is weight, but is there a rule of thumb how many jars it takes to cellar a given amount 8oz or lb for instance?

2. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

If you search the forum for "mason jars" you will see many threads on this. Personally, I can get a pound of tobacco into three 16-oz jars with a little left over for smoking now. Four ounces of tobacco fits in an 8-oz jar with a little left over. Two ounces fits wasily in an 8-oz jar, and an ounce of tobacco fits in a 4-oz jar. Part of it depends on how tightly you want to pack the tobacco in the jar, and opinions vary on what's best. It also depends a little on how the tobacco is cut, and on the type of tobacco.

3. gahdzila

gahdzila Member

Yeah......sorta. Depends on how tight you squish it, whether it is ready rubbed or flake, etc.

For me, an 8 ounce jar holds about 2 ounces of ready rubbed comfortably. A pint jar (16 oz) holds a bit more than 4 ounces of ready rubbed. I can fit a 14 ounce tub of Prince Albert into 3 pint jars.

Flakes are more compressed, of course. And if you aren't anal about keeping the flakes nice and neat, you can stuff more in a jar for sure. I can fit 2 ounces of Stonehaven or Penzance flakes into a 4 ounce jar, for instance. But I can only fit about one ounce of ready rubbed into a 4 ounce jar.

4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I can get 8 oz of tobacco in a quart jar. This is usually how I jar up blends to cellar.

5. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

This seems to fall into line. I had 8ozs of shag/ribbon cut that fit into 2 1/2 8 oz jars

6. ShawnP

ShawnP Member

This has also been my experience. But as said above it really depends on how tightly you pack the jar.

Shawn

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Same here. I use smaller jars for
    a current smoking rotation.

JRobert likes this.
  8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I can get one 1.5 ounce pouch/50 gram tin into a jelly jar, and four ounces (or two pouches/tins) into a quart jar. Depends how hard I pack it, but I like how the math works out: One pound will fit into four jars, which means that one crate of quart-sized jars from Wally World will hold three pounds of tobacco.

9. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I always do 2oz tobacco in a 8oz jar, I like to keep everything uniform, so I know all of my 8oz jars started as 2oz tobacco. I might get some 16oz jars for my next order of a few one pound bulks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.