JFH's STM vs Original Frog Morton?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Dave Dueck, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I've discovered I really enjoy aro/English crossover blends (for lack of a better term) - those blends that offer something for the sweet tooth as well as a smoky, earthy, complex boldness that oriental tobaccos deliver. Just for Him's Shortcut to Mushrooms is a delight to me, as is McClelland's A.M. Pipe and, to a lesser extent, JM Boswell's Bear Blend.

Considering my love of Shortcut to Mushrooms, I've heard wonderful, enticing things about McC's Frog Morton series, the original blend in particular - sweet and smoky, earthy and deep and thick, yet deliciously mild and cool. Can anyone who has smoked both at length compare them for me and highlight any major differences? FM is obviously a bit on the expensive side compared to STM, although it's probably available locally. I'd love to hear thoughts from aficionados of light English blends!

2. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Haven't smoked both, but I have a new found love for FM. I opened a tin of it Friday night and I'm about 3/4 of the way through it now.

3. smokey422

smokey422 Member

I haven't smoked STM but suggest that you try Frog Morton on the Town, a delightful blend that I enjoy. It has both Latakia flavor and a bit of sweetness. I prefer it to the original Frog Morton (which is also a good smoke).

Smokey

ShilohHollow likes this.
  4. will

will Member

I have yet to try any of the FM blends but I really like STM.
    It is a nice change of pace for me since I rarely smoke aromatics.

5. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I agree with Smokey, I like Frog on the town better than the original.
    Shortcut is a little bit more on the sweet side, Frogs are a little more on the smokey earthy side. You should be happy with both.

ShilohHollow likes this.
  6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I smoke both. Love both! They are each unique in the best ways.

7. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

STM isn't anything like any of the Frog's. STM is an aromatic with it's vanilla type sweetness and none of the Frogs would be classified as aromatic, at least none that I have tried. I have yet to try Cellar which has a liquer base, I think.

8. Phatmandu

Phatmandu Member

Agree w/Flatbush...nothing alike to me either. Almost finished w/the 1 oz. of STM I got on MON. Kinda like it

9. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

To me they are both very good but not very much alike to my palate. I have to say I strongly prefer the STM. :)

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Just to throw a wrench in here, check out Chesdin Mix from Benjamin Hartwell range. It's in this ballpark too.

To me, Shortcut was more balanced and smooth, more types of tobacco and a more interesting essence added than Frog Mo. The other variants, notably On The Town are more like "real" tobacco - with some spice mixed in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.