Just a Pipe - What Do I Really Want?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by RTOdhner, Oct 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

It was a beautiful day today, and I sat out behind the probation office and smoked a pipe as I usually do over lunch. My straight Falcon with an Apple-style bowl full of Walnut is a really satisfying smoke, and I got to pondering what I really want from "just a pipe." I like something a little special for the last pipe of the day, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about what I smoke during the rest of the day, and for most of the day I just want a pipe full of tobacco.

I don't look for an "experience" or complexity or anything pretentious, just that nutty sweet quality found in an honest burley blend. A little Latakia or essence of adult beverage adds a nice touch, but I still want that simple burley goodness at the root of it all. As far as room note goes, I just want a lightly sweet fragrance that smells like, well, pipe tobacco. Nothing fantastic, but nothing foul either - just something pipe-like. I don't want anything that really demands my attention or keeps me busy keeping up with the complexity of the smoke. Just a pleasant tobacco blend. As far as my day-to-day pipe goes - the actual pipe itself - I just want it to be well-constructed with a nice draw. No fancy silver bands or genuine amber stems, just a pipe that isn't butt ugly and doesn't gurgle or wheeze.

Expensive pipes and upscale blends are nice and I do enjoy them as a treat, but they're nothing I want to smoke all the time. If I did that then they would cease to be special. I don't want anything Earth-shattering or that offers a smoking experience akin to nekked bungee jumping, I just want a bowl of tobacco. What do the rest of you want from "just a pipe"?

2. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

I look very forward to the day that I'm in a situation equivelant to this.
    Also, thanks for the idea! Added that one to the bucket list.
    I just want a pleasant smoking experience from my pipes, something that allows me to relax and escape into my own little world for a short time.

RTOdhner likes this.
  3. Capt

Capt Active Member

Hmm, I guess I never expect anything like you described above. I just never put much thought into it.

RTOdhner likes this.
  4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind if I could get a custom made Sasquatch, Nate King, Rad Davis, Larrysson, Grant Batson or Turner for $10 each. Yes, I would already own more of these if that were the case. In other words, I don't enjoy artisan pipes because they are expensive, so much as I love their looks, engineering and smoking characteristics.

I don't smoke all day or even several times per day. I usually smoke one bowl at lunch during the week, and 1-2 on Saturday. Being limited on smoke-time, I prefer the earth shattering experience. I'd rather not waste my only bowl with meh. Great pipe + great blend = great enjoyment for my 1 bowl. Extra time is short for me, and I want to squeeze everything I can out of that hour of burn time. It's why I don't buy bulk tobacco I rate under an 8 on a 1 - 10 scale.

I guess I have the same mentality about other things. I don't off-road a beater four-banger, even though it will often do the job. I have a passion for off-roading, Mopars, horsepower and the outdoors, so I go all out. I guess like so many other things, if I'm going to burn free time doing it, I want it to be worth while.

The bottom line is, whatever floats your boat! :bing:

Rodfather and RTOdhner like this.
  5. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I think my preferences are rather well known by now. To me simple pleasures are best, at least for me.

6. BradNTX

Your favorites are meerschaums... right?

:poke:

Rewster66, RTOdhner and AussieTX like this.
  7. Goat

Goat Active Member

I know exactly what you mean. Right now it's the end of my work week and I just finished dinner. So I'm kicking back in my recliner with my new IMP loaded up with some Irish Oak. But tomorrow...

Tomorrow is my day off and I have a ton of chores to do around the house. I already know what I'll be smoking. It'll be one of my DGE cobs loaded up with either half and half or McC Deep Hollow. Simple smoke, pleasant and just straight forward tobacco, nothing fancy.

That's my "all day", or "go to"combination. Fancy pipes and complex blends I smoke at night when I can actually relax and enjoy them.

RTOdhner likes this.
  8. BradNTX

See, I consider Irish Oak a "fancy" blend. I smoked it today in a Pete XL during lunch and felt like I was watching a hot girl nekkid bungie jumpin'. :beck:

9. Goat

Goat Active Member

[quote/]radNTX, post: 391426, member: 768"]See, I consider Irish Oak a "fancy" blend. I smoked it today in a Pete XL during lunch and felt like I was watching a hot girl nekkid bungie jumpin'. :beck:[/quote]
    Irish Oak is a fancy blend in my book also. That's why I'm smoking it at night.

10. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I go for a basket pipe that is drilled right, or a cob I can toss one of my vulcanite stems on (acrylics on cobs hurt my teeth) I love a HUGE pipe bowl so I can go about my day with smoker's pride (usually a black cavendish) as my all day easy going smoke. The price is right, and I don't worry if I have to dump the bowl from a farm-type containment that I do NOT want to smoke.... be it hay or manure or worse. When I get done for the day and I get to sit down at home... it's carter hall in my favorite (dedicated) cob. If I want a fancy blend, I try it at night in place of the CH. Some nights I try to squeeze in both, or more than just two :-0 Insomnia contributes to the latter.

I learned from DGE that CH in a cob kicks tush, but I try to reserve it for relaxation. I prefer to enjoy the simpler things, as they are readily available and quite good on their own. I have never tried a flake, and have only purchased one "tin" (town topic) as it was a maple aromatic (I have a soft spot for them.)

To each his own, I like CH in a cob and if that's all that was left in the world.. I'd be happy still.
    PS--I have no intention of owning a peterson, dunhill, etc, etc, unless they are priced comparably to a no name estate. :)

RTOdhner and Rodfather like this.
  11. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

During the work week it is an OTC (Sugar Barrel at the moment) in a cob. Easy, good smoke that requires no thought. Just simple enjoyment. On the weekends when running around it will now be the same OTC in my new to me meer. When I am sitting at home on the weekend it is my "fancier" blends.

Rodfather and RTOdhner like this.
  12. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

For an all day not thinking about it smoke I use CH in the Diplomat, when I can get it. For me that is the perfect all day smoke.

RTOdhner likes this.
  13. menachem

menachem Member

For me, I can enjoy pretty much any pipe at any time, although I am more partial to my expensive pipes. Not because they are expensive, although many times the smoking qualities are by far superior to my "cheap" pipes. Clinching onto those heavy freehands DOES play havoc with me teeth though.

Here in europe, we have different tobaccos than from the states. I usually go for a vanilla or MacBaren's Velvet Green. There is also a coffee tobacco from Hörst Lichter that is pretty good, although it tends to be juuuuuust a touch wet.

What *I* really want is a nice looking pipe with a nice tasting tobacco. Something where people say, "Nice pipe.....nice smell". I don't think it matters so long as we are enjoying the pipe. Happy smoking.[​IMG]

RTOdhner likes this.
  14. DGErwin11

Actually, I currently smoke mainly meers at home. My home cobs are slightly neglected. But out and about I take a couple of cobs. And CH of course.

15. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I smoke to relax so I want my favorite blends in a well drilled, sturdy pipe. It doesn't have to be expensive on either account, just something i enjoy.

Snuff takes care of the nicotine beast most of the time, and I mostly use Toque Natural Toast, my "Carter Hall in a cob" snuff. That will switch up occasionally, but when J think of an all day tobacco to use, it is a snuff.

RTOdhner likes this.
  16. Artistik

Artistik Member

I like burleys, VA/BURs, and straight VAs. CH or SWR during the day and Red Cake at night when I have more time. My "fancy" tobaccos are from Boswell and they are aromatics that I smoke sometimes on the weekend or if going out to eat at a pipe friendly location (outdoors of course). I do not own high end pipes. Most of my collection of medium priced briars are Savs and Stans with a Boswell and Nording signature thrown into the mix. I have probably eight Cobs, a sweet little Arlington billard and soon will have my second Estate Dr. Grabow and those are the pipes I reach for about 90% of the time. What I look for is a simple smoke out of a well made pipe and SWR, CH, Dr. G and Cobs fit that description perfectly for me.

RTOdhner and DGErwin11 like this.
  17. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Just a pipe. (I'm easy to please)

RTOdhner likes this.
  18. DGErwin11

Or maybe just easy.:rolleyes:

RTOdhner, snowman and dwaugh like this.
  19. furious

furious Junque collector

An old, well cared for briar (preferably pre-WWII vintage English) and some 965 or Squadron Leader are great daytime smokes. Still love Edgeworth RR, which was my first tobacco upon taking up the pipe in the mid 90s.

RTOdhner and Rodfather like this.
  20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm w/ RTO on this big time . I smoke alot . If I were to smoke one or two bowls a day , I guess I'd smoke different than I do , maybe . I love MB Latakia , it's flavorfull and complex , changing throughtout the smoke , and it is one of the great mind bending blends ! I cant smoke it all day .... it's to damn good . . lol .. it's the kind of smoke that forces me to sit and either ponder or vegatate into a void where my brain shuts off and the only thing that brings me back is ... " If this had been an actual emergancy " ..Ya know , that constant tone thing for a while . I love those times but I cant be there all day cause my wife , kids and job would suffer . I can light a bowl of MB GE and still function mostly , if I choose [ it's the best Burley blend ] . SWR , Middletons Cherry , Half and Half , Carter Hall , PA soft vanilla and SP Black Cavendish are what I mainly smoke throughtout the day . I can fuction w/ all those blends and enjoy them at the same time . I was smoking a bowl of Sutliff CD blend a while back [ it's such a great blend ! ] and apparently , my son Joseph had been asking me something for quite a few minutes ... I didnt here him and he got pissed and walked off to get mom , saying I had turned into a zombie [ it's the constant tone thing before the " if this had been an emergancy " alert ] . If I could function and smoke MB Latakia , Sutliff CD , SG Skiff [ loving it ! ] and the like ... I would . Be it as it may , I'm super happy lighting up H&H 10 times a day while I'm working . The other cool thing is if yer smokin an OTC while out and about , and people ask what youre smoking , you can tell them it's at the store .

RTOdhner, Raffxr7 and Artistik like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.